or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2505  

post #37561 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post


Brown Shell a Strands at the Courthouse today.


Abraham Lincoln wishes he had shoes that gorgeous!

post #37562 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Looking for some insight from cordovan owners.

I would think it's more preferable to purchase shells in casual shoes rathan than formal shoes due to the shine and additional thickness/bulk. I know this is highly subjective, but would you guys prefer a shell leed or sheel FA?

 

Since the FA doesn't normally come in shell, I assume you would be talking about an MTO.  But, to answer your questions:

 

(1) You really can't go wrong with the Leeds.  Everyone can use a plain-toe blucher in their collection and the Leeds is particularly nice and will never go out of style.

 

(2) There are differences of opinion regarding the casualness of shell as compared to calf.  This debate was just recently played out yet again over on the Alden thread.  My personal opinion is that wherever calf is appropriate, shell is too.  OTOH, I generally prefer shell to calf anyway, so perhaps that should be taken into account.

 

As to which one you should choose . . . in this thread, the answer to that question is "both."

post #37563 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4nimal View Post
 

Am I the first to post pics of his MTO Eagle County?  Here they are off foot and in service (did not take any top down shots - I think it makes legs look like trunks and feet like little stubs).  My first MTO and I love it.

 

Specs:

 

Eagle County MTO

2066 Walnut Calf

Brass Eyelets, 3 Speed Hooks

Dark Brown Contrast Stitching

Independence Lining and Insole

Black Split Reverse Welt

Toby Mini Lug

Brown Transparent Edge Dressing

 

 

 

 

 

I placed the order mid December and they arrived today.  And all for $197.  I'll be waiting to see everyone else's.


WOW! One of the more impressive MTOs i've seen!  VERY NICE!

post #37564 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post
 

Did I miss something here? When did standard calf shoes go up to $365? A year ago they were $335, then $345, now $365... Shell has jumped from $595 to $650. 


might this have something to do with ownership change?

 

Nobody on this forum buys for full price anyways... but this still kind of bugs me.

 

AE shell is now the same price as Alden shell. The daltons are even more expensive than alden shell boots. I would take an Alden #8 boot at $699 over a burgundy shell dalton at $720 any day.

post #37565 of 70737
Gents, I need to pick up a pair of black captoes soon, and I'm curious to hear opinions on Fifth Avenues as a go-to shoe for job interviews, weddings, funerals, etc. Does the broguing along the cap render these shoes inappropriate for conservative environments, or am I overthinking it?

Also, thoughts on the Brooks Brothers version of the Fifth Avenue, with the combination sole and Poron footbed? These are available in my size for $199 during the upcoming seconds sale.
post #37566 of 70737

Ok... ok... I think I've decided on what I'm grabbing on the sale... MacNeil shell (burgundy) and Neumok (navy) :slayer:

post #37567 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve View Post

Gents, I need to pick up a pair of black captoes soon, and I'm curious to hear opinions on Fifth Avenues as a go-to shoe for job interviews, weddings, funerals, etc. Does the broguing along the cap render these shoes inappropriate for conservative environments, or am I overthinking it?

Also, thoughts on the Brooks Brothers version of the Fifth Avenue, with the combination sole and Poron footbed? These are available in my size for $199 during the upcoming seconds sale.

I prefer the Poiron insoles and any type of rubber sole.  If you spend time standing or walking, it might be a good choice for you.  If you spend all your time sitting, it doesn't make as much difference. I've always imagined that if rubber soles had been invented before leather soles, only professional dancers would wear leather soled shoes.

post #37568 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve View Post

Gents, I need to pick up a pair of black captoes soon, and I'm curious to hear opinions on Fifth Avenues as a go-to shoe for job interviews, weddings, funerals, etc. Does the broguing along the cap render these shoes inappropriate for conservative environments, or am I overthinking it?

Also, thoughts on the Brooks Brothers version of the Fifth Avenue, with the combination sole and Poron footbed? These are available in my size for $199 during the upcoming seconds sale.
You're overthinking it. It's just fine for those applications. If you haven't had a poron footbed before, be aware that it can make the shoe fit slightly more snug. It's got just a bit more give than the standard insole. I like it; if I'm standing around for a while my Wilberts feel better than my Leeds, and that's the biggest difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45 View Post

Ok... ok... I think I've decided on what I'm grabbing on the sale... MacNeil shell (burgundy) and Neumok (navy) icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Nothin' like burgundy shell gunboats. nod[1].gif
post #37569 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycru View Post

I prefer the Poiron insoles and any type of rubber sole.  If you spend time standing or walking, it might be a good choice for you.  If you spend all your time sitting, it doesn't make as much difference. I've always imagined that if rubber soles had been invented before leather soles, only professional dancers would wear leather soled shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post

You're overthinking it. It's just fine for those applications. If you haven't had a poron footbed before, be aware that it can make the shoe fit slightly more snug. It's got just a bit more give than the standard insole. I like it; if I'm standing around for a while my Wilberts feel better than my Leeds, and that's the biggest difference.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give 'em a go. smile.gif
post #37570 of 70737

Those walnut MTO Eagle County boots are phenomenal looking.  What would the MTO cost be to do those now?  I know they were $197 before....

post #37571 of 70737

OK--just spoke to Allison.  I'm doing a Shaker Heights in all leather (as much as I hate to do away with the Harris Tweed) on a Toby mini-lug.  I don't know if they'll look as nice as everyone's Eagle Country MTOs, but I realized that I can't possibly fit in that last, and I have similar concerns about the Promontory Point (I may be the only person who prefers/needs the bulbous toe shown on AE's website over the tapered toe that it actually has). 

 

A couple of makeup questions:

Leather:  I love the chili colored calf but am thinking about going with something a little more water resistant.  I'm looking for a modestly dressy (trad) boot that can handle WI winters without galoshes or more care than a wipedown once I'm in my office.  Cognac Dublin or Golden Brown Chromexcel, perhaps?  I prefer the reddish hues of burgundy and chili, but I don't think they make Dublin or Chromexcel in these colors for AE; do I have any other options?   What are the relative merits of Dublin and Chromexcel?  (I'm of course covering this with Allison, but I'd appreciate advice).

 

Eyelets: I neglected to ask her a simple question: can I add speed hooks to a boot that usually has none?  I'm thinking of adding brass eyelets to the bottom four pairs and speed hooks to the top three.  Otherwise I'm thinking:

 

Dark Brown Stitching

Independence Lining
Matching Split Reverse Welt
Brown Transparent Edge Dressing

 

 

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

post #37572 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post

I'm doing a Shaker Heights in all leather (as much as I hate to do away with the Harris Tweed) on a Toby mini-lug.

I'm looking for a modestly dressy (trad) boot that can handle WI winters without galoshes or more care than a wipedown once I'm in my office.  Cognac Dublin or Golden Brown Chromexcel, perhaps?  I prefer the reddish hues of burgundy and chili, but I don't think they make Dublin or Chromexcel in these colors for AE; do I have any other options?   What are the relative merits of Dublin and Chromexcel?  (I'm of course covering this with Allison, but I'd appreciate advice).

Eyelets: I neglected to ask her a simple question: can I add speed hooks to a boot that usually has none?
Sounds like a great build. My Bayfields are tan Dublin, and I have some navy boat shoes in Chromexcel; you can't go wrong either way. Horween makes a gorgeous burgundy CXL that might suit but I've not seen anything from Allen Edmonds that specifically uses it. You might consider cognac Dublin. Either kind of leather would be far more durable than calfskin. If in doubt, see if Allison might mail you some samples -- it's been done last year with shell, she might be able to do it with other leathers.

Speed hooks can be added in place of eyelets. I don't have a huge sample size, but between the speed hooks on my LLBean Cresta hikers and some on a pair of boots I had done locally, AE's are by far the better hardware when it comes to how they attach to the leather and how they work.
post #37573 of 70737

Did anyone else notice the Shell Cordovan price jump from $595 to $650 for all the shoes in shell?

post #37574 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

Did anyone else notice the Shell Cordovan price jump from $595 to $650 for all the shoes in shell?
I'm not surprised. Alden's prices are rising as well.
post #37575 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyy View Post

I'd love that promontory point more as a plain toe boot... Is it possible to remove the cap toe?

 

Don't think so, as it changes the pattern. I tried to get the pull tabs on the Eagle County changed, but Allison said they couldn't (read: wouldn't) do that. You can, however, get the Shaker Heights sans tweed like (I think) OptoDoc did and WICaniac is doing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...