or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2489  

post #37321 of 70737

So I'm back at home and put on the Dalton's to try to break in on them... I was curious and compared them with the lenght of my Santoni's which I used as reference when I wrote the AE Customer Service. Santoni dubmonks are 8UK and theChelseas are 8.5UK... which according to AE site the 9US of them woul be  the same as an 8.5UK. :confused:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I would sell these to my cousin but I want my Dalton boots, so what size should I get?

post #37322 of 70737

^^

Width down length up, that's the way we like to...

 

Right? If those are a 9 D, then a 9.5 C would be a little longer and about the same width, AFAIK.

 

There's also probably going to be a lot more extension in the toebox on a Santoni than on most AEs. It's an aesthetic thing.

post #37323 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm33 View Post

That's one of the frustrating things about dealing with AE. I know that this is an "appreciation" thread, and I love AE shoes (own nearly 20 pairs) but my burgundy shell Daltons are the only pair of AE shell cordovan that arrived at my door with zero defects. They seem to have consistent struggles in working with shell cordovan. I don't believe I ever had to send a pair of calf AEs back due to defects...but my shell Park Aves, Patriots, MacNeils and now my Jeffersons had a problem. I'm now at the point where I'm reluctant to buy shell from AE. I have had better luck with Alden shell in terms of quality, so they may become my go-to for shell in the future.

You're raining on my parade, I was hoping to pick up my first pair of shell (seconds) but with that frequency of problems it doesn't bode we'll. Alden doesn't make shoes in my size so that options out.
post #37324 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

^^

Width down length up, that's the way we like to...

 

Right? If those are a 9 D, then a 9.5 C would be a little longer and about the same width, AFAIK.

 

There's also probably going to be a lot more extension in the toebox on a Santoni than on most AEs. It's an aesthetic thing.

 

So if I understood correctly, the length on the AE if I go with 9.5US is not going to catch up with the dubmonk? The tightness is in my little toe and in that part. Don't know the propper term. :laugh:

post #37325 of 70737

Betegeuse - not all "UK" sizes are equivalent to each other, much less equivalent to any particular US size.  In my experience, Santonis run large relative to other UK sized brands.  I've tried on an 8.5 UK Santoni that was bigger than a 9 UK Edward green, side by side in the same store.  Santoni is the only brand where I can wear an 8 UK in some shoes.  Everywhere else I am an 8.5UK, and more often a 9UK.

post #37326 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
 

 

So if I understood correctly, the length on the AE if I go with 9.5US is not going to catch up with the dubmonk? The tightness is in my little toe and in that part. Don't know the propper term. :laugh:


It's tough to say. All I can tell you is that a 9.5 will be longer than what you have now, and that a 9.5 C should be about the same width as your current 9D. I can't say how much longer it would be.

post #37327 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 

Betegeuse - not all "UK" sizes are equivalent to each other, much less equivalent to any particular US size.  In my experience, Santonis run large relative to other UK sized brands.  I've tried on an 8.5 UK Santoni that was bigger than a 9 UK Edward green, side by side in the same store.  Santoni is the only brand where I can wear an 8 UK in some shoes.  Everywhere else I am an 8.5UK, and more often a 9UK.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 


It's tough to say. All I can tell you is that a 9.5 will be longer than what you have now, and that a 9.5 C should be about the same width as your current 9D. I can't say how much longer it would be.

 

So I should try to stretch them and see how they fit?

post #37328 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySaw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post

... I don't personally like split toe bluchers b/c they seem to lack personality, but they would work with suit and casual wear.

Here's one to change your mind about split-toe bluchers.  Gaziano & Girling's Hove:



(photo form Leatherfoot.com)

Or the Edward Green Dover. nod[1].gif
post #37329 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrobit View Post

I find it more surprising that you've never seen an AE non-shell shoe without defects. I see them all the time (although they're usually minor).

I think I've just been lucky. smile.gif The medallion on the left shoe of my Strands is a little off-center, but 99 of 100 people wouldn't notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post

You're raining on my parade, I was hoping to pick up my first pair of shell (seconds) but with that frequency of problems it doesn't bode we'll. Alden doesn't make shoes in my size so that options out.

Don't let me deter you. When they get them right, AE shell cordovan are great shoes and last for years. In fact, buying seconds can save you big money - you will just have to check them over. I probably could have lived with the first pair of Jeffersons I received if I got them for half price, but when I pay full price they'd better be perfect or damn near perfect.
post #37330 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post
 

 

Great looking shine. Are you referring to this wax? 

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF652_1_40000000001_-1_

 

Rather than buying all the colors, would it make sense to buy neutral? That way you can get the proper shine without adding more color to the shoe. I feel that the "premium shoe polish" is enough to restore the shoe's color. 

Thanks. Yes, that would be the wax. I've actually never used AE wax or polish - here in Canada AE is not easy to get, and shipping from the factory is very expensive, so I went from Kiwi brand wax to Saphir. As for colour, I use black wax rather than neutral.  Wax doesn't really add colour, so black is definitely a good choice for browns, reds, burgundy, and black.  Over time it might build a bit of an antiquing effect, which I consider a benefit.  Maybe try both neutral and black, and see which you prefer.

post #37331 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySaw View Post
 

Thanks. Yes, that would be the wax. I've actually never used AE wax or polish - here in Canada AE is not easy to get, and shipping from the factory is very expensive, so I went from Kiwi brand wax to Saphir. As for colour, I use black wax rather than neutral.  Wax doesn't really add colour, so black is definitely a good choice for browns, reds, burgundy, and black.  Over time it might build a bit of an antiquing effect, which I consider a benefit.  Maybe try both neutral and black, and see which you prefer.

Awesome. I'll pick up the wax from the AE link after work. Thanks. 

post #37332 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post


You're raining on my parade, I was hoping to pick up my first pair of shell (seconds) but with that frequency of problems it doesn't bode we'll. Alden doesn't make shoes in my size so that options out.

 

Not necessarily.  We're talking about a modest incidence of minor flaws--without which there wouldn't be shell seconds to buy.  I own 2 pairs of shell seconds; I cannot identify the flaw on my PAs and noticed a small tear on the dog tail on the back of one of my Leeds.  I'm frankly grateful for the "frequency of problems," elsewise I'd own zero pairs of shell shoes.

post #37333 of 70737

Hello forum, I am completely clueless about dress shoes in general and so I have a few questions about the following AE shoe. I am guessing it is a vintage one since I don't see it on the AE website or maybe I missed it. Can you tell me which model/more info about this shoe and the condition you would rate it out of a 10 (10 being mint)? Thank you very much for your help! Btw, I am guessing that these are factory seconds?

 

Here are the pictures:

 

post #37334 of 70737

Does anyone here have experience with "nanotechnology" hydrophobic sprays on AE calf?

post #37335 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTRKRFT View Post

Hello forum, I am completely clueless about dress shoes in general and so I have a few questions about the following AE shoe. I am guessing it is a vintage one since I don't see it on the AE website or maybe I missed it. Can you tell me which model/more info about this shoe and the condition you would rate it out of a 10 (10 being mint)? Thank you very much for your help! Btw, I am guessing that these are factory seconds?

Here are the pictures: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)










Those are the Belgium. I don't know when it was made; but, yeah, they're discontinued.

Condition? I really have no idea. But if I had to take a stab at it, as the great Willie Conway would have put it, I'd give them a good, solid seven and a half.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...