Everybody has their days. When I emailed Edward last week, not only did he reply in a matter of minutes, he even proactively called me to complete the order.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 7/21/16 at 5:47am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 3:03 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 246post #3676 of 707373/20/12 at 9:13ampost #3677 of 707373/20/12 at 9:39amQuote:Originally Posted by asalerno
it would just be my only nice brown shoe... for now (have brown cole haan captoe that are ok)
Thanks for the input, I'll consider also looking into oxfords.
I'm very borderline E ("fit expert" put me in 11D strands, seem fine, need an E in bayfield) but I ordered camrbidge in burgundy in both 11D and 11E - hopefully one will fit! (if not I will either send back or see if anyone couldn't get a pair here)
Is that confirmation that the Cambridge in Burgundy is on sale too (seconds)? I re-read my email from my local SA and she actually said all shell seconds were on sale, but she only provided with me the ones that they had in my size.post #3678 of 707373/20/12 at 10:24am
I emailed Edward and the the generic shoebank. The list Edward sent me had the burgundy shell cambridge on sale, and I purchased them. When I got the list from the main shoebank, they did not list them. All in, I can confirm they are on sale from Freeport.post #3679 of 707373/20/12 at 10:40amJust ordered from the Shoe Bank. First time trying 'seconds' from AE so I'm crossing my fingers. Picked up Strand (brown shell), Cambridge (burgundy shell), and Bayfield (black calf).
I assume for returns I would need to ship directly to Freeport and can't do it in stores? If I keep at least 1 of the three I'll be happy.post #3680 of 707373/20/12 at 10:47amQuote:Originally Posted by dsmivtr
Just ordered from the Shoe Bank. First time trying 'seconds' from AE so I'm crossing my fingers. Picked up Strand (brown shell), Cambridge (burgundy shell), and Bayfield (black calf).
I assume for returns I would need to ship directly to Freeport and can't do it in stores? If I keep at least 1 of the three I'll be happy.
you can return to an AE store (even if its not a factory). Wish they had the strand in my size.post #3681 of 707373/20/12 at 10:54amQuote:
Thanks for the confirmation. Good to know that my SA was right and I can count on her. She's been great to deal with so far.post #3682 of 707373/20/12 at 2:39pmLucky me ... I'll be in Charleston for business and will get a chance to pop into my first AE outlet. The outlet mentioned that they carry a combination of 1sts, 2nds and close-outs. The SA I spoke with was very pleasant and forthcoming about checking inventory across all of their stores and drop-shipping anything that was not immediately available on hand.
As an aside, my only AEs to date are a pair of Lexington 8D (5 last) that never stretched sufficiently for my comfort. Needless to say, whatever I purchase next will have to fit perfectly from the get-go.post #3683 of 707373/20/12 at 4:00pm
I stopped by my local AE outlet today to check on my shell order, and had an opportunity to check out some shoes I haven't before, including most of the independence collection. Overall I am very impressed with the Independence Collection, they have significantly softer and nicer leather on the uppers, nice linings, good soles and wonderfully soft insoles. The burnishing on the walnut versions is really a step ahead of the "normal" calf AE shoes. Finally, they have great wheeling done on the top of the sole, around the edge. The pictures don't really show it much, but in person it is striking.
Here's what I tried on:
Jefferson: shortwing on the 5 last (same as the Cambridge and McAllister, but with a sole roughly between the two in thickness). These were very comfortable, I like the sole-edge treatment that they put on the walnut version of these shoes. I tried them on in walnut and also in black. This is a great business shoe.
Hancock: this is a cap-toe blucher, I tried it on in burgundy. I really like this shoe - it is built on the 7 last, which is a very good one for my foot, and also gives this shoe some additional character.
Adams: Great tassel loafer, with the addition of a different woven braid, plus hand-stitched moc toe treatment (as opposed to the machine-stitching on the Grayson). Again, this is on the 7 last. If I didn't already have a Grayson in black calf and burgundy shell, these would have been added to my order. I actually toyed with the idea of selling my black calf Graysons and buying these... but I decided against it.
Non-Independence Collection shoes:
FlatIron: This is an interesting shoe, on the new 333 last. The Walnut calf is very soft, and the less-structured nature of the shoe made it all the more comfortable. It is somewhat similar to Alden's plaza last, with a long profile and soft squaring of the toe-box. This is not really my style, but I can certainly see why others might really like this shoe.
Walnut Shell Daltons: These are great, and I am really glad I ordered them. I will be posting pictures as soon as I have an opportunity. Interestingly, they appear to be completely unlined, which means that they will be very soft and comfortable once broken in.
Cambridge: I also ordered these, but they were not in stock yet. Brian showed me another pair, in a different size, and I was pleasantly surprised at the thickness of the JR sole - it is a double oak sole. I can't wait to get mine.
Edited by bucksfan - 3/20/12 at 4:10pmpost #3684 of 707373/20/12 at 4:09pmpost #3685 of 707373/20/12 at 4:47pmpost #3686 of 707373/20/12 at 4:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel
Send disappointed email to AE customer service, and return. They should take care of the rest. I have had the problems with a particular model, three consecutive times, but their customer service always makes it right.
I'm hoping the quality control improves soon, as they recently expanded their production and there seems to be a steep learning curve at the moment...
Sent them back today. E-mailed customer service with pictures, have yet to hear from them.
All other dealings with AE are fantastic, have a pair of Strands and Fifth Streets that fit and look fantastic (along with pair of Park Avenues).
I'm just curious what others have seen when they purchased shell from AE. Are most satisfied? I just may stay away from AE shell and stick with Alden for shell.
The pictures just don't do them justice (in a negative way), they look like they had been attacked by dogs and then put under water for 3 weeks then dried in the sun.post #3687 of 707373/20/12 at 5:36pmpost #3688 of 707373/20/12 at 7:04pmThis post is to commend Allen Edmonds customer service (they're great and patient) over my recent shoe buying experience. I finally decided to invest in some quality shoes for work/formal events and in the past eight months I've purchased two different pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes (Park Avenues and Strand), but neither of them have fit me. Both times I was sized in the store at different measurements, one time as a 10E and another as a 9.5EEE, but needless to say my feet won't cooperate.
One of the issues is that I have a pretty wide feet. To make matters worse, my left foot is a full size larger than my right foot. The 9.5EEE is the perfect fit for my right foot but it causes pain/discomfort at the top pinky toe of my left foot. I emailed Allen Edmonds customer support explaining my situation and they promptly contacted me to help alleviate the issues. They offered to give me an Allen Edmonds gift card for the amount I paid for both pairs and suggested that I order custom pairs given the large size discrepancy between my two feet.
I'm wary of going the custom route given my past experience with sizing issues and the fact that they're not refundable if they do not fit correctly. I'm not sure if this is the right thread to pose this question but would it be worth going the custom route for the price or are there other alternatives for the money that are similar/better quality?post #3689 of 707373/20/12 at 7:16pmpost #3690 of 707373/20/12 at 7:39pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 33 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 8 minutes ago
- › Official MMA thread (UFC, Bellator, and whatever else - training,... 10 minutes ago
- › WANT: RLBL, RLPL Staple Suits / Blazers in 40R / New or Like New 12 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 15 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 28 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 32 minutes ago
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding