or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2443  

post #36631 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonsmithr8 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post


 That's it?  Just $2,500?  Consider yourself lucky . . .

Haha at least it was spread out over a year! I didn't see the year part when I responded. I was only talking about over the past 4-5 months for me

 

I'm pretty sure I'm in for over $5K now and that's just since August.  Now I'm starting to branch out into Aldens a little bit.  Do say a prayer for me . . .

post #36632 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonsmithr8 View Post


Haha at least it was spread out over a year! I didn't see the year part when I responded. I was only talking about over the past 4-5 months for me


That's like $200/mo...or $50 a week.

 

 

"For $50 a week...you can have an incredible shoe collection" Call now, operators are standing by...

post #36633 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

I'm pretty sure I'm in for over $5K now and that's just since August.  Now I'm starting to branch out into Aldens a little bit.  Do say a prayer for me . . .

Haha oof man lots of prayers for you! I think I'm in for like $3300 for OSB since August but at least I bought a couple for my brother and dad. I'd like to think I'd only get one alden and then stop. Or rather I hope that's the case 😁
post #36634 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

Also, thanks for your opinion on the mini-lug.  The more I learn about shell, the more I'm gathering that it wears like iron and is very difficult to ruin.  I wouldn't want to go wading in them or wear them for gardening, but I would like to think I could give them hard use and a little TLC afterwards would make them right as rain (pun sort of intended), and the mini-lug would be in keeping with that philosophy.  OTOH, covering the JR with a tap sole may be sort of sacrilegious.
Way back in the dark ages when I got my first pair of shell shoes (...black Leeds in June of 2012), I expressed publicly the idea of putting tap soles on them. I was strongly advised by one who'd tried it that gluing down additional rubber over a double sole would make it so inflexible as to make walking tricky, and to just leave them be since the double JR sole would -- as you say -- wear like iron anyway. It made sense to me so I decided against the tap sole option.

That said, I don't wear them in the rain -- I've got a couple of rubber-soled shoes and boots made of pull-up aniline leather for that sort of thing.
post #36635 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonsmithr8 View Post


Haha at least it was spread out over a year! I didn't see the year part when I responded. I was only talking about over the past 4-5 months for me


That's like $200/mo...or $50 a week.

 

 

"For $50 a week...you can have an incredible shoe collection" Call now, operators are standing by...

 

Shoe-of-the-Month Club?

post #36636 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post


 That's it?  Just $2,500?  Consider yourself lucky . . .
It is waay more, but I was embarassed!
post #36637 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonsmithr8 View Post

I'd like to think I'd only get one alden and then stop. Or rather I hope that's the case 😁

Hahahahahaa. That is what I thought 7 Aldens ago... all bought last year...all shell.....
post #36638 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskula View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post


so use both... like use cream and then use premium polish over the top of the cream on the cap if I want a decent shine or have scuffs to cover up? Am I understanding this right?

 





That is the correct thinking. . .

 



I've been using the premium polish over the entire show on my walnut colors and they seem fine. They are still pretty new though (<2 years). I apply renovateur every so often too.
post #36639 of 70737

Hey guys, I've been a lurker for a couple years and registered so I could post a question.  I'm having a hard time figuring out my "AE size."  I am a standard 10.5D kinda guy in just about every shoe I've owned for 15 years.  My feet on the normal to slightly wide size, but I have next to no arch and my feet are very short/thin (not sure of the proper word).  I recently purchased my first pair of AE shoes, black Strands, at a recommended half size down, 10D (recommended by an AE employee over the phone since there's nowhere around here I can try on multiple sizes of AE shoes), and could barely get them on.  I returned them and ordered 10.5D but they haven't arrived yet.  In the meantime I ordered 2 pair during the $50/100 off sale and got a pair of 10.5D Morgans (firsts) and a pair of 10.5D Brook Bros Cronmok (firsts).  Width wise they are perfect, but length and "height" they are much too large.  When laced up, there is no "V" at all, and these are brand-new shoes that haven't been stretched at all...  Anyway, I am tempted to send them back and order 10EE if available.  But, since my feet are so thin, I'm worried that the wide shoe will be even more loose around my foot.  

 

Never thought describing shoe fit and feet would be so difficult!  Any guidance from you guys would be great.  Oh, and I have done the printable sizing sheet from AE and according to that I'm spot on at 10.5D...

 

 

To show you what I mean, here are a pair of Banchory in 10.5D that are laced loosely and you can already start to see the pucker that would just increase as I tighten them up.  These will be returned as soon as I know what size to request as there is some pretty shoddy work on these...

post #36640 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcardon View Post
 

Hey guys, I've been a lurker for a couple years and registered so I could post a question.  I'm having a hard time figuring out my "AE size."  I am a standard 10.5D kinda guy in just about every shoe I've owned for 15 years.  My feet on the normal to slightly wide size, but I have next to no arch and my feet are very short/thin (not sure of the proper word).  I recently purchased my first pair of AE shoes, black Strands, at a recommended half size down, 10D (recommended by an AE employee over the phone since there's nowhere around here I can try on multiple sizes of AE shoes), and could barely get them on.  I returned them and ordered 10.5D but they haven't arrived yet.  In the meantime I ordered 2 pair during the $50/100 off sale and got a pair of 10.5D Morgans (firsts) and a pair of 10.5D Brook Bros Cronmok (firsts).  Width wise they are perfect, but length and "height" they are much too large.  When laced up, there is no "V" at all, and these are brand-new shoes that haven't been stretched at all...  Anyway, I am tempted to send them back and order 10EE if available.  But, since my feet are so thin, I'm worried that the wide shoe will be even more loose around my foot.  

 

Never thought describing shoe fit and feet would be so difficult!  Any guidance from you guys would be great.  Oh, and I have done the printable sizing sheet from AE and according to that I'm spot on at 10.5D...


Have you tried the AE Sizing Guide? http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf

 

That has me spot on for my size. Also, if you go to a store and get fitted with a brannock device that will help too. It's that weird thing you had to put your foot in when your parents took you to buy shoes:

 

Brannock device

 

Are you close at all to an AE store or a Nordstrom's?

 

It's going to be hit or miss at the start for sure. I bought 12.5 Quoddys once that are HUGE because I thought they were TTS (true to size). A lot will depend on the last of the shoe as well.

post #36641 of 70737

OK, I REALLY gotta get some work done today, but . . . I can't resist posting today's AEs:

 

 

BB San Marco (in chocolate brown, in case the color's not coming through)

post #36642 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post
 


Have you tried the AE Sizing Guide? http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf

 

That has me spot on for my size. Also, if you go to a store and get fitted with a brannock device that will help too. It's that weird thing you had to put your foot in when your parents took you to buy shoes:

 

Brannock device

 

Are you close at all to an AE store or a Nordstrom's?

 

It's going to be hit or miss at the start for sure. I bought 12.5 Quoddys once that are HUGE because I thought they were TTS (true to size). A lot will depend on the last of the shoe as well.

Yes, I've done the AE sizing chart and the brannock device - both come out at 10.5D.  No Nordstroms or AE store within 3 hours of here...  I've thought about trying 10.5B, but the 10.5D feel perfect width-wise at the insole.

post #36643 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcardon View Post
 

Yes, I've done the AE sizing chart and the brannock device - both come out at 10.5D.  No Nordstroms or AE store within 3 hours of here...  I've thought about trying 10.5B, but the 10.5D feel perfect width-wise at the insole.


I will tell you I got a 12 D Strand for Christmas and returned it for a 12 E. I'm normally a 12 D in pretty much everything AE, but this was not the case for the Strand - it's on the

 

The 5 last (65)

5 Last (65)
This is the longest in length of all of our lasts; best for a long, narrow foot.

post #36644 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskula View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post


so use both... like use cream and then use premium polish over the top of the cream on the cap if I want a decent shine or have scuffs to cover up? Am I understanding this right?

 







That is the correct thinking. . .

 





I've been using the premium polish over the entire show on my walnut colors and they seem fine. They are still pretty new though (<2 years). I apply renovateur every so often too.

 



I am actually going to be posting the pics from my 4 year old walnut strands which i am sending in for their 2nd recrafting. Walnut cream over all, reno and neutral premium polish on the caps.
post #36645 of 70737

Hey all! Been enjoying my AE Black Strands, but I do have a few light scuffs. Would a polish with venetian shoe cream be sufficient in getting them out? Any tips on caring for AE shoes?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...