I dunno; I've started to think that I should ask the retailer to hand pick the shoes before shipping. I haven't had any problems with AE, but I have received a couple of "first quality" shoes from that other American shoe maker with obvious defects in the leather. It's an inconvenience, but as long as they make it right I'm not apt to complain too much.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 10/11/16 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:15 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 245post #3662 of 707373/20/12 at 3:29amQuote:Originally Posted by Costa
My jaw hit the floor. I oversee a large plant with full scale assembly for a living, including QC, engineering, etc., so I know first hand that sometimes things "get out", and am probably more lenient than most here when it comes to a few imperfections (character I tell myself). But this, no way. I just could not believe it.
I have been a very satisfied AE customer, I own 5 pairs. This may be a deal breaker for me.
Send disappointed email to AE customer service, and return. They should take care of the rest. I have had the problems with a particular model, three consecutive times, but their customer service always makes it right.
I'm hoping the quality control improves soon, as they recently expanded their production and there seems to be a steep learning curve at the moment...post #3663 of 707373/20/12 at 4:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Costa
I know some say AE's quality has gotten worse, but boy, was I in for a shocker today.
The Cappuccino shell McAllisters I ordered from the AE came in, and holy cow, I would not have considered these seconds, never mind full price.
I mean, it was bad. Leather on the bottom was all cracked and peeling (along with a square dent), nail head in heel was not in all the way, front top was splotchy and scratched (if only this, I would have kept and buffed out), what looks like a glue stain inside.
Have many other AE's, and Alden shells, and know some imperfections are to be expected, and can tolerate a lot, but this was a shocker. Needless to say, they are going back.
Wow those are first quality? That's pretty terrible. There is suppose to be people who inspect every shoe that goes out. Missing something like that (especially on a limited model) is unacceptable. Hopefully they still have enough capuchin cordovan left to make you another one.post #3664 of 707373/20/12 at 5:38amOn the topic of AE QC, I just received a pair of walnut Strands and Im pleased to say that the finish seems to be the best of any AEs I've purchased that are from the "normal" price point ($335; the cordovan shoes in my experience are generally finished better).post #3665 of 707373/20/12 at 6:59ampost #3666 of 707373/20/12 at 7:04ampost #3667 of 707373/20/12 at 7:07amQuote:
it would just be my only nice brown shoe... for now :) (have brown cole haan captoe that are ok)
Thanks for the input, I'll consider also looking into oxfords.
I'm very borderline E ("fit expert" put me in 11D strands, seem fine, need an E in bayfield) but I ordered camrbidge in burgundy in both 11D and 11E - hopefully one will fit! (if not I will either send back or see if anyone couldn't get a pair here)post #3668 of 707373/20/12 at 7:16am
Quick question about the interiors of AE shoes. Recently bought some totally sweet Elgins, wore them for a day, then left some shoe trees in them for a few days. Took the trees out today and put them on not only feeling like they were a slightly bigger, but like a foreign object is stuck in the edge of the toe box. Turns out to be some black rubber cement-like material:
Is this normal for most AE shoes, or shoes in general? What the heck is that stuff?post #3669 of 707373/20/12 at 7:18am
Wow, those shoes are a disappointment. However, I had no idea they had a shell balmoral wingtip in that color. I looked at the AE website and the closest I saw was the Cambridge, but the only brown shade was burgundy.
Are other colors typically available than what they show on the website?post #3670 of 707373/20/12 at 7:21ampost #3671 of 707373/20/12 at 7:24ampost #3672 of 707373/20/12 at 7:33amAt least with regular edition firsts, you can get replacements. With these special edition cordovans, they might not be available. You just have to look at the positive side of not spending money if they can't be replaced.
Of course, with seconds, all bets are off. You have to assume there won't be any replacements available.post #3673 of 707373/20/12 at 7:47ampost #3674 of 707373/20/12 at 7:53amQuote:
Huh. I got a response right away from Freeport. I'd try the shoebank email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you give them your size, they'll send you a list of every shoe available.
But I did less than stellar customer service when I called them. I think it's just inconsistent sometimes.post #3675 of 707373/20/12 at 8:04am
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 20 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 3 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 5 minutes ago
- › Obama's Unravelling 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...