or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2408  

post #36106 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

I just ordered the Brown Burnished Grayson Webgem. Been wanting those in a brown color and I'm mostly limited to Allen Edmonds for loafers due to width.

Question: Is it just me or is there an issue with the angle of the heel/sole on all of the Independence collection shoes? It seems off, which makes it feel like something is pushing into the middle of your foot as you take each step. The front of the heel piece seems to hit the ground first.

 

 

I have a similar issue with my Bradys, the heel is uneven or not completely straight. If you look at the pics AE posts on their website, you can easily see what I am talking about. This leads me to believe that it should cause an issue, just awkward.

post #36107 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by green garden View Post
 

MTO cost for discontinued styles will be at current prices.

 

But there isn't a current price. sooooooo :dozingoff:

post #36108 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

But there isn't a current price. sooooooo dozingoff.gif

The price is determined by the cost of the uppers, unless that particular model is on sale.
post #36109 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post


I have a similar issue with my Bradys, the heel is uneven or not completely straight. If you look at the pics AE posts on their website, you can easily see what I am talking about. This leads me to believe that it should cause an issue, just awkward.

Are you talking about how the back of the heel is off the ground, showing how it's not flat?

Independence Collection Shoe:
allenedmonds_shoes_harrison_walnut_side_l.jpg

Regular Collection Shoe:
allenedmonds_shoes_geary_brown-burnished_side_l.jpg
post #36110 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post


Are you talking about how the back of the heel is off the ground, showing how it's not flat?

 

 

Bingo!!

post #36111 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyoung View Post
 

Just added these to the rotation: brown Fifth Street, brown Rutlege, and black Hale.

 

 

 

However I'm trying to keep my inventory static, so for each new pair, I'm trying to unload an old pair. Before I get rid of them, I'd like to hear the board's thoughts on selling vs. keeping the following pairs of shoes, especially given my recent purchases:

 

1) Brown Parkway (worn)

2) Brown Lasalle (worn)

3) Black Park Avenue (new)
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyoung View Post
 

Just added these to the rotation: brown Fifth Street, brown Rutlege, and black Hale.

 

 

 

However I'm trying to keep my inventory static, so for each new pair, I'm trying to unload an old pair. Before I get rid of them, I'd like to hear the board's thoughts on selling vs. keeping the following pairs of shoes, especially given my recent purchases:

 

1) Brown Parkway (worn)

2) Brown Lasalle (worn)

3) Black Park Avenue (new)
 

Nice pick ups, tjyoung... I was gonna pull the trigger on brown Rutledge 2nds, but went casual (olive neumok) last minute.  I think I have enough brown for now. If it were walnut at the brown shoe's price (-$150), I would've been all in!!!! 

 

Unless you 'need' another black shoe, I would hold onto the Parkway. You just dropped coin for the black Hale, so I would think not...unless you need to go more formal than the Hale for some occasions. The Parkway is a blucher (unlike any of your new purchases), It's a different toe (more chiseled - some variety) and can be dressed up or down. 

 

That's me though.

post #36112 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


http://m.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AllAboutLastsView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Or just google "allen edmonds all about lasts" if that link doesn't work

I think the only problem there would be that the "all about lasts" page doesn't list all shoes (including discontinued models) ever made on the last. It won't help him find out what last the shoe he has is on...

 

I did however google names of AE models and "last" in the query when doing my due diligence on discontinued models. It helped to figure it out with a little skimming. That Google IS amazing. :) 

post #36113 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyoshi68 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


http://m.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AllAboutLastsView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Or just google "allen edmonds all about lasts" if that link doesn't work

I think the only problem there would be that the "all about lasts" page doesn't list all shoes (including discontinued models) ever made on the last. It won't help him find out what last the shoe he has is on...

 

I did however google names of AE models and "last" in the query when doing my due diligence on discontinued models. It helped to figure it out with a little skimming. That Google IS amazing. :) 

 

On the AE website, go to the "View All" page for shoes, then click on "Lasts" in the left-hand column.  You can then select a last and it will show you all the shoes that are made on it.  Handy-dandy!

post #36114 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post


Are you talking about how the back of the heel is off the ground, showing how it's not flat?

Independence Collection Shoe:
allenedmonds_shoes_harrison_walnut_side_l.jpg

Regular Collection Shoe:
allenedmonds_shoes_geary_brown-burnished_side_l.jpg

wouldn't the front of the heel hitting first help the overall longevity of the shoe? This is because most people's shoes (in my experience) wear down the quickest at the back of the heel. So by making the shoe in a way that the front hits first, would that not increase the life of the heel? Just a thought, I am by no means a shoe expert, just seems like that might be why they made them that way.

post #36115 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyoshi68 View Post
 

I think the only problem there would be that the "all about lasts" page doesn't list all shoes (including discontinued models) ever made on the last. It won't help him find out what last the shoe he has is on...

 

I did however google names of AE models and "last" in the query when doing my due diligence on discontinued models. It helped to figure it out with a little skimming. That Google IS amazing. :) 

 

It looks like you have to look up each style in Google.  I was hoping that there was a comprehensive list on one place. They have such a nice list of all their shoes showing which cleaner, polish, etc to use that I assumed they would have a list of all shoes by last.  Not a big deal.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

On the AE website, go to the "View All" page for shoes, then click on "Lasts" in the left-hand column.  You can then select a last and it will show you all the shoes that are made on it.  Handy-dandy!

 

Good for current shoes that they sell, but not for retired lines.

post #36116 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geran Brown View Post

Hi all,

I recently went into an Allen Edmonds store to get my foot measured on a brannock and they said I should wear an 8D, unfortunately they didn't have any 8D Strands in stock to try on as I was looking at purchasing that shoe.

Should I stick to an 8D or should I size down a half size to a 7.5D?

I was measured at 9C and walked out with 8.5D in the Strand... but that's me.

post #36117 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

I bet Allison could hook you up with a Malvern in the leather of your choice.  Also, have you checked out the Dundee chukka?  Shell is definitely an investment, but they are absolutely classic and comfortable as hell.

 

As for my lot, one of these days I'll have to take some pics, but for now here is my current collection of AEs:

 

Boots -

 

Fifth Street black

Andover burgundy

Dalton walnut

Shaker Heights chili

Haight brown

 

"Dressy dress" -

 

Park Avenue black

Park Avenue merlot

McAllister black

Cambridge burgundy shell

Hanover bourbon

 

"Less dressy dress" -

 

Strand brown shell

Dundee burgundy shell

Shelton merlot/black

Shelton walnut/brown

Norwich black

Norwich brown shell

Mora 2.0 bourbon

 

Casual -

 

Black Hills black

Brooks Brothers San Marco brown

Neumok navy

Neumok olive

McTavish grey

McTavish tan

Chukkamok navy

Chukkamok tan suede

 

Guilty pleasure -

 

Fastball white (with Cincinnati Reds logo)

 

Two more pairs in production -

 

Brooks Brothers Strand walnut

Dundee brown shell

 

And the next two purchases (waiting for Presidents Day and/or Anniversary sale and/or seconds) -

 

Strand merlot OR chili

Hanover black

 

Most of my current collection are seconds/closeouts procured during the last 15% off sale.  In other words, I'm relatively late to this party but I've jumped in with both feet!  (pun intended)

 

Also, on the non-AE side, I have another 10-15 pairs (bucks and boat shoes from J. Crew and BB, cheap summer saddles/ spectators, etc.) and five or so more on the way (assorted boots).  Oh, and a bunch of Vans, Keds, and other old-school sneakers.

 

It might seem like a lot of shoes - and I guess it is - but my goal was to have multiple options for every conceivable outfit in my wardrobe.  I must say that since amassing my collection, I've come to realize that even ordinary clothes can shine with the right pair of shoes, and conversely even the smartest outfits can be ruined when paired with cheap, ugly, un-shined, etc. shoes.  And, I consider my shoes to be among the wisest investments I make.  When you buy quality shoes like AE and take care of them, every pair you buy could very well last you the rest of your life - especially when you're able to rotate through so many of them.

I'm counting 26 pairs of AE in your collection, I have 28 pairs of AE with 1 in production. There may be some competition here… :)

post #36118 of 70737
Latest Seconds Haul:

Brown Neumok & Black Fifth Street



Fresh out of the box. Only defects I see are a couple of areas of sloppy stitching and the upper of the left Fifth Street boot is quite rippled, and honestly the leather on it feels like it is not of the same quality as the right one. I think I'm going to send those back and exchange them for another pair. I can deal with the stitching and a scuff or two, but the way the side bulges out on the left boot is something that bothers me everytime I look down.

I paid $119 for the Neumoks and $199 for the Fifth Streets.
Edited by OptoDoc - 1/5/14 at 6:32pm
post #36119 of 70737
I have a pair of McAllister's and a pair of shell macneils. I realize these are different style, but is it somewhat redundant to keep both? Or make room for a new style and sell the mcallisrers......

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #36120 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis534 View Post

I have a pair of McAllister's and a pair of shell macneils. I realize these are different style, but is it somewhat redundant to keep both? Or make room for a new style and sell the mcallisrers......

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

n+1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...