or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2396  

post #35926 of 70737

Finally had some sunlight to take pictures today!  Here's a reference for AE's "brown" shell shade, compared to natural CXL (left) and Alden color #8 shell (right).

 

 

post #35927 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
 

Finally had some sunlight to take pictures today!  Here's a reference for AE's "brown" shell shade, compared to natural CXL (left) and Alden color #8 shell (right).

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

I love the Brown Shell Strands. I have long considered picking them up to join their Walnut Shell brother.

post #35928 of 70737
Cats, I've often wondered why the Strand gets so much more love on here than any other AE shoe.

Don't get me wrong, I own a pair, but why are they so much more beloved, than say McAllisters?
post #35929 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Cats, I've often wondered why the Strand gets so much more love on here than any other AE shoe.

Don't get me wrong, I own a pair, but why are they so much more beloved, than say McAllisters?

 

I don't know what others think, but to me the Strand is the perfect blend of the McAllister and the PA - it's formal and classy enough to serve as a worthy substitute for the PA, but the perfs and medallion also let me wear it casually, up to and including with denim.

post #35930 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Cats, I've often wondered why the Strand gets so much more love on here than any other AE shoe.

Don't get me wrong, I own a pair, but why are they so much more beloved, than say McAllisters?

It's not just here. I believe the Strand is their number one or two most sold. I have three and the brown and merlot get more wear than the black wingtips. I couldn't say why, maybe because they're just a good compromise between a full brogue and plain cap toe dress shoe. They work well with suits and dress casual.
Edited by Olifter - 1/1/14 at 12:42pm
post #35931 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
 

Finally had some sunlight to take pictures today!  Here's a reference for AE's "brown" shell shade, compared to natural CXL (left) and Alden color #8 shell (right).

 

 

beautiful.

 

does the ae brown shell get any shinier than in the photo? the finish on alden shell is just so incredible compared to AE's!

post #35932 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqroot3 View Post

beautiful.

does the ae brown shell get any shinier than in the photo? the finish on alden shell is just so incredible compared to AE's!

You can get them shinier with a lot of brushing and maybe some Saphir products. Alden does put a very nice finish on their Shells that provide a deeper color out of the box.
post #35933 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqroot3 View Post

beautiful.

does the ae brown shell get any shinier than in the photo? the finish on alden shell is just so incredible compared to AE's!

Yes and no, I suppose. The Strands are new, while those Aldens have gotten a couple months of wear and have been "mac'ed." I also just hit the toe boxes with some VSC.

The AE shell isn't as glossy, but they were very cold and dry when I unboxed them. I think some oils will come out once I wear and brush them a few times.
post #35934 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post


Yes and no, I suppose. The Strands are new, while those Aldens have gotten a couple months of wear and have been "mac'ed." I also just hit the toe boxes with some VSC.

The AE shell isn't as glossy, but they were very cold and dry when I unboxed them. I think some oils will come out once I wear and brush them a few times.

 

I think your AE Strands look great now, but will get better once you have worn and brushed them a few times. That is what happened with my shell PA's. 

post #35935 of 70737
My latest MTO came in on Friday, too. This time for my wife! A pair of Walnut Bayfields with V tap soles. These are size 6D and look so adorable, haha. Check them out.





and a couple pics next to my new size 8D Alden Tankers for scale...


post #35936 of 70737

Does anyone have any experience returning things to the shoe bank? How long does it usually take for them to credit your money back?

post #35937 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

FYI, for anyone who is still interested, I got an email yesterday from Allison confirming it's not too late to do the MTO for the sale price.

These aren't even listed on AE's web site. Did you order by calling them?
post #35938 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Y View Post

These aren't even listed on AE's web site. Did you order by calling them?

No, they special ordered custom makeups thru Allison Meyer. Scroll back 4 or 5 pages for the contact info.
post #35939 of 70737

Guys, I need some opinions here.  I gave my new Strands a more detailed lookover today and noticed this stitching issue on the upper.

 

What are my options here?  Would AE be able to correct this issue? It looks like it could just keep coming undone at this point.

post #35940 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

I don't know what others think, but to me the Strand is the perfect blend of the McAllister and the PA - it's formal and classy enough to serve as a worthy substitute for the PA, but the perfs and medallion also let me wear it casually, up to and including with denim.

I think the McAllister is dble soled and the Strand is not. Dble soles lend themselves to more casual wear.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...