Ok, so it seems my local guy can't order the Long Branch because it is being discontinued. Warehouse told him they were out of stock but could do MTO. I'd rather not wait until February for MTO, so any advice on where to find a good deal on waxy brown Long Branches?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 10/11/16 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 6:08 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2340post #35087 of 7073712/12/13 at 10:59amQuote:
Is there a reason you cant order them on allenedmonds.com?post #35088 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:02ampost #35089 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:17amQuote:Quote:
Seconds from the Shoe Bank?post #35090 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:19amQuote:Originally Posted by NWTeal
My personal experience:
Brannock - 9D
5 last - 8.5E (9E likely works, too only because the ball of my foot is further up than most that measure a 9)
1-511 Dalton/Long Branch Last - 9D
For the most part the 1 and 7 lasts are the most true to size in my opinon and the 5 last runs up to half a size long and one widthQuote:
I have a 9D foot and wear 9D on the 1-511 last (Dalton, Finch, Shelton). For the record, I have gotten away fine with 8.5D, though I bet 8.5E would also work.post #35091 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:21amQuote:
This is relatively normal, as many have heel slippage when they use the same size as other 5-65 lasted shoes. The idea is the blucher just fits differently. I actually wear 8.5D in 5-65 balmorals and the Kenilworth, though my Kenilworths are shell.post #35092 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:22amQuote:Originally Posted by RogerP
But to my eye, those shoes simply do not fit. Fit is only functionally accomodated here by the w-i-d-e spread of the laces. That is simply not how an oxford fits, any more than a monk strap closed only by strained buckling at the very last hole in the strap could be said to fit. They may indeed feel like they fit with your eyes closed, but opening your eyes will tell you in an instant that something is substantially off.
I am not an expert in fit - not by any stretch. But I have been fitted by experts - Dean Girling of G&G and Philip Carr of St. Crispin's. If I tried on one of their oxfords and had the laces splayed as far open as that, there is simply no way they would pronounce it to be good enough. In fact, at a recent fitting of a pair St. Crispin's, less of an opening than that was deeemed a poor fit requiring a combination of increased width / higher instep allowance / lower internal arch support.
To my mind, proper fit is not the sole province of high end RTW, much less bespoke. It should be the most important purchase criterion at any price point. Others, of course, are free to take a different view.
Fair enough. I agree they don't look ideal, but I wanted to propose that it's possible this is the best fit he can get on this last. I agree it's quite likely that a different size/width would fit even better.post #35093 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:28amQuote:
Thank you and no need to apologize for any questions! I would hope not in this thread anyhow.
Yes they are all Dundee's and that is the Dark Brown front bottom. It is a great color. I really like chukka's and also how a plain toe shows off shell, the Dundee is perfect IMO for shell. For my foot yes they are true to Brannock size. The 1 last fits me very well, especially the Dundee's.post #35094 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:45ampost #35095 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:49ampost #35096 of 7073712/12/13 at 11:54ampost #35097 of 7073712/12/13 at 1:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by hoit1981Quote:Originally Posted by Cold Iron
There is nothing dubious about AE shell, at least to me. I have shell from AE, Alden, and RL Marlow which are made by C&J. As tampatravel said AE can be more of a matte finish out of the box but with time and work they can and will look like the others. Some differences in colors between them but overall I consider them to be the same quality shell.
Great choice on the Dundee's. I prefer them over the Alden 2 eye chukka on the Barrie last by far.
Interesting stuff and nice family pic! Are those all Dundee's? Is that the dark brown up front? How did you size - true to Brannock? Sorry for all the questions sir.
Cold Iron is a great resource for all things AE shell. "Nothing dubious" is spot on.
I have numerous shell models from Alden, AE, and C&J, shoes and boots, laced and loafers They all use Horween shell.
Each company finishes its shell models differently, so the level of shine achieved out of the box is different, with Alden being the most shiny, followed by AE and then C&J. Some like a high shine; others like a more matte presentation. Level of moisture in the shell is also different out of the box, with Alden being the most moist, followed by AE and then C&J. This is not necessarily good or bad, it just is.
The Dundee (chukka boot) and Leeds (PTB) are on AE's 1 last. Alden's chukka and PTB are on the Barrie last. For my foot, I prefer AE's 1 last to Alden's Barrie last.
I am TTS 9.5D. I wear Alden's Barrie in 9D and AE's 1 last in 10C.post #35098 of 7073712/12/13 at 2:09pmpost #35099 of 7073712/12/13 at 2:13pmQuote:
Sounds nice, and familiar:Eagle County MTO:MERLOT CALF
TONE ON TONE STITCHINGBURNISHED TOE AND HEALBRASS EYELETSREGULAR INSOLE (Thought Poron, but never tried last - Allison says very similar to 5 - it cannot be too tight.)LEATHER MIDSOLE WITH A TOBY MINI LUG OUTSOLE (Have Long Branch w/Vibram sole. Chunky. Danite maybe?)
BLACK SPLIT REVERSE WELT (should this be brown?)REGULAR EDGEBROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSINGDoes this sound too busy?COME ON WITH THE FULLY INTERACTIVE "BUILD YOUR OWN MTO" PAGE, AE!!! We wanna see as we create!!!post #35100 of 7073712/12/13 at 2:18pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › New Brioni SC - to keep or not to keep? (pics) 7 minutes ago
- › 125k Pull Ups in 2016 7 minutes ago
- › Church's Appreciation Thread 23 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 28 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 35 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 36 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 42 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 47 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 47 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...