The same thing happened to my Alden #8 boots on the 3rd wearing, it is frustrating I hear you! I ended up ordering flat boot laces from TZ Laces in several different colors. They also sell round boot laces. Not cheap, but they have held up well so far.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 10/11/16 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2338post #35056 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:06ampost #35057 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:08ampost #35058 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:19amQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by tampatravel
I have a pair of AE Townleys in Brown shell. I also have cigar LHS from Alden. I can't peak for C&J.
I will say the AE shell tends to have more of a matte finish while the Alden is quite shinny. I like both, so I have both. You can see also the pair I just had recrafted is quite shiny.
The fact that you can get almost anything you want via a MTO with AE is something else!
There is nothing dubious about AE shell, at least to me. I have shell from AE, Alden, and RL Marlow which are made by C&J. As tampatravel said AE can be more of a matte finish out of the box but with time and work they can and will look like the others. Some differences in colors between them but overall I consider them to be the same quality shell.
Great choice on the Dundee's. I prefer them over the Alden 2 eye chukka on the Barrie last by far.post #35059 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:21amQuote:Originally Posted by cincikid
AE doesn't currently make a PTB in suede, which, as far as I am concerned, is a serious gap in their product range. Your option is likely an MTO, but keep in mind that the design of the eyestays on AE differs from that of Alden, so you won't be able to perfectly replicate the look. If you are set for Aldens, keep an eye on the Shoemart's seconds: I've routinely seen suede PTB on the lists Ive been getting.
On a related note, I do have AE navy suede PTB (Stewart for Lands End Canvas) and I think they are great. I also had a similar looking Paul Stuart suede PTB on a crepe sole and I didn't like it nearly as much as navy suede PTB. I think color does add a nice touch to the otherwise fairly plain shoe and elevates it on to a next level.
This is a great idea to look for seconds but I checked it out and the Shoemart does not ship Alden outside of the US and I am in Canada. I might have to look into a MTO or maybe just bite the bullet and grab the Alden PTB next time I see them on sale.post #35060 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:44ampost #35061 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:48ampost #35062 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:51ampost #35063 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:55ampost #35064 of 7073712/12/13 at 6:56ampost #35065 of 7073712/12/13 at 7:15amQuote:
Those are AWESOME. Like tifosi said, I thought they were Navy at first glance. I'd love a pair in NAVY come to think of it.... I have to stop looking on here - ssssseriously.post #35066 of 7073712/12/13 at 7:15ampost #35067 of 7073712/12/13 at 7:16ampost #35068 of 7073712/12/13 at 7:18ampost #35069 of 7073712/12/13 at 7:41ampost #35070 of 7073712/12/13 at 7:46amQuote:Originally Posted by TheSizzle
Technically, you could order seconds through a regular retail AE location.
However, if you wish to deal directly with the outlet/factory store branch of the company, which seems logical for such purposes, you don't necessarily have to call the Port Washington ShoeBank. You could call any of these. They should have access to the same inventory, and many of them are open as late as 9pm during the week (but some close as early as 5-6pm some days). I'll list some of them here for future reference, but the information, with hours, is on the Allen Edmonds website.
-ShoeBank in Port Washington, WI (262-284-7158, email@example.com)
-ShoeBank 2 in Brookfield, WI (262-785-6666, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Tanger Outlets of Mebane, NC (919-563-2446, email@example.com)
-Tanger Outlets of Jeffersonville, OH (740-948-9033, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Tanger Outlets of Charleston, SC (843-747-4002, email@example.com)
-Tanger Outlets of Riverhead, NY (631-369-0947, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-The Outlet Shops of Grand River in Leeds, AL (205-699-6566, email@example.com)
-Outlet in Freeport, ME (207-865-6222, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Silver Sands Outlets in Destin, FL (850-654-4790, email@example.com)
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 31 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › How about Cole Haan Made in Maine shoes 1 minute ago
- › Is Casual Men's Neckwear Dead? 1 minute ago
- › East Sicily Tailors 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 11 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 19 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Blacksmith boots 9.5D US - Billy Beige 19 minutes ago
- › Canada goose Windermere parka anyone have? 21 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...