or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2330  

post #34936 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyoung View Post

Literally just got off the phone with her. I'm going for the dressy look with mine. I went with:

merlot upper
tone-on-tone
flat black welt
brown transparent edge
leather insole
double butyl sole
black speed hooks

Jeez, I'm starting to fit in around here! I literally had no idea what any of this meant as of one month ago...

Sounds like with brown CXL you're going slightly more casual.  If I were you, I'd go butyle sole - I like the leather over rubber. Not worried about the elements. If I'm going to wear them, I'm going to WEAR them. Go with what makes you comfortable for the color too. Brown if it makes you happy. Speed hooks, not sure what to say there without seeing the colors.

I think this is gonna be awesome. My nature was telling me to do something very close but the only way I could justify this to the GF was that my Daltons are not good enough to take the winter. Can't wait to see these done.
post #34937 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyoung View Post
 

Literally just got off the phone with her. I'm going for the dressy look with mine. I went with:

 

merlot upper

tone-on-tone

flat black welt

brown transparent edge

leather insole

double butyl sole

black speed hooks

 

Jeez, I'm starting to fit in around here! I literally had no idea what any of this meant as of one month ago...

 

Sounds like with brown CXL you're going slightly more casual.  If I were you, I'd go butyle sole - I like the leather over rubber. Not worried about the elements. If I'm going to wear them, I'm going to WEAR them. Go with what makes you comfortable for the color too. Brown if it makes you happy. Speed hooks, not sure what to say there without seeing the colors.

 

So you are going to have merlot, brown, and black on the shoe? I like the idea of a merlot shoe with black dainite sole and black speed hook accents, but I am already on a waiting list for a cordovan dalton in the oxblood/burgundy color, so once I get that boot ill be settled. I dont have any dark brown boots so I feel like I should go that route for the MTO.

 

Do you guys think I should do dark chocolate or dark brown CXL?

post #34938 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
 

 

Black Dainite or Butyl Leather sole? (I am worried the black sole will clash with the brown leather, but allison said they can use a dark brown welt and some edge dressing, but if that begins rubbing off it will look even worse...)

 

 

I went with Dainite with a chili upper. You can take a look at the Bayfield or Long Branch for what a black sole looks like on brown shoes.

 

 

Dark chococlate vs Dark Brown CXL probably depends on how dressy you want the boot to be.

post #34939 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
 

 

So you are going to have merlot, brown, and black on the shoe?

Yeah, crazy, eh? This is what Allison recommended, and I'm gonna roll with it. The black welt isn't very noticeable, right? Just a small strip. Shouldn't be a big deal. I figured if I'm gonna MTO, may as well make it a bit unique...

post #34940 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4nimal View Post


I think this is gonna be awesome. My nature was telling me to do something very close but the only way I could justify this to the GF was that my Daltons are not good enough to take the winter. Can't wait to see these done.

Should have done it. Nothing is justifiable to my GF at this point, so I just do it. Damage can't get any worse (except to my wallet).

post #34941 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850csi View Post
 

 

I went with Dainite with a chili upper. You can take a look at the Bayfield or Long Branch for what a black sole looks like on brown shoes.

 

 

Dark chococlate vs Dark Brown CXL probably depends on how dressy you want the boot to be.

 

I feel like dark chocolate might be more versatile, since cxl will be casual only...

post #34942 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyoung View Post
 

Nothing is justifiable to my GF at this point, so I just do it.

:rotflmao:

post #34943 of 70737

Is it possible to MTO a discontinued style? 

post #34944 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungs View Post
 

I'm wondering what you guys think is the best sole for wintry harsh weather in perhaps a dressier shoe?

I like the combination tap sole idea, but have the mini lug on my casual Wilberts that have worked well.

I'm also wondering what the longevity of some of those soles are like?

I have the problem that overshoes just really don't come in size 14 (at least that'll fit over good).  Thus, I've sort of given up on that idea.

I'd like to hear you guys thoughts on the matter.

I am in a similar position with wearing overshoes but for a different reason. And have tried many alternatives.

 

I had my cobbler put a half sole put on my Walnut Shell Daltons. Those pair are very hard and slick, it is as bad as bare leather when you hit wet tiled floors. The combination tap soles as issued by AE seem softer than other half soles. The tap sole on the calf PA that I have is softer and appears to offer better traction but I have no idea about longevity. I don't care for the feel of them and seldom wear them so can't tell you how they hold up.

 

Agree with Adam on the Othello sole on the Wilbert's, I have them in both brown and black and they are worn almost smooth. I have not tried Dainite because of the many reports of it being slick when wet inside on smooth hard surfaces and I spend a lot of time on marble and tile floors in hospitals and clinics. I believe the AE version is different than the English one and may be better for wet traction, but I haven't been able to determine that yet. Any feedback from someone that owns the AE version would be appreciated!

 

I have mini lug on Black Hills and Bayfields and really like them a lot. They are thinner than the Alden commando sole but I have yet to have a problem with them. Alden commando top and MTO AE mini lug bottom minus the lug heel. I feel the AE is dressier and for something like dress shoes believe they would work well. Both of these work well in snow in Mn. on these boots.

 

 

But lug thickness isn't always a determining factor in looks. My Cascades have huge lugs and to me seem very aggressive. They are a very casual boot in comparison to most of mine but they are the only shoes or boots that my secretary has ever commented on saying they were very stylish SHOES, which is in a way the goal of wearing dress boots to me. That people think you are wearing shoes instead of boots when your pant leg covers the top of them.

 

 

A surprise to me is how well butyl leather soles work in the snow and wet. Even though they are still smooth leather once broken in they have a decent amount of traction. 

post #34945 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHD28 View Post
 

Is it possible to MTO a discontinued style? 

Yes if the last is still available.

post #34946 of 70737
Maiden voyage of Black Shell Harrison's.









They are super shiny and comfy. :-)

-Mike
post #34947 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHD28 View Post
 

Is it possible to MTO a discontinued style? 

I asked about an MTO of an older style, and was told that it wasn't possible on the pair I was trying to get remade. However, Allison said that it doesn't apply to all older styles. You will have to contact her. 

Best of luck.

post #34948 of 70737

The Eagle County is removed from ae.com, interesting that they have done this. I guess the clearance price is still being honored with everyone's MTOs.

 

Right?

post #34949 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

I asked about an MTO of an older style, and was told that it wasn't possible on the pair I was trying to get remade. However, Allison said that it doesn't apply to all older styles. You will have to contact her. 
Best of luck.

From my understanding, the last is the issue regarding makeups of discontinued styles. If a discontinued style was made on an existing last you should be okay, if not I believe you are out of luck.
post #34950 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post
 

The Eagle County is removed from ae.com, interesting that they have done this. I guess the clearance price is still being honored with everyone's MTOs.

 

Right?

Not sure. I am tempted to go in on the mto and design my own boot for 197. I am thinking dark chocolate calf, brass eyelets, wheeled chili flat welt, light brown edge.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...