or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2329  

post #34921 of 70737

Can anyone speak to the differences between the Navy Distressed Leather of the Neumok and the Dark Blue Distressed Leather of the Jingle Bell Mok? Are they actually different, or is it just a lighting difference?

 

Navy Distressed Leather Neumok:

 

Dark Blue Distressed Leather Jingle Bell Mok:

post #34922 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by optopi314 View Post
 

I had defective Strands that I returned. I picked up their replacements and noticed that the leather looks weird in spots- sort of scaly. I also noticed that there are some ripples in the leather. I also noticed a streak that looks like a pen mark. I can deal with the last one. The other two make me hesitant about the quality of the leather. I want these shoes to last and if the leather is defective, I don't intend to keep them.

 

My Bourbon Strands have similar marks. I chalk it up to effects of the black burnishing wheel, and have been able to even out some of these with Conditioner/Cleaner and elbow grease.

post #34923 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
 

 

My Bourbon Strands have similar marks. I chalk it up to effects of the black burnishing wheel, and have been able to even out some of these with Conditioner/Cleaner and elbow grease.

 

The mark doesn't bother me as much as the leather scaling and ripples. Should I worry about the leather integrity? Or are they just natural parts of lighter leather and/or the manufacturing process. 

post #34924 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by optopi314 View Post
 

 

The mark doesn't bother me as much as the leather scaling and ripples. Should I worry about the leather integrity? Or are they just natural parts of lighter leather and/or the manufacturing process. 

 

I have a "scaly" part on the same part of the shoe. I just condition it well and don't worry about it. As for the ripples, it just looks like inconsistent burnishing to me, not anything structural, but maybe I'm missing something.

post #34925 of 70737
Looks normal to me.
post #34926 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
 

 

I have a "scaly" part on the same part of the shoe. I just condition it well and don't worry about it. As for the ripples, it just looks like inconsistent burnishing to me, not anything structural, but maybe I'm missing something.

 

The ripples are actually raised. 

 

As long as the leather isn't defective I am fine. I know with use they are going to not be perfect any longer. Like I said, I don't want to start off with defective leather that will reduce their lifespan. I'll make sure to condition the scaly part regularly. 

 

What is the best practice for care?  I have the conditioner, leather cream, cream polish, and heel dressing. How often do you condition vs condition/cream vs use all three? Is the AE video a good place to start? Give me a t-shirt and some Kiwi and I can spit-shine my military shoes any day, but when it comes to calf-skin I am definitely a novice. 

 

Thanks again

post #34927 of 70737

When I first started buying AE shoes, I'd gripe about small imperfections (though I never made any returns).  I've since come to realize that if I can barely make out an imperfection while standing and staring at my shoes, no one will ever, ever notice it by glancing at them.

post #34928 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
 

Can anyone speak to the differences between the Navy Distressed Leather of the Neumok and the Dark Blue Distressed Leather of the Jingle Bell Mok? Are they actually different, or is it just a lighting difference?

 

Online chat says that the Jingle Bell Mok is slightly darker "Apache Blue" (or was it "Blue Apache"?) distressed leather.

 

I may slightly prefer the Neumok (lighter leather, non-white stitching, lighter edge dressing, butyl sole), but hard to justify $275 over $199 because of it...

post #34929 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by optopi314 View Post
 

 

The ripples are actually raised. 

 

As long as the leather isn't defective I am fine. I know with use they are going to not be perfect any longer. Like I said, I don't want to start off with defective leather that will reduce their lifespan. I'll make sure to condition the scaly part regularly. 

 

What is the best practice for care?  I have the conditioner, leather cream, cream polish, and heel dressing. How often do you condition vs condition/cream vs use all three? Is the AE video a good place to start? Give me a t-shirt and some Kiwi and I can spit-shine my military shoes any day, but when it comes to calf-skin I am definitely a novice. 

 

Thanks again

 

There is a thread here dedicated to shoe care, but I don't think you need it. If you are prior service, then you are just fine. All the same rules apply. 

 

The one difference is that with calf you should pay more attention to the shoe right after you've worn it. So, if you have the discipline, rub them down with a barely damp clothe when you get home and then brush a bit (to get the dust/dirt from the day off). Other then that, give them a brush before breaking out the t-shirt for the mirror shine. And just like with those old jungle boots, make sure you only mirror shine the toes. 

 

Regarding products, AE's carnuba wax is good; saphir is the best. You don't need to condition too often at all in my opinion. Of course, more knowledgeable people on here will provide better advice.  

post #34930 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4nimal View Post
 

As far as I can tell this is a mini lug on the Bayfield, though I think it is the Toby and not the Vibram Mini Lug.  Not sure what the real difference is aside from a yellow rubber stamp on the bottom. 

 

Is the Bayfield double-soled? i.e, is that a mini lug outsole below a leather midsole and then the welt?

post #34931 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

There is a thread here dedicated to shoe care, but I don't think you need it. If you are prior service, then you are just fine. All the same rules apply. 

The one difference is that with calf you should pay more attention to the shoe right after you've worn it. So, if you have the discipline, rub them down with a barely damp clothe when you get home and then brush a bit (to get the dust/dirt from the day off). Other then that, give them a brush before breaking out the t-shirt for the mirror shine. And just like with those old jungle boots, make sure you only mirror shine the toes. 

Regarding products, AE's carnuba wax is good; saphir is the best. You don't need to condition too often at all in my opinion. Of course, more knowledgeable people on here will provide better advice.  

Thanks! Now once this disgusting weather clears out of the northeast I can wear them out and about. Look forward to wearing them considering how comfortable my McAllisters are and they aren't even broken in yet!
post #34932 of 70737

Can you guys help me decide how to spec out my MTO Eagle County? I've settled on dark brown CXL, but need help deciding:

 

Black Dainite or Butyl Leather sole? (I am worried the black sole will clash with the brown leather, but allison said they can use a dark brown welt and some edge dressing, but if that begins rubbing off it will look even worse...)

 

Brass / Copper / Other metal eyelets/speed hooks?

 

Tone matched stitching or contrasting stitching?

 

 

HELP! And thanks for your input...

post #34933 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
 

Can you guys help me decide how to spec out my MTO Eagle County? I've settled on dark brown CXL, but need help deciding:

 

Black Dainite or Butyl Leather sole? (I am worried the black sole will clash with the brown leather, but allison said they can use a dark brown welt and some edge dressing, but if that begins rubbing off it will look even worse...)

 

Brass / Copper / Other metal eyelets/speed hooks?

 

Tone matched stitching or contrasting stitching?

 

 

HELP! And thanks for your input...

Literally just got off the phone with her. I'm going for the dressy look with mine. I went with:

 

merlot upper

tone-on-tone

flat black welt

brown transparent edge

leather insole

double butyl sole

black speed hooks

 

Jeez, I'm starting to fit in around here! I literally had no idea what any of this meant as of one month ago...

 

Sounds like with brown CXL you're going slightly more casual.  If I were you, I'd go butyle sole - I like the leather over rubber. Not worried about the elements. If I'm going to wear them, I'm going to WEAR them. Go with what makes you comfortable for the color too. Brown if it makes you happy. Speed hooks, not sure what to say there without seeing the colors.

post #34934 of 70737

Hmmmm to go to the AE Chicago event or not.....it's fkn cold.....but they do waive the $125 custom fee in person....hmmmmmmm

post #34935 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post
 

Hmmmm to go to the AE Chicago event or not.....it's fkn cold.....but they do waive the $125 custom fee in person....hmmmmmmm

It'd be cool to get an MTO and not worry about fit issues since you can try different lasts on in the store.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...