Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 3/18/17 at 7:27pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 4:16 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2326post #34876 of 7073712/9/13 at 4:16pmpost #34877 of 7073712/9/13 at 4:35pmQuote:
It depends. If the squeaking is coming from the quarters rubbing against the tongue, that can be remedied with a liquid conditioner. If the squeaking is coming from the welt line, that MAY eventually go away, but isn't as easy to immediately fix. See if you can pinpoint it.post #34878 of 7073712/9/13 at 5:06pmpost #34879 of 7073712/9/13 at 5:16pm
I think brass will generate a greater visual pop, which is nice if you're trying to draw attention to your eyelets. If you want the eyelets to blend into, or draw less attention than, the upper, I'd go for copper, or perhaps a shade even closer to chili. It's personal preference.post #34880 of 7073712/9/13 at 5:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by TheSizzle
I think brass will generate a greater visual pop, which is nice if you're trying to draw attention to your eyelets. If you want the eyelets to blend into, or draw less attention than, the upper, I'd go for copper, or perhaps a shade even closer to chili. It's personal preference.
Yeah, you'r right. I'm going with a black welt, so I think the greyish brass 'pop' complements that contrast better.
Now just torn over edge dressing color on the midsole. Thinking brown transparent - light brown might be overdoing it.post #34881 of 7073712/9/13 at 5:52pmHello,
I just wanted to thank everyone and your appreciation of Allen Edmond products. After lurking for a few weeks, I decided to join. It was the information and opinions that I read on this thread that led me to purchase my first pair of AE Daltons in Walnut.
I've been coveting these boots since I first laid eyes on them. I contacted Kelsey at Jeffersonville and ordered them during the Black Friday deal. Being from Canada I had them shipped to a parcel service in the US and picked them up on the weekend on my way to Minneapolis.
While I was there I took them to Skyway Shoe Repair in downtown Minneapolis to have a rubber topper put on the soles (brutal winters in Canada). They did a fantastic job and the boots look like they came from the factory that way. If you click on my avatar, you we see pictures.
Anyways, I am looking forward to learning more about AEs and can't wait for the next deal. I am now considering Stands or McAllisters in Bourbon as my next purchase. When will it stop?
Nickpost #34882 of 7073712/9/13 at 5:56pmQuote:
It's an addiction, man. I needed to put together a respectable shoe wardrobe after starting my first job; in the last two-three months or so, I've bought black PAs, walnut Strands, brown 5As, and burgundy Sanfords.post #34883 of 7073712/9/13 at 5:59pmQuote:
So, I wonder if the addiction is worse for Aldens or AEs.
I have both.... and well you all know the story...post #34884 of 7073712/9/13 at 6:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by RogerP
Thanks. Yes, that pricing is a bit ambitious. But then they will also likely be reduced in the inevitable sales. Heck, I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a pair of AE even direct from the company.
Rosen's selection of AE has really diminished over time (more room for Prada:facepalm: ) so it's nice to have another option to at least try on some different styles and lasts.
As I'm in the PATH on a daily basis I often check out the Queen St Bay location. I'm in there probably a couple of times a week (or at least walking through it to the Eaton Centre). I haven't checked out the shoes in over a week, since the selection is "meh", and the last time I checked the only AEs they had were the Park Ave and either the LaSalle or Delray.
So far the outlets for AE in Toronto seem to be Harry Rosen, Rego in the Exchange Tower (often with OK sales), Robert Jones (near the Brooks Bros.), Brooks Bros. (for their house brand AEs) and Pace in the Brookfield place. Oh, and a few models near a place by me on Front St called Harry Young shoes. Not a great selection there, though.post #34885 of 7073712/9/13 at 6:16pmQuote:
I think they are different addictions. AE seems to be a short binge. I've seen people pop on here, talk about the 12 shoes they've purchased in the past 4 months then disappear.
Alden seems like a lifelong, and much more expensive, addiction.post #34886 of 7073712/9/13 at 6:59pmQuote:
I think it took about 5, maybe 6, weeks before my burnished merlot Strands webgem arrived. Though not MTO, they were not in stock and were considered a special order. My credit card was charged quickly after placing the order.post #34887 of 7073712/9/13 at 7:27pmpost #34888 of 7073712/9/13 at 7:48pmpost #34889 of 7073712/9/13 at 8:12pmQuote:
I think they are equally as bad. I have 5 pairs of Aldens. I have a hard time picking out Aldens to buy as I don't like a lot of their styles or cannot find a last to try-on prior to purchase.post #34890 of 7073712/9/13 at 8:24pmQuote:
I suffer from exactly this. AEs are more accessible and essentially infinitely accessible via MTO. Not to mention, as you did Alden's shoes are quite a bit more and much harder to come by, thus forcing me to "buy first and think later". Of course, I did splurge when I figured out that AE was running out of Cappuccino.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › What is this no collar shirt called? It looks really nice 7 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 9 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 11 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › CANALI brown double monk shoes - Size 9 US / 8 UK / 42 EU - New in Box 19 minutes ago
- › Funny Catch Phrases 31 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...