or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2250  

post #33736 of 70737
Dalton's today20131118_085016_zps3f45b302.jpg
post #33737 of 70737

Received my custom brown shell cordovan belt today.  It looks so good I'm afraid to wear it. :-)

post #33738 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post
 

Question for everyone:

 

Wore my Shell daltons today in our first snow fall of the year, which equates to about a half mile of walking in ankle/calf deep snow. When I got home, they looked pretty rough. Covered in spots, dirty, and not an ounce of shine. After would 10-15 minutes of brushing and buffing, they're back to looking great, and their shine might have actually improved since before I wore them in the snow.

 

My question is, will doing this 2-3 times a week (roughly the amount I plan on wearing them) be overly injurious to my boots? I don't want to baby them, but is what i'm doing too extreme? They have a topy applied, and I plan to always tree them, and let them rest at least one day between wears.


Why would you do that? There's going to be salt and crap in there too and you will ruin those boots.
Why not just get a pair of boots that are built for that purpose. You are wearing dress boots through salt and snow. What do you think is going to happen?

post #33739 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post

Question for everyone:

Wore my Shell daltons today in our first snow fall of the year, which equates to about a half mile of walking in ankle/calf deep snow. When I got home, they looked pretty rough. Covered in spots, dirty, and not an ounce of shine. After would 10-15 minutes of brushing and buffing, they're back to looking great, and their shine might have actually improved since before I wore them in the snow.

My question is, will doing this 2-3 times a week (roughly the amount I plan on wearing them) be overly injurious to my boots? I don't want to baby them, but is what i'm doing too extreme? They have a topy applied, and I plan to always tree them, and let them rest at least one day between wears.

You should be fine. You may want to read some of the Wolverine threads on the best way to seal the shell. I know there is a lot if good info over there
post #33740 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 


Why would you do that? There's going to be salt and crap in there too and you will ruin those boots.
Why not just get a pair of boots that are built for that purpose. You are wearing dress boots through salt and snow. What do you think is going to happen?


I always hear about how tough shell cordovan is, so part of me wants to wear these hard and test the theory. My city doesn't salt the roads, only sand (obviously there will be some salt regardless). But thanks for the response. Im debating just buying a pair of Bean boots or Sorrels for the nasty days, and only wearing the daltons when its a little better out/ i'll be doing less walking

post #33741 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post


You should be fine. You may want to read some of the Wolverine threads on the best way to seal the shell. I know there is a lot if good info over there

 

Thanks. I'll check it out. Appreciate it.

post #33742 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post
 

Question for everyone:

 

Wore my Shell daltons today in our first snow fall of the year, which equates to about a half mile of walking in ankle/calf deep snow. When I got home, they looked pretty rough. Covered in spots, dirty, and not an ounce of shine. After would 10-15 minutes of brushing and buffing, they're back to looking great, and their shine might have actually improved since before I wore them in the snow.

 

My question is, will doing this 2-3 times a week (roughly the amount I plan on wearing them) be overly injurious to my boots? I don't want to baby them, but is what i'm doing too extreme? They have a topy applied, and I plan to always tree them, and let them rest at least one day between wears.

 

I think it's what kind of boot you want your walnut shell Daltons to be.  If they're going to be a beater boot and you don't care if they "age" and deteriorate a bit faster, then that's fine.  But then you can't expect them to remain pristine and "dressy". My walnut shell Daltons are a year and a half old now and I personally don't treat them like that because I'm not sure when I could replace them if I needed to.  But I don't baby them either (I don't baby any of my boots as I prefer a worn-in look).  However you decide to wear them, enjoy!

post #33743 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post

Dalton's today Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
20131118_085016_zps3f45b302.jpg

 

 

Love the way your Daltons are looking! I especially like the way they're creasing on the quarters.  I need to wear mine more often to get them to where yours are.  How old are they?

post #33744 of 70737

Wore the Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers Black Strands today.......

post #33745 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post
 

 

 If they're going to be a beater boot and you don't care if they "age" and deteriorate a bit faster, then that's fine.  

That's precisely what I'm debating right now with the Long Branches on sale. They look like they could handle rain and snow well, but the $300 price point is making me second guess. Especially, when I could pick up Wolverine 1000 mile's for less. 

post #33746 of 70737

My Walnut Calf Daltons from Amazon have arrived. Didn't know they'd be this sweet.

AppleMark

post #33747 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkplex View Post
 

That's precisely what I'm debating right now with the Long Branches on sale. They look like they could handle rain and snow well, but the $300 price point is making me second guess. Especially, when I could pick up Wolverine 1000 mile's for less. 


I also have a pair of Long branches that I coated with 2 very thick applications of Obenaufs LP, and since then, i've thrown everything at them. Pouring rain, the same ankle deep snow as my Shell Daltons, and I even wore them out to the club the other night (it was a casual place) and I have to say that they just keep getting better with every wear. If you're mostly going to be in rain or lighter snow, I would recommend them for sure. I can see if I can get a decent photo up on mine later this week. I've worn them at least once a week, if not more, since September.

post #33748 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post
 


I also have a pair of Long branches that I coated with 2 very thick applications of Obenaufs LP, and since then, i've thrown everything at them. Pouring rain, the same ankle deep snow as my Shell Daltons, and I even wore them out to the club the other night (it was a casual place) and I have to say that they just keep getting better with every wear. If you're mostly going to be in rain or lighter snow, I would recommend them for sure. I can see if I can get a decent photo up on mine later this week. I've worn them at least once a week, if not more, since September.

Thanks for the reply. I live in the northeast, so I'm looking for a boot to wear to work (business-casual) when it snows/rains. Do you think the Long Branches are too aggressive/casual? I don't know how they'd look with slacks and a dress-shirt. 

post #33749 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkplex View Post
 

Thanks for the reply. I live in the northeast, so I'm looking for a boot to wear to work (business-casual) when it snows/rains. Do you think the Long Branches are too aggressive/casual? I don't know how they'd look with slacks and a dress-shirt. 


I'm also in the Northeast.  Last Monday when we had some snow in the morning I wore my Long Branch boots with slacks and a dress shirt and got some compliments on my boots.  I've also worn them casually with jeans and khakis...

post #33750 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkplex View Post
 

Thanks for the reply. I live in the northeast, so I'm looking for a boot to wear to work (business-casual) when it snows/rains. Do you think the Long Branches are too aggressive/casual? I don't know how they'd look with slacks and a dress-shirt. 


I wear mine usually with jeans, pretty casually. They could double ask business-casual boots, depending on where your work falls in that whole spectrum. If I were you, i'd change the red laces out for some flat waxed (or another kind) brown laces, and that would make them look a bit dressier. You could pull it off them for sure. The 1-last isn't really "sleek," but its infinitely better than the square boxes my co-workers consider footwear.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...