or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2233  

post #33481 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

hey guys, picked up these the other day thrifting. got em for $20. two things.

1. good deal?

2. how can i bring these back to life easiest?

 

Looks like Walton in Chili?  They also don't look very worn based on lack of creases in your photo.  I'd say you got a great deal!  Conditioner/Cleaner or Renovateur, followed by AE Premium Polish in Chili would have them looking fantastic.

post #33482 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

PSA: Receive an additional 30% off most AE styles at Amazon using promotion code 30SHOES1.  This offer applies to many other brands too (over $100).

Damn, they never carry anything good in my size!
post #33483 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

PSA: Receive an additional 30% off most AE styles at Amazon using promotion code 30SHOES1.  This offer applies to many other brands too (over $100).

Thanks, just got some Long Branch boots!
post #33484 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Looks like Walton in Chili?  They also don't look very worn based on lack of creases in your photo.  I'd say you got a great deal!  Conditioner/Cleaner or Renovateur, followed by AE Premium Polish in Chili would have them looking fantastic.

yep they're the waltons. they look pretty damn good. ill post a picture of the soles later.

can Lexol be used on a budget?
post #33485 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post


yep they're the waltons. they look pretty damn good. ill post a picture of the soles later.

can Lexol be used on a budget?

 

Yes, many prefer Lexol in fact.

post #33486 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

yep they're the waltons. they look pretty damn good. ill post a picture of the soles later.

can Lexol be used on a budget?

Lexol wouldn't be great on calfskin. Even though it's called a conditioner, it's actually a mix of high-quality, non-petroleum oils. It's wonderful on rugged, full-grain leathers (I use it on CXL and shell cordovan boots), but its too heavy-duty for calfskin, especially if you're planning on keeping them as dress shoes. What you should use is any cream conditioner, AE's is very inexpensive and available with free shipping. Renovateur is too expensive, and unnecessary for a pair of used shoes. Or just go to your local cobbler and ask for a thing of shoe conditioner. Or, have him fix them up for you, mine usually charges $7-10 for a full conditioning, cleaning and polishing of my shoes.
post #33487 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post


Lexol wouldn't be great on calfskin. Even though it's called a conditioner, it's actually a mix of high-quality, non-petroleum oils. It's wonderful on rugged, full-grain leathers (I use it on CXL and shell cordovan boots), but its too heavy-duty for calfskin, especially if you're planning on keeping them as dress shoes. What you should use is any cream conditioner, AE's is very inexpensive and available with free shipping. Renovateur is too expensive, and unnecessary for a pair of used shoes. Or just go to your local cobbler and ask for a thing of shoe conditioner. Or, have him fix them up for you, mine usually charges $7-10 for a full conditioning, cleaning and polishing of my shoes.

 

I use AE conditioner/cleaner myself, and have always been very happy with it.

 

It is worth pointing out, however, that all conditioners are oils or blends of oils.  Many experts swear by Lexol (or at least speak very highly of it), and use it on everything (calf, shell, cow, etc.).  There are world class bespoke shoe makers who use it on calf as well.  Also of note, Lexol is actually supposed to be on the lighter side of the spectrum.   The oils in Lexol were specifically selected for their light weight and further emulsified to make it even lighter.  The consistency, as a result, is a much more liquidy product rather than one that has a lotion like consistency (indicative of it's light weight).

 

The drawback to Lexol, is that it is less convenient being that it doesn't contain a cleaner in addition to the conditioning oils.  Thus, it adds an extra step if you value cleaning your shoes in addition to conditioning during the care process.

post #33488 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post
 

PSA: Receive an additional 30% off most AE styles at Amazon using promotion code 30SHOES1.  This offer applies to many other brands too (over $100).

 

Thanks. I'm thinking of buying a pair of Strands (never owned or tried on AE shoes). I'm usually 9.5, but my feet are thick on top. Should I order a size 10 D?

post #33489 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post
 

 

Thanks. I'm thinking of buying a pair of Strands (never owned or tried on AE shoes). I'm usually 9.5, but my feet are thick on top. Should I order a size 10 D?

I would probably order a 9E or 9EEE. I would suggest going to an AE store and trying them out first. I see you are in NYC. There are multiple AE stores in Manhattan.

post #33490 of 70737

Wow, thanks so much!

post #33491 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansto View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post
 

 

Thanks. I'm thinking of buying a pair of Strands (never owned or tried on AE shoes). I'm usually 9.5, but my feet are thick on top. Should I order a size 10 D?

I would probably order a 9E or 9EEE. I would suggest going to an AE store and trying them out first. I see you are in NYC. There are multiple AE stores in Manhattan.

 

Thanks... 9.5E/EEE or 9E/EEE?

 

I currently don't have time to go to the AE stores in Manhattan, due to work. So, I'll take advantage of Amazon's good return policy for now.

post #33492 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post
 

Thanks... 9.5E/EEE or 9E/EEE?

 

I currently don't have time to go to the AE stores in Manhattan, due to work. So, I'll take advantage of Amazon's good return policy for now.

 

You could always try all 4.

post #33493 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post
 

 

Thanks... 9.5E/EEE or 9E/EEE?

 

I currently don't have time to go to the AE stores in Manhattan, due to work. So, I'll take advantage of Amazon's good return policy for now.

I would say 9. The 5 last is known to run longer and narrower than most. Additionallys, you say you jave a high instep, and on a balmoral like the strand, you might benefit from going out to the EEE.

post #33494 of 70737
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryansto View Post

 

I would say 9. The 5 last is known to run longer and narrower than most. Additionallys, you say you jave a high instep, and on a balmoral like the strand, you might benefit from going out to the EEE.

 

Thanks again! I'll update how it fits.

post #33495 of 70737
Just got a call from Allison. My MTO Dundees are ready to ship! Oct 14 order date makes for a 4 week turnaround.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...