or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2222  

post #33316 of 70737

Placed my MTO first week in October and still waiting.  I can't get those harrison shells out of my head that were posted a few pages back. I might have to place another MTO for those.  I don't think my foot does well on the 65 last as I'm on my second pair of park ave's and the bowing is getting out of control.  AE already said they'd work with me on returning them. I might just use that credit towards a Shell Harrison as I know my foot does well on that last with my Rutledges.  

post #33317 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post


"Dad jeans" are generally speaking super relaxed jeans that haven't been properly maintained, super-faded, and generally have an inseam that's fitted like trousers rather than like jeans. Of course, that's a broad statement, dad jeans is more of a state-of-being than a specific kind of jeans.

Denim should, generally, be dark (except for fades that come from actual wear), relatively fitted (they don't have to be skinny jeans, but they should be somewhat flattering, Levi 501 should be more than relaxed enough for anyone) and some attention should be taken to how they're stored/washed so that they don't develop weird, random or vertical creases. The inseam should be long, so you either want them cuffed or narrow enough that you can stack them on top of your shoe. If the hem still touches the ground, it's a bad fit.

Those jeans you can see how *huge* the cuff opening is compared to the size of the foot, you can see that the creases are random and vertical.

And, if someone's response is "well, I don't care about those kinds of things" well, that kind of viewpoint is why they're called dad jeans. Dads just don't care. Mine sure as hell doesn't.

So it's more of a mentality than an actual application..?

 

I would think dad jeans would be mid-high rise, tapered leg, medium-light wash. I don't see many dads wearing jeans like USAmade's. That look(bootcut, dark wash, and somewhat overdetailed with preplaced creases, distressing, etc...) seems to be more prevalent in the younger crowd, or was a few years ago.

 

I agree with your general denim guidelines. I stick with American made, dark wash, straight leg jeans from Seven for All Mankind, Joe's, Citizens of Humanity and Hudson, usually cuffed. I figure that dark, clean jeans will never go out of style, while certain washes and detailing will come and go.

post #33318 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHD28 View Post

wdahab,

amazing explanation. electronic high five!

i pray to the higher ups that my two recent MTOs pass initial inspection. any delays would KILL me right now.

it appears that a few who have ordered MTOs during the RDA sale have already received their pairs. out of curiosity, who is still waiting, and who has already received their orders?

Ordered mine on Oct 1st ish and received them both already. Took me 4 weeks and 5 weeks to get my Jeffersons and Harrisons.

-Mike
post #33319 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post

Placed my MTO first week in October and still waiting.  I can't get those harrison shells out of my head that were posted a few pages back. I might have to place another MTO for those.  I don't think my foot does well on the 65 last as I'm on my second pair of park ave's and the bowing is getting out of control.  AE already said they'd work with me on returning them. I might just use that credit towards a Shell Harrison as I know my foot does well on that last with my Rutledges.  

Your welcome on the Harrison's. HeHe. They are spectacular in person. :-) One of my best shoe decisions ever.

-Mike
post #33320 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post
 

I know these aren't AE, but I value the opinion of SF AE fans. I stumbled across these a while back and continue to shop them online. They are To Boot New York, the Lincoln model. I love how they look, and love the burnishing on the cap. Does anyone have any experience with these, or has anyone seen them in person? They retail for $398. I have 3 pairs or Daltons, walnut, black and burgundy shell. I also have a pair of brown fifth streets. I seem to like the look of these better than that of my AE boots. I am really intrigued by this boot, and hoping someone can shed some light on these for me.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

I don't know anything about the construction or materials, but my tailor wears TBNY boots in the winter, likes them and recommended them to me.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfn View Post

The leather looks sub-par and the design a bit "cheap" IMO.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post


I have three pairs of To Boot NY boots which I bought before I got converted. But I'm being unfair to them. I don't have that particular boot but they seem to be always made in Italy and of Blake construction. Mine seem to have good quality leather without any of the seemingly intentional distressed creasing that many Italian fashion boots have.

I still really like the looks and design of most of their boots. As I said, the leather seems to be of good quality albeit a bit thin. They are definitely fashion oriented and not as sturdy as say, the Dalton's (I have four pairs) and I would guess not as durable.

I would not recommend against getting them but you shouldn't pay full retail for them. They go on sale at a good discount quite often. Good luck.

 

 

I agree with most of the above. I think they're too much $$$ for what they are.


Has the OP looked at frye boots? They're often better priced and the quality is pretty awesome. I've liked a ton of their boots as of late and I'm actually saving up for a pair of their black boots. If I end up getting black boots at all I'll get these:

 

 

I really like my daltons, but I'm honestly a little disappointed by how clunky they look sometimes. They're definitely not flattering in terms of width (8.5E). They're pretty damn comfy though.

post #33321 of 70737
Yes, thank you for making me even more broke. Ha ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Your welcome on the Harrison's. HeHe. They are spectacular in person. :-) One of my best shoe decisions ever.

-Mike
post #33322 of 70737

Does anyone know of a good casual belt to match a pair of bourbon AE Mcallisters? I like the AE Madison belt in walnut to match my Strands, but they don't appear to make it in bourbon. 

post #33323 of 70737

I own one AE belt and it's in Bourbon and it does not match my Bourbon Fifth Ave's so your best bet is to bring your shoes with you when you go belt shopping. I had luck with a Croft and Barrow from Kohls.  It's cheap but it did the trick. 

post #33324 of 70737

The bourbon color is all over the place ... or AE can't quite decide what it looks like or how to photograph it.

 

Compare this picture from a recent email:

 

 

to the pictures on the page it links to:

 

  

 

I mean, I'm not one to get too fastidious over variants in shading (honestly, there are plenty of distinctions made in his thread that I barely see) but those look like two entirely different colors.  

post #33325 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


Ordered mine on Oct 1st ish and received them both already. Took me 4 weeks and 5 weeks to get my Jeffersons and Harrisons.

-Mike

I ordered my Burgundy Shell Franciscans on 10/4, and have heard nothing.... I may email Allison.

post #33326 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post
 

I know these aren't AE, but I value the opinion of SF AE fans. I stumbled across these a while back and continue to shop them online. They are To Boot New York, the Lincoln model. I love how they look, and love the burnishing on the cap. Does anyone have any experience with these, or has anyone seen them in person? They retail for $398. I have 3 pairs or Daltons, walnut, black and burgundy shell. I also have a pair of brown fifth streets. I seem to like the look of these better than that of my AE boots. I am really intrigued by this boot, and hoping someone can shed some light on these for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

I don't know anything about the construction or materials, but my tailor wears TBNY boots in the winter, likes them and recommended them to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfn View Post

The leather looks sub-par and the design a bit "cheap" IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post


I have three pairs of To Boot NY boots which I bought before I got converted. But I'm being unfair to them. I don't have that particular boot but they seem to be always made in Italy and of Blake construction. Mine seem to have good quality leather without any of the seemingly intentional distressed creasing that many Italian fashion boots have.

I still really like the looks and design of most of their boots. As I said, the leather seems to be of good quality albeit a bit thin. They are definitely fashion oriented and not as sturdy as say, the Dalton's (I have four pairs) and I would guess not as durable.

I would not recommend against getting them but you shouldn't pay full retail for them. They go on sale at a good discount quite often. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

 

I agree with most of the above. I think they're too much $$$ for what they are.

 

I really like my daltons, but I'm honestly a little disappointed by how clunky they look sometimes. They're definitely not flattering in terms of width (8.5E). They're pretty damn comfy though.

I would like to see AE make the Independence Gwinnett. I have seen pics but not sure if it will make it into production or not. I would be all over these if they did. What I want is a burnished captoe boot. My fifth streets just don't do it for me. Maybe I should ask Allison if I can do a MTO for a shoe they have not introduced... 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2


Edited by GOP Shoe Guy - 11/10/13 at 3:09pm
post #33327 of 70737

Yeah my Bourbon Fifth Ave.'s almost look olive.  Nothing like the Bourbon belt I got from them.

post #33328 of 70737

Just to let those who have access to AAFES shopping know, Strands are listed on the website at $180.  You can also use this code for 10% off.  x2182vip  And of course, no tax and free shipping.  I thought $162 was a pretty good score :)

 

https://shop.milexch.com/shop/Product.aspx?dept_id=23204&PFID=D080M&gid=&AskReturn=search

 

Discount shows when you log in.

post #33329 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzman View Post
 

Just to let those who have access to AAFES shopping know, Strands are listed on the website at $180.  You can also use this code for 10% off.  x2182vip  And of course, no tax and free shipping.  I thought $162 was a pretty good score :)

 

https://shop.milexch.com/shop/Product.aspx?dept_id=23204&PFID=D080M&gid=&AskReturn=search

 

Discount shows when you log in.

 

Whats the rule on service men and women using AAFES for their friends or fellow forum followers?

 

This deal is amazing!

post #33330 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
 

The bourbon color is all over the place ... or AE can't quite decide what it looks like or how to photograph it.

 

Compare this picture from a recent email:

 

 

to the pictures on the page it links to:

 

  

 

I mean, I'm not one to get too fastidious over variants in shading (honestly, there are plenty of distinctions made in his thread that I barely see) but those look like two entirely different colors.

The color's definitely more like the website photos above. The other pictures are probably in front of lights and edited. I have the bourbon Hanover, and it's a deep brown.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...