What do you, gentlemen, think of a pair of MTO CXL McNeils (either black or brown) with the exposed brass eyelets, natural welt and the Dainite sole, simialr to this pair of Trickers?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:20 am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 2:28 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2163post #32432 of 7073710/23/13 at 9:16ampost #32433 of 7073710/23/13 at 9:21amQuote:
Would be best in a navy CXL (which AE doesn't have), but black or brown would be pretty cool as well.post #32434 of 7073710/23/13 at 9:26am
Yes, AE has brown and black CXL from Horween.Quote:
Agreed. I wish they had it in blue as well. Out of brown and black, which do you think would look better?post #32435 of 7073710/23/13 at 9:53ampost #32436 of 7073710/23/13 at 9:57amQuote:
I think black would be cool and give you kind of a sneaker look with the lighter edge. I think the black would actually be more interesting in this case.post #32437 of 7073710/23/13 at 10:18amQuote:I'm not sure if you know this or not, but only a certain part of the horse (near the rump) is used for shell, so if the horses are smaller there is a good chance that there is not enough membrane to make a pair of shell shoes.Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan
the horses are smaller, but horses still. I think the shells would still be plenty big... But I'm no expert on horses, or Tanning so I could be completely wrong. It's possible that They've already checked into the Mongolia thing and it didn't work out.
The horses are smaller, but not small enough that they wouldn't produce shells big enough for shoe making. As far as thickness goes, if anything I would imagine their hides are thicker than western horse hides... again, I could be TOTALLY off base here.post #32438 of 7073710/23/13 at 11:17ampost #32439 of 7073710/23/13 at 11:38ampost #32440 of 7073710/23/13 at 11:41amQuote:
yes, I am aware of this. They are smaller, but still large animals. Have you ever seen a full horse hide? They are enormous! While the shell is a small portion of the horse hide, it is still rather large. The difference in size would be insignificant, probably like the difference in the leather it takes to make a men's basketball compared to a women's basketball. Mongolian horses are smaller than American horses, but still large animals.
Given the harsh environment that they are accustomed to it's possible that the difference in thickness or texture of the hides is the real issue.post #32441 of 7073710/23/13 at 11:45amQuote:
on a side note I notice you have the same shoelace loop issue that so many of us have. I solve this by double knotting... is that bad of me?post #32442 of 7073710/23/13 at 11:51amQuote:
Why not just re-learn how to tie your shoes "correctly?"
I know that's easy for me to say, since I've always tied mine "correctly" (I think it may have something to do with being left handed). The way a lefty naturally ties a shoe tends to result in the "correct" method, while the natural way for a right handed person (unless they were taught the correct way as a child), is to do it the opposite way which leads to the problem you have.
It may be awkward for a few weeks, but you'd form a new habit sooner than you think.post #32443 of 7073710/23/13 at 11:51ampost #32444 of 7073710/23/13 at 11:59amQuote:
I find the 0 last to be one of the most comfortable AE lasts. I wear an 8D on the 0 last, which is my "normal" shoe size, but on the 5 and 7 I prefer an 8.5B and on the 8 last an 8.5D. The 0 last doesn't have the uncomfortableness on the instep and ball of the foot that some of the other last have when they are at the shorter length of an 8.post #32445 of 7073710/23/13 at 12:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by FreedBird
I find the 0 last to be one of the most comfortable AE lasts. I wear an 8D on the 0 last, which is my "normal" shoe size, but on the 5 and 7 I prefer an 8.5B and on the 8 last an 8.5D. The 0 last doesn't have the uncomfortableness on the instep and ball of the foot that some of the other last have when they are at the shorter length of an 8.
Thank you for sharing this. Interesting, I know that most people, me including, go 1/2 size down and 1/2 size up on 5 last compare to their Brannock size. I am surprised and puzzled you found a good fit going 1/2 size up and 1/2 width down.
I also found that the 7 last fits me way different from the 5 last.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 22 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 23 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge 2016/09/30 - "Blue and Green Now Must Be Seen" 28 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 38 minutes ago
- › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. 54 minutes ago
- › MTO/ Bespoke shoe plans for 2015? 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...