What do you, gentlemen, think of a pair of MTO CXL McNeils (either black or brown) with the exposed brass eyelets, natural welt and the Dainite sole, simialr to this pair of Trickers?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 2/6/16 at 8:20am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 9:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 2/10/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2163
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32432 of 7073510/23/13 at 9:16ampost #32433 of 7073510/23/13 at 9:21amQuote:
Would be best in a navy CXL (which AE doesn't have), but black or brown would be pretty cool as well.post #32434 of 7073510/23/13 at 9:26am
Yes, AE has brown and black CXL from Horween.Quote:
Agreed. I wish they had it in blue as well. Out of brown and black, which do you think would look better?post #32435 of 7073510/23/13 at 9:53ampost #32436 of 7073510/23/13 at 9:57amQuote:
I think black would be cool and give you kind of a sneaker look with the lighter edge. I think the black would actually be more interesting in this case.post #32437 of 7073510/23/13 at 10:18amQuote:I'm not sure if you know this or not, but only a certain part of the horse (near the rump) is used for shell, so if the horses are smaller there is a good chance that there is not enough membrane to make a pair of shell shoes.Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan
the horses are smaller, but horses still. I think the shells would still be plenty big... But I'm no expert on horses, or Tanning so I could be completely wrong. It's possible that They've already checked into the Mongolia thing and it didn't work out.
The horses are smaller, but not small enough that they wouldn't produce shells big enough for shoe making. As far as thickness goes, if anything I would imagine their hides are thicker than western horse hides... again, I could be TOTALLY off base here.post #32438 of 7073510/23/13 at 11:17ampost #32439 of 7073510/23/13 at 11:38ampost #32440 of 7073510/23/13 at 11:41amQuote:
yes, I am aware of this. They are smaller, but still large animals. Have you ever seen a full horse hide? They are enormous! While the shell is a small portion of the horse hide, it is still rather large. The difference in size would be insignificant, probably like the difference in the leather it takes to make a men's basketball compared to a women's basketball. Mongolian horses are smaller than American horses, but still large animals.
Given the harsh environment that they are accustomed to it's possible that the difference in thickness or texture of the hides is the real issue.post #32441 of 7073510/23/13 at 11:45amQuote:
on a side note I notice you have the same shoelace loop issue that so many of us have. I solve this by double knotting... is that bad of me?post #32442 of 7073510/23/13 at 11:51amQuote:
Why not just re-learn how to tie your shoes "correctly?"
I know that's easy for me to say, since I've always tied mine "correctly" (I think it may have something to do with being left handed). The way a lefty naturally ties a shoe tends to result in the "correct" method, while the natural way for a right handed person (unless they were taught the correct way as a child), is to do it the opposite way which leads to the problem you have.
It may be awkward for a few weeks, but you'd form a new habit sooner than you think.post #32443 of 7073510/23/13 at 11:51ampost #32444 of 7073510/23/13 at 11:59amQuote:
I find the 0 last to be one of the most comfortable AE lasts. I wear an 8D on the 0 last, which is my "normal" shoe size, but on the 5 and 7 I prefer an 8.5B and on the 8 last an 8.5D. The 0 last doesn't have the uncomfortableness on the instep and ball of the foot that some of the other last have when they are at the shorter length of an 8.post #32445 of 7073510/23/13 at 12:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by FreedBird
I find the 0 last to be one of the most comfortable AE lasts. I wear an 8D on the 0 last, which is my "normal" shoe size, but on the 5 and 7 I prefer an 8.5B and on the 8 last an 8.5D. The 0 last doesn't have the uncomfortableness on the instep and ball of the foot that some of the other last have when they are at the shorter length of an 8.
Thank you for sharing this. Interesting, I know that most people, me including, go 1/2 size down and 1/2 size up on 5 last compare to their Brannock size. I am surprised and puzzled you found a good fit going 1/2 size up and 1/2 width down.
I also found that the 7 last fits me way different from the 5 last.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizing
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 25 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 31 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 31 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 32 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three 32 minutes ago
- › Edward Green (UK6 1/2E) Westminster 36 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?