Yup. Google search works. Hopefully this just blows over like last time when we found out they were looking for capital. I would be disappointed if Mens Wearhouse even purchases a significant share of AE.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:44 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2159post #32371 of 7073710/22/13 at 2:54pmpost #32372 of 7073710/22/13 at 3:12pm
I, too, am concerned by this, but AE is not independently owned at present. Per the WSJ:
"It also isn't clear whether Jos. A. Bank agrees with the strategic rationale of an acquisition by Men's Wearhouse of Allen Edmonds, which is owned by private-equity firm Goldner Hawn Johnson & Morrison."
The board of MW recently ousted founder George "You'll like the way you look" Zimmer and appears intent on taking the company in a different direction (http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2013/07/02/mens-wearhouse-a-storm-in-a-teacup/). That JAB is trying to buy MW says something. It may be that the only effect on consumers will be increased availability. Personally, I wouldn't mind driving 2 miles (vice 60) to get fitted.
If your worst fears are realized, however, and AE becomes another Florsheim, you can derive the same satisfaction from all of the AEs currently in your closet that you now reserve for your MTO cappuccino shells. I doubt this will happen, however, as MW wants AE because it is AE.post #32373 of 7073710/22/13 at 3:29pmpost #32374 of 7073710/22/13 at 3:41pmpost #32375 of 7073710/22/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
Quote: "Allen Edmonds shoes can sell for as much as $545 a pair, and are sold at upscale department stores such as Nordstrom Inc."
Don't cordovans retail at $595 a pair?post #32376 of 7073710/22/13 at 3:47pmpost #32377 of 7073710/22/13 at 3:48pmpost #32378 of 7073710/22/13 at 3:50pmpost #32379 of 7073710/22/13 at 4:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Pastor
I've heard all that before but what really is the difference between brown and cappuccino. They are both various shades of brown so why is one obtainable and the other not obtainable. In fact, my cappuccino shells are darker than the brown shells I have. I understand walnut being hard to obtain but I have hard time understanding why the "darker" colors are so rare (this also applies to Alden's Cigar).
It's just good business strategies at work. Within the next year they will probably have another "rare" shade of shell cordovan, if they don't just bring back cappuccino or walnut that is.post #32380 of 7073710/22/13 at 4:11pmQuote:
I don't see how this could be a marketing strategy for AE, as they charge the same price irrespective of the shell color? The profit they generated from a handful MTOs using walnut or cappuccino shell I'd probably minuscule for the company in a grand scheme of things.
Having visited the Horween factory a few weeks ago I can assure you that I personally haven't seen any lighter shades of cordovan but they had tons of #8 and brown.post #32381 of 7073710/22/13 at 4:31pmQuote:
Horween is the limiter, not AE. Flawless hides are needed for lighter shell colors like walnut, ravello, and whiskey versus the less-perfect ones needed color 8 and black.
Please don't post nonsense.post #32382 of 7073710/22/13 at 4:42pmQuote:
It's not even Horween per se. The supply has been very scarce in the past year or so due to the number of factors, such as the overall decrease in consumption of horse meet in Europe, new regulations, etc. I was told things begin to look better, especially as Horween is looking for the new suppliers (Ukraine) outside of its traditional markets (France, Belgium and Quebec). However, I doubt we will ever see the prices for the shell go down and the rare colors to be abundant.post #32383 of 7073710/22/13 at 4:45pmpost #32384 of 7073710/22/13 at 5:07pm
A local (to AE) article about Men's Wearhouse's potential bid to buy AE:
Not sure if it says anything new compared to the WSJ article - no comment from Paul G.post #32385 of 7073710/22/13 at 5:27pmQuote:
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Edward Green, Ullswater, Walnut Country Calf, 10-10.5, Shoe Trees 48 seconds ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 58 seconds ago
- › Cars We Drive! 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 3 minutes ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 3 minutes ago
- › OAMC - Over All Master Cloth - Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 6 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...