I don't participate in MTOs but think it's great that you're wanting to show appreciation for what she has done for you. That's a pretty rare thing in the world of retail!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:04 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2132post #31966 of 7073710/16/13 at 3:36pmpost #31967 of 7073710/16/13 at 3:46pmpost #31968 of 7073710/16/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
Thanks, Bespoken and Ryden
Thanks for the advice, SB. I was also convincing myself that the bone is unlikely to possess any magic properties, and the fact that it transfers "oils" to the shell, is probably a myth. I wonder if anyone compare the effect achieved from the bone vs. a tea spoon? Sounds like a worthy experiment.post #31969 of 7073710/16/13 at 3:47pmpost #31970 of 7073710/16/13 at 4:17pmpost #31971 of 7073710/16/13 at 4:43pmpost #31972 of 7073710/16/13 at 4:50pmQuote:
Just did that today. Got a deer bone, reno and cordovan polish. Apparently Kirby from the Hanger Project will live chat with you. He (if it really was him) was helpful in explaining the purpose of renovateur vs saphir cordovan polish for cordovan shoes. I was told if I use the cordovan polish, I do not need to use renovateur. Do you guys have any experience with this for AE shells?post #31973 of 7073710/16/13 at 5:12pm
I think I'm unsubscribing from this thread for a bit. I've spent way too much money on shoes lately and think I'm in a good place as far as what I own goes.
I went to the CH and AE stores today, but ended up getting a pair of much cheaper Aldo black boots. For now, I think I'm happy with my one pair of AE daltons. When I start interviews for medical school next year, I'll probably pick up a pair of AE Park avenue's for interviews. Maybe they'll have a shaker height in black by then. For now, I think I'm good. You guys rubbed off on me in the sense that I'm not the biggest fan of black shoes, so skimping on those was a good idea for me for now.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll probably pop in every now and then and then have to wipe the drool off my keyboard :)post #31974 of 7073710/16/13 at 5:58pmpost #31975 of 7073710/16/13 at 6:02pmpost #31976 of 7073710/16/13 at 6:03pmpost #31977 of 7073710/16/13 at 6:08pmpost #31978 of 7073710/16/13 at 6:10pmQuote: ridetheclicheI went to the CH and AE stores today, but ended up getting a pair of much cheaper Aldo black boots. For now, I think I'm happy with my one pair of AE daltons. When I start interviews for medical school next year, I'll probably pick up a pair of AE Park avenue's for interviews. Maybe they'll have a shaker height in black by then. For now, I think I'm good. You guys rubbed off on me in the sense that I'm not the biggest fan of black shoes, so skimping on those was a good idea for me for now.
As a current medical student, I'm going to suggest continuing to skimp on the black shoes even for interviews (good luck by the way). I didn't get my first pair of AE until nearly the end of interview season and rode it out with a pair of beaten-up black Dockers or Rockport shoes. Pick something comfortable - you're going to be on your feet all day during the interview - the Rockports are good for that. I've found very little use for black captoe bals in medical school, I just think they're too formal for clinic-wear and you won't have time to do much in terms of evening banquets and such. If you can get them on a nice discount though, sure, why not?
In general I've found that standing for 8-10 hours (you don't get to sit very much) in any pair of leather-soled shoes tends to be painful, and you'll probably end up buying a pair of Merrell's for clinics, and maybe Danskos for surgery. I rarely wear my black PAs now. If anything, the shoes I wear most commonly to clinic (and I still try to wear my nice shoes, because honestly, who wants to wear clogs?) are my brown Kenilworths. The plain toe blucher is a really versatile look and given you'll be wearing at most a white-coat over a shirt/tie and trousers, it works quite well in a number of situations. I do have the brown Fifth Aves (and RL Sandersons and Innswood) and wear them as well, but I'd say the Kenilworth is my most versatile and used pair of AEs (both in and out of the clinic).
On the side I dropped by local high end menswear shop recently and asked what they sell most to their physician clientele, and the shoe rep recommended a few options: shoes that accommodate orthotic inserts (like some AEs, though I haven't liked these styles much), the $900+ Santonis he was trying to sell me on, and getting a dark crepe sole or something similar put on your dress shoes. He showed me a few other high end brands w/ crepe soles and they were a dream to walk in, and they'd blend in at work also. Of course these will wear out pretty quick so that's a regular cost, but he said it's worked well for some of his regulars. I was wondering what SFers think about this suggestion? I definitely would like to keep wearing my nicer shoes but for the foreseeable future I'm not going to be high enough on the totem pole to sit down and rest my knees/feet regularly, so the leather soled shoes are killing me.post #31979 of 7073710/16/13 at 6:18pmpost #31980 of 7073710/16/13 at 6:23pm
I put in an MTO order for a pair of Bayfield yesterday.
I was basically going for a look similar to this: http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/06/06/alden-shoe-ultimate-jumper-boots-lsw-lsbh/
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 2 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 3 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 6 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 7 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Final Drop! NWT Polo Ralph Lauren Sport Coat in 40R Custom Fit:... 8 minutes ago
- › Advice on tuxedos 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...