Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:27 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2095post #31411 of 7073710/10/13 at 8:08ampost #31412 of 7073710/10/13 at 8:10amquote name="bucksfan" url="/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/31380#post_6649473"]Spent some time getting the infamous AE polish / cream / whatever off my new kenwoods.
Mid- way through:
Naked #8 goodness:
So what is that stuff and why do we really want to remove it? Doesn't it offer protection to the cordovan and add to the color?post #31413 of 7073710/10/13 at 8:24ampost #31414 of 7073710/10/13 at 8:36amQuote:
I just got mine. Physically they're perfect. Unfortunately the fit of the left is way off. Maybe that's the defect. Heel is hugely out of proportion. Tongue pads and insoles don't help, so even at 149, I have to send back. Too bad, they're gorgeouspost #31415 of 7073710/10/13 at 8:49amQuote:
Must avoid the progression... Must avoid the progression...
I have been subscribing to this thread since August. I recently stopped my subscription and vowed to stop buying shoes. However, I got the Rediscover America list of seconds and avoided a purchase, but then a few days later requested an updated list--it had the BB walnut Strands and I couldn't resist! Now I started my subscription to this thread again. Seeing all of the shell and made to order shoes makes me wonder how long until I start all of that!post #31416 of 7073710/10/13 at 8:49amQuote:
Why is the AE cordovan care cream "infamous"? I ask as I had some troubles of my own the other day, but I attributed them to the horrible AE pencil dauber shedding hairs constantly.post #31417 of 7073710/10/13 at 8:50amQuote:Originally Posted by Buddy0329
quote name="bucksfan" url="/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/31380#post_6649473"]Spent some time getting the infamous AE polish / cream / whatever off my new kenwoods.
Mid- way through: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
So what is that stuff and why do we really want to remove it? Doesn't it offer protection to the cordovan and add to the color?
It is either polish or cream that AE adds to its shell cordovan shoes, in order to make them look what they think is better. I personally like to see the actual shell, rather than covering it up with product. No real protection is gained, in fact there is some discussion about whether the shell cordovan is more likely to "welt" if it is covered in a polish. It really is just a preference though. Most on here prefer less product.
I typically only use a damp rag with a horsehair brush. I wipe them down, then brush off. The water makes the polish easier to remove. I keep at it until nothing is coming off on the rag. It usually takes about 30 mins per shoe. This pair of kenwoods was loaded, so I used Renovateur and a horsehair brush. Took me about 30 mins per shoe, and I still need to hit them again a little tonight. Some others have been known to use Renomat to strip it all off, but I personally didn't want to use something that harsh. I'd rather spend the time.Quote:
Yes, AE's burgundy shell cordovan cream does add color to the shoes, as does Saphir's version of the same.Quote:
That was my take also. Happy to see the "old" coloration peeking through.Quote:Originally Posted by WICaniac
Why is the AE cordovan care cream "infamous"? I ask as I had some troubles of my own the other day, but I attributed them to the horrible AE pencil dauber shedding hairs constantly.
I say "infamous" because a lot of people on this thread complain about the volume of stuff that AE puts on their new shell cordovan shoes, as difficult to remove and covering up the beauty of the shell.post #31418 of 7073710/10/13 at 9:11ampost #31419 of 7073710/10/13 at 9:11amQuote:
I bought a pair of the Saunders in chocolate suede. I like them a lot. If you want a pair, I'd suggest calling in right away. A lot of the BB and RL shoes are actually sold out from the last sale, but the inventory hasn't been completely updated yet. I learned that when I called last week. Unless you're an unusual size, there's a good chance that they won't actually have any, so check right away.post #31420 of 7073710/10/13 at 9:12ampost #31421 of 7073710/10/13 at 9:24ampost #31422 of 7073710/10/13 at 9:56ampost #31423 of 7073710/10/13 at 9:57ampost #31424 of 7073710/10/13 at 9:57ampost #31425 of 7073710/10/13 at 10:13amQuote:I hope I like them! I ordered 4 pair earlier. They look identical to my AE branded trees. I typically buy the Woodlore from Nordstrom Rack.
Edited by tifosi - 10/11/13 at 10:59am
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 25 seconds ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Corthay 10 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 11 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 11 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 12 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 14 minutes ago
- › Buying a new suit 15 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...