Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 9:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2064post #30946 of 7073710/4/13 at 2:43pmpost #30947 of 7073710/4/13 at 2:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by Subutai
Just received my pair of Long Branches in Waxy Brown leather! I'll spare the pics since this thread it littered with Long Branch pics. Gotta say, I love the way these feel. It's also incredible how light they are compared to my Shell Cordovan Dalton's.
For those long time owners, how are you caring for these? Saddle soap? Also, anyone try weather proofing them yet?
I used Saphir Renovateur to condition them during spring and summer wear, and just treated them with Obenauf's HD Leather Protectant. They darkened quite a bit, but I feel like they're ready for a Canadian winter.post #30948 of 7073710/4/13 at 2:59pmOoh!! I did it now.
I ordered the webgem brown cordovan Patriots last week.
Problem is today I had planned to order to a pair of matching Patriots in burgundy shell , moving my burgundy calf patriots into knock-around use only.
My AE retail sales associate had to do it.....I was tempted with the option of buying the brown cordovan Jefferson webgems today. I tried and I tried but I couldn't say no. I'm in trouble. Now I still have to figure out how to scrape up the funds to buy the burgundy shell Patriots like I was supposed too!!!!post #30949 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:00pm
Tifosi, I think you should win a prize (more shoes!) for the quality and sheer quantity of your recent acquisitions! It's been impressiveQuote:
This is great to know, thank you. Have you, by any chance, tested them yet? And has the Obenauf's altered the feel of the leather at all?post #30950 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:02pmpost #30951 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:07pmpost #30952 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:16pmQuote:
Well, I actually just made this choice, and went with burgundy shell. I think I may go with brown in calf though (liked what I saw yesterday in store of these). Also, this happens to be my first shell purchase (grabbed the 9.5D Patriot seconds in Burgundy this afternoon) so I'm super excited. I think that the depth of color you can develop with the burgundy shell over time will make them look phenomenal (that's not to say anything bad about the brown shell, I think I've just been meaning to fill a burgundy hole in my closet for some time).post #30953 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by mdavis534
I received my cappuccino strands MTO. Was so excited I went home instead of going to lunch to open the box. However was very underwhelmed when I tried them on. While they look great, the fit on the left shoe is off. Even after lacing there is a gap wide enough on both sides , to stick a finger in. Here is a pic of the left shoe. It looks like bowing.not acceptable for firsts. I'm quite disappointed.
Here is the right foot.
Also just notice the welt is dark brown, whereas I ordered it with Chili. smh. Today was a sad day......post #30954 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by losrockets
Well, I actually just made this choice, and went with burgundy shell. I think I may go with brown in calf though (liked what I saw yesterday in store of these). Also, this happens to be my first shell purchase (grabbed the 9.5D Patriot seconds in Burgundy this afternoon) so I'm super excited. I think that the depth of color you can develop with the burgundy shell over time will make them look phenomenal (that's not to say anything bad about the brown shell, I think I've just been meaning to fill a burgundy hole in my closet for some time).
Since we are talking Shell vs Calf in Burgundy and Brown, I thought I would mention my biggest frustration with the Allen Edmonds retail stores, which is their absolute lack of care of the display model shell cordovan shoes. Have you ever looked at them? They are scuffed up beyond belief and no one there seems to care about them at all. I have been to several 3-4 stores now including some of their larger stores and they all equally ignore their shell display models. Seriously, like 5 minutes of brushing every few weeks really will not kill them! I actually think that is why I don't like the AE shells as much as Alden's. Although I will say my AE Walnut Shell Strands are my favorite pair of shoes of all of time. If you go to a store, Alden treats their shoes like gold. Walk next door to an AE (almost quiet literally if you are in San Francisco) and their shells look like garbage (faded with no shine and scuffed to no end). I am just disappointed in their lack of care for their highest end shoes. Anyone else have this experience/impression?
-Mikepost #30955 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:37pmQuote:
I would say that your choice depends on the rest of your collection and your ability to stretch your budget. Burgundy shell is probably the most generic and dynamic of all shell colors, but if you have a lot of other burgundy colored shoes I would go with brown. Brown is an awesome color as well and is very flexible in terms of matching with outfits. Either way, you can't go wrong. I am a big shell fan, so I would endorse shell of course, but the calf patriots are a terrific pair of shoes.
-Mikepost #30956 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:39pmpost #30957 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:49pmpost #30958 of 7073710/4/13 at 3:50pmpost #30959 of 7073710/4/13 at 4:00pm
Ugh. Now I'm debating whether or not I should get the MacNeils in Burgundy cordovan over the Patriots. I have a pair of brown penny loafers (RL Innswood) and a pair of walnut longwings (RL Sandersons, though they're a bit big) and my dress ranges from jeans/khakis in class to wool/linen trousers when I'm in the hospital (I'm in my mid-20s and attend grad school in TX). Thoughts on which would be more versatile? I think they both look gorgeous. My big issue with the Sanderson longwings is that they feel a bit bulky on me but I think that may be a) they're a bit big and b) I'm not used to gunboats yet.post #30960 of 7073710/4/13 at 4:20pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › U.S. Life Expectancy Decreases for First Time in 23 Years, No One... 2 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 3 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 5 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 5 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 8 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 8 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL!!!! Foreigners Tell Others How To Run Their Country Thread 9 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 15 minutes ago
- › Jacket Fit, yay or nay? 21 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...