or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2038  

post #30556 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

I see how that was misread.  What I meant was that the Mora should never have been discontinued in the first place.  When they discontinued it and released the Neumora in it's place, they were "trying to fix something that wasn't broken."  The Neumora didn't sell as well, so they have gone back to the Mora, and called it Mora 2.0.  I still say they should have just stuck with the name Mora.  The 2.0 part makes it sound like some sort of computer program.

 

Sorry about the confusion.  AE describes the original Mora as being "ahead of its time," which seems to indicate that sales were laggard during its initial run.  A agree that they should drop the 2.0 from the current incalfation.


Edited by WICaniac - 10/1/13 at 9:55am
post #30557 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post

Sorry about the confusion.  AE describes the original Mora as being "ahead of its time," which seems to indicate that sales were laggard during its initial run.  A agree that they should drop the 2.0 from the current incalfnation.

Okay, now I wonder if the 2.0 is printed on the inside of the shoe...
post #30558 of 70737
Can anyone speak of the fit of the mora 2 vs. the 5 last I.E. strand etc?
post #30559 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk8mw View Post
 

I think what's being lost in this discussion is that we are in fact buying defective products deemed unfit for retail stores at a discount.  Shoes which are discontinued and defective are offered at deep discounts.  I don't see how offering such shoes at discounted rates reflects poorly on the brand.  I would think the proper metric is primarily quality and price of first quality shoes.  Unless you hit up the AE clearance rack or score some closeouts on 6pm.com or something similar, you generally can't find first quality shoes at deep discounted rates unless RDA is going on (unless I'm doing something wrong).

 

Of course, being the informed ones, we know that seconds blemishes are often trivial and are willing to give it a go.  The vast majority of people (especially those with the means and inclination to buy AE in the first place), however, would laugh at the thought of paying over $200 for defective shoes.  I still say we are the minority of AE buyer and we are (rightly) rewarded for our due diligence (monitoring sales and outlets across the country on a daily basis) and loyalty (see MTO discount for SF members).  AE knows what it's doing IMO.

 

I think we are mixing seconds sales and sales on firsts right now. I agree with the point made in that AE first qualities don't go on sale as often and RDA is one of the few occassions that everything is on sale along with Nordstrom sales. With the nordstrom sales, it's limited to the models they sell.

 

I buy seconds because the firsts are almost always $345 or else I'd just wait for the next sale. Also, other than a few select models, even with RDA, AE firsts that are $345 are $290, which is still a hefty price for most.

post #30560 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post
 

 

Sorry about the confusion.  AE describes the original Mora as being "ahead of its time," which seems to indicate that sales were laggard during its initial run.  A agree that they should drop the 2.0 from the current incalfation.

 

Interesting interpretation. I would have taken that to just be a tagline, but I'm not saying you are wrong.  Where do they say this by the way?

 

I based my opinion on the fact that AE released the Mora during the time when Double Monks were becoming very popular, along with all the other shoe manufacturers.  AE didn't invent the Double Monk, after all.  Complaints about it being discontinued were easy to find, and the reviews of the Neumora were often fraught with people lamenting the discontinued Mora.  Then, AE replaces the Neumora with it's original iteration, hence my assumption that it was more successful.

post #30561 of 70737
Does anyone know if AE employees work on commission? I got my first pair of AE (Rutledge in walnut) a couple weeks ago and now with the sale I want to pick up a second (Stands in black I think, maybe Mcallister). I was pleased with the guy helping me out and if they are going to be the same price whether I order them online or through the store I see no reason why not to help him earn a commission.

Second question; Strands or Mcallisters (in black)? hmmm....For use with suits.
post #30562 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post

Sorry about the confusion.  AE describes the original Mora as being "ahead of its time," which seems to indicate that sales were laggard during its initial run.  A agree that they should drop the 2.0 from the current incalfation.

I had a discussion with my SA which seemed to indicate this very thought. I mentioned that I had been looking for some Moras for sometime and that there seemed to be some demand for them. He stated this was a little funny because the Moras did not sell very well (at least to his knowledge), which is most likely why they were discontinued originally.
post #30563 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacktasticGDogg View Post

I think the "problem" with AE is that so many shoes go on close out so soon that you never really know which ones, other than the staples, end up in on clearance. I mean, there are some styles that were barely out for a few months before going on closeout. For example, I think the Spiaggias I got a for $118 last month were introduced maybe 6 months ago. Even the Neumora didn't get much of a run before being replaced by the Mora 2.0. I think the high model turnover is one of the reasons for a lot of AE's at lower prices. Not that I'm complaining.

 

AE has definitely tried to cater to a younger demographic by introducing a lot of newer models.  But one thing that I find strange is that they don't have a shortwing blucher.  I would think this is a staple classic, no?

post #30564 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by green garden View Post
 

 

AE has definitely tried to cater to a younger demographic by introducing a lot of newer models.  But one thing that I find strange is that they don't have a shortwing blucher.  I would think this is a staple classic, no?

 

They discontinued the Player's shoe which was a short wing blucher. Not sure why, it was a pretty slick looking shoe.

post #30565 of 70737

I have only purchased AE shoes at significant discounts or as seconds and still view them as a top quality brand.  Then again, I buy ALL of my products that way (e.g., electronics, etc.) - especially clothes - even though I can afford to pay full price.  I like knowing that I'm buying something that is of high quality, a great design, and I'm supporting the local economies of the state I grew up in.  I also like that I receive top-notch customer service from those I deal with at the Shoe Bank despite only purchasing shoes at a discount.  Regarding shoes going on clearance/closeout quickly, this often happens in industries where a new style is tested and may not do so well.  That's why I like that AE introduces styles which I don't like (e.g., crackle brown, dress shoes with white soles, etc.).  I know that somewhere out there they are buyers who do like them and it also shows that the company is willing to try something new/alternative.  I love my Amoks and Neumoks and those likely wouldn't have been designed or released if the company played things too conservatively.  In me they have earned a customer for life!

post #30566 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc121 View Post


I had a discussion with my SA which seemed to indicate this very thought. I mentioned that I had been looking for some Moras for sometime and that there seemed to be some demand for them. He stated this was a little funny because the Moras did not sell very well (at least to his knowledge), which is most likely why they were discontinued originally.

 

 

Though they don't always seem to discontinue shoes based solely on their sales.  They seem to have at least a little bit of the "take it away to increase the appetite and reintroduce it later" approach at times.  Sort of like Disney putting their classic movies in "The Vault" only to be released every decade or so.  Granted, some of this is conjecture, but every now and then, a shoe that seems to be quite popular will be eliminated.

 

Take the Sanford as an example.  When it was reintroduced after being discontinued, their webpage said the following:

 

 

"Believe it or not, once and a while even we make mistakes - like discontinuing this shoe after offering it for more than 15 years. But thanks to our loyal customers, who asked for its return more than any other shoe, we brought back this classic in 2010 and now it is more popular than ever. 
 
"The high demand is no doubt a result of combining its more versatile blucher style with the business-ready brogue detail and a dressed up cap-toe. Comfort also plays a big role in its success given that we designed this model to fit a little bit wider through the ball of the foot - meaning the Sanford ideally suits broader feet or ones with higher insteps or arches. 
 
And yet, less than 3 years later it is discontinued again. :paranoia:
post #30567 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

Interesting interpretation. I would have taken that to just be a tagline, but I'm not saying you are wrong.  Where do they say this by the way?

 

I don't recall, but the accompanying image showed a pair in white (and perhaps other colors--but only the white double-monk emblazoned itself on my memory).

post #30568 of 70737

In response to the posts on Allen edmonds value a page or two back:

 

I just purchased 2 pairs of seconds and a pair of firsts. On one of the pair of cordovan seconds(Strands), there is an excess of material in the stitching of the cap. So the cap looks like it has an extra 2mm to 3mm of material that slightly flares upwards. I was hoping to receive a shoe with a scuff or two, but I received this. Although you will definitely notice it if your face is two or three feet away AND you are actively searching for imperfections, it is harder to see from normal view (standing upright). Once I wear the shoe a couple times, the creases in the cordovan will mask it anyways. I say for half the price of firsts, they are worth it AT THE MOMENT  because I am a grad student.  HOWEVER, once I graduate and start making some money, I would much rather pay full price for firsts and not have these little quirks. I still see the shoe as being a $345 shoe and will be purchasing firsts in the future.

post #30569 of 70737

Can anyone give some advice on the Dundee fit vs. the 5 last? There may be a seconds for me depending on the answer, thanks for any help. 

post #30570 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post
 

 

I don't recall, but the accompanying image showed a pair in white (and perhaps other colors--but only the white double-monk emblazoned itself on my memory).

 

 

Perhaps it was the color they were referring to! :uhoh:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...