Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 9:36 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1975post #29611 of 707379/20/13 at 3:44pmpost #29612 of 707379/20/13 at 3:47pm
I was just browsing on ebay for some shoes... came across these gems- the Marlows. I never knew that AE made an austerity brogue! It is the style i am coveting most right now. If they ever brought it back, I would definitely jump on it!post #29613 of 707379/20/13 at 3:51pmQuote:
I hadn't heard of this Seconds sale before but have found it impossible to work. I got the list several times and each time called for style soon after (in an hour) obtaining the list and they had nothing. I am not sure how their inventory management works - greats Customer Service though.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Freepost #29614 of 707379/20/13 at 3:59pmpost #29615 of 707379/20/13 at 4:14pmpost #29616 of 707379/20/13 at 4:23pmpost #29617 of 707379/20/13 at 4:42pmpost #29618 of 707379/20/13 at 4:53pmpost #29619 of 707379/20/13 at 4:56pmpost #29620 of 707379/20/13 at 5:10pmpost #29621 of 707379/20/13 at 5:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by ryanstoQuote:Originally Posted by masernaut
I gotta be honest, it doesn't look so bad on the 3-last. But I'm not digging that the eyelets are limited to three. 4-5 eyelets would have been a better call, imo.
Also, it would seem that the shoes are too narrow for your foot. The laces shouldn't come apart that widely.
I agree that a 4 eyelet would work better, and as long as the shoe creases properly, I'll be fine. I have the Neumora, and get some double creasing due to the elongated 333 last.
The spread is just under an inch at the top of the "V", which I've found to be acceptable. If the shoe were too narrow, the topline of the shoe would gap around the throat from the pressure pushing the throat outwards. Basically, the spread isn't the only indicator. Also, as I'm sure you know, the upper is going to stretch quite a bit, allowing the eyestays to move closer together. When I first bought my Jeffersons, the spread was about 3/4". It has now stretched to the point that the spread only measures about 1/4".
UPDATE: Interestingly enough, where most balmorals are lasted with the eyestay touching (if you've ever seen a pair being made, they use a plastic tie to keep the eyestays together while lasting), it seems that the Hanover is lasted with a natural "V".
If you lace them the European method, the gap will be smaller.post #29622 of 707379/20/13 at 5:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by ryanstoQuote:Originally Posted by jungleroller
Speaking of 3 eyelets. I've been eyeing the Kenilworth Derbs. I've read about their bowing problems which is kinda keeping me from pulling the trigger but I do like their simplicity. Any of you guys have experience with these?
Or maybe in bourbon...
I know the Kenilworth runs slightly larger than other 5 lasted shoes. I haven't heard of any bowing issues, myself. I would think that, being a blucher, there would be less bowing. After all, most of the time bowing is caused by the speading at the throat of a balmoral, because the bottom portion of the eyestays is fixed, and cannot adjust to accomodate the volume at the top, or it is caused by the lack of an arch/instep, causing downward pressure on the upper at the inside of the foot.
Bottom line: I wouldn't expect any excessive bowing from the Kenilworth.
I have a pair, like its simplicity and elegance, and recommend it.post #29623 of 707379/20/13 at 5:24pmpost #29624 of 707379/20/13 at 6:18pmpost #29625 of 707379/20/13 at 6:22pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Currently, there are 1776 Active Users (342 Members and 1434 Guests)
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 6 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 8 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...