Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1815  

post #27211 of 70737
In honor of RTP's recent acquisition...



post #27212 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post

Here is the number for the lady handling the styleforum MTO program

You want to talk to Allison. She has been incredible, best customer service I have experienced in a long time.
800-235-2348 Ext: 6428

 

+1.  Allison is fantastic.

post #27213 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

My balmorals fit the same way. A wider size feels too loose. I've just accepted that I have a slightly high instep. I think it's a pretty common "issue" especially with the 5-65 last (it's a bit more narrow and elongated). I'd have to shop multiple lasts/brands or get them made bespoke if I wanted them to fit perfectly. Oh well. 

 

Same here:  Also, it is worth mentioning that as a shoe breaks in, the gap will close to a greater extent.
 

 

700

 

700

post #27214 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Is this not pretty much everyone else's experience?  Just curious. 

 

I remember using the Brannock device at Foot Locker when I was in high school. I'm not sure what size it said I should have been, but when I tried them on they felt too tight to me. So I went up a full size or two and they felt better. In my adolescent head, thinking all shoes of the same size fit the same, that became my size.

 

About 2 years ago I was "professionally fitted" for a pair of running shoes. The SA (college student) measured me on the Brannock and asked me what my typical size was. I told her I typically wear a 10/10.5. I know that on the Brannock I measure an 8.5/9, but she totally disregarded this information and brought out 4 pair of 10.5s. I commented that the one I liked best didn't fit perfectly. Did she bring out a smaller size? No! She just sold me one of her special inserts to go in the shoe and make it all better. Gosh...I was gullible.

 

It was only after becoming interested in quality footwear that I bothered to be measured on a Brannock device again. I was floored that after wearing a 10.5 (the American White Man's Avg foot size) my whole life, that I was really an 8.5 (and thus, below avg butbut.gif).

 

Moral of the story is at most stores the SAs are trying to move product. Same thing happens at department stores when trying on suits/sportcoats. I have a few 42R sportcoats from my student days that I was told fit perfectly. Now that I know more about proper fit, they look ridiculous to me. I wear a 38S.

post #27215 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

When I see shoes looking like this:


...it's starting to bug me that my balmorals look like this when laced:


I don't think I have a wide foot (at the ball), but I guess my instep is a bit high. What do you guys recommend? These are 8D on the 5 last. Maybe down .5 and up a width or two?? I know shoes aren't going to look the same on as they do on the shoe trees, but I believe I could get them to lace up a bit closer. Thanks all.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

Those look fine honestly. It's better than the eyelets nearly touching! If you start changing sizes you can run into heel slip, etc...
 

Just don't look down! biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I'd imagine I'd feel the same way about a wider size. These fit perfectly in all other aspects.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

I think the gap looks more pronounced with the straight bar lacing, but that could just be me.
 

 

I agree with tampatravel.  I think your fit looks just fine.  I think the bar lacing is pronouncing the gap, and you may be better off using traditional lacing.  Think of it in the same manner as patterns in clothing.  People who want to look slimming aren't supposed to wear horizontal stripes because it creates an optical illusion of greater width.  Don't drink the kool-aid and think that you have to have bar lacing just because they are balmorals.  That's not a rule, it's a guideline.  I like and use bar lacing when the gap is much closer, but on wider gaps I think it can start to look bad.  

post #27216 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

 

I remember using the Brannock device at Foot Locker when I was in high school. I'm not sure what size it said I should have been, but when I tried them on they felt too tight to me. So I went up a full size or two and they felt better. In my adolescent head, thinking all shoes of the same size fit the same, that became my size.

 

About 2 years ago I was "professionally fitted" for a pair of running shoes. The SA (college student) measured me on the Brannock and asked me what my typical size was. I told her I typically wear a 10/10.5. I know that on the Brannock I measure an 8.5/9, but she totally disregarded this information and brought out 4 pair of 10.5s. I commented that the one I liked best didn't fit perfectly. Did she bring out a smaller size? No! She just sold me one of her special inserts to go in the shoe and make it all better. Gosh...I was gullible.

 

It was only after becoming interested in quality footwear that I bothered to be measured on a Brannock device again. I was floored that after wearing a 10.5 (the American White Man's Avg foot size) my whole life, that I was really an 8.5 (and thus, below avg butbut.gif).

 

Moral of the story is at most stores the SAs are trying to move product. Same thing happens at department stores when trying on suits/sportcoats. I have a few 42R sportcoats from my student days that I was told fit perfectly. Now that I know more about proper fit, they look ridiculous to me. I wear a 38S.

 

I have had similar experiences.  Doing your own research and being educated before you go to the store to make purchases is almost always the best course to take, as I've learned as well.  

post #27217 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

 

Same here:  Also, it is worth mentioning that as a shoe breaks in, the gap will close to a greater extent.
 

 

700

 

700

 

All great looking shoes!

post #27218 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

 

 

 

I agree with tampatravel.  I think your fit looks just fine.  I think the bar lacing is pronouncing the gap, and you may be better off using traditional lacing.  Think of it in the same manner as patterns in clothing.  People who want to look slimming aren't supposed to wear horizontal stripes because it creates an optical illusion of greater width.  Don't drink the kool-aid and think that you have to have bar lacing just because they are balmorals.  That's not a rule, it's a guideline.  I like and use bar lacing when the gap is much closer, but on wider gaps I think it can start to look bad.  

I had them laced traditionally and I figured I'd give the straight bar a try. I think it looks worse on the grey McTavish because of the stark contrast between the color of the shoe and the laces. I'll throw the Cambridge on tonight when I get home and take a look. I did notice that I can't tie the shoes as tightly with the straight lacing, thus making the gap even larger. I'll just see what works the best. I do like the way the straight lacing looks though.

post #27219 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

 

Same here:  Also, it is worth mentioning that as a shoe breaks in, the gap will close to a greater extent.
 

 

700

 

700

If I could get to that point with a gap like you have there I'd be happy. More excuse to wear my Cambridge!

post #27220 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I had them laced traditionally and I figured I'd give the straight bar a try. I think it looks worse on the grey McTavish because of the stark contrast between the color of the shoe and the laces. I'll throw the Cambridge on tonight when I get home and take a look. I did notice that I can't tie the shoes as tightly with the straight lacing, thus making the gap even larger. I'll just see what works the best. I do like the way the straight lacing looks though.

 

That's really all I meant.  I take it on a case by case basis.  I definitely bar lace my balmorals as long as they are suited for it.  

post #27221 of 70737

Quote:

Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Saw some cappuccino shell (at least what the salesperson told me it was) for the first time in person yesterday. I can't wait to get some shoes on order!
 

 

Those are some beautiful shoes!

post #27222 of 70737

Hey Gentlemen,

 

I just bought a pair of Dornochs to use while I travel to London this week. I will be using them as my primary walking shoes during the day. Any ideas on what looks good paired with these shoes? Dark Denim? Light Denim? Colored trousers? 

 

Gracias in advance.

post #27223 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagon View Post
 

I could not agree more. I'm glad they weren't my size or I would have walked out with them.

post #27224 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

Hey Gentlemen,

I just bought a pair of Dornochs to use while I travel to London this week. I will be using them as my primary walking shoes during the day. Any ideas on what looks good paired with these shoes? Dark Denim? Light Denim? Colored trousers? 

Gracias in advance.

What color are your Dornochs? If they are the tan ones, I' go with dark denim or pants with some olive in it (light or dark) or maybe brown pants (lately I've been wearing my darker tan colored shoes with brown pants a lot). If they are the brown ones, you could probably wear them with just about anything.

BTW, will you be checking out shoes from the English makers during your trip?
post #27225 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

All, thanks for posting the pics comparing the browns against the cappuccino shells... I think that I have a decent idea now... The cappuccino reminds me of the brown used by Crockett and Jones on their Marlows for Ralph Lauren, which is a lovely sample of Shell Cordovan.

-Mike

+1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...