or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1706  

post #25576 of 70737

The gap on my new Strands and McAllisters is more prominent than on my broken in Park Avenues, so I'm assuming once you break the shoes it will close a little bit, especially when you break in the insole.  

post #25577 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

I'm not really sure if they didn't have an E. I went to the Rockefeller store in nyc and they seemed to have sufficient stock at that time. I also wouldn't say the SA was lazy, because I must have tried on several pairs in different colors and models and the SA was consistently gracious and chatty.

I do now regret not having tried an E while I was there. I guess I just went along with what the SA recommended. Plus, I've always worn a D, so I didn't think it odd at that time.

Looking at the pictures, would you say I would still be okay (be better) with an E?

I can say no one can really tell by looking at photos, from my experience, a wider fitting doesn't help with the gap much. However, if the D fitting is just snug, as in any narrower while be uncomfortable, an E fitting won't be bad, any any reduction in that gap would be good.

I wear Loake UK F and G fittings, and F is just right, so I don't mind the extra room in G.
post #25578 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefleX View Post

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to use this cobbler anymore. I might be picky and I really don't know whether or not the previous shoe stretching causes this or just the way I walk. I guess it's not even that big of a deal. 

My one pinky toe is a bit crooked because I had a few dirtbike spills and broke it more than once. I need a little bit of room on the side because its a little curled and rubs the shoe. 

It looks like a thumb print crease that's only really noticeable when direct bright light hits it. The issue is I'll need my McAllisters and Strands stretched a little too. Does it look normal and I'm just being crazy?

 

 

 

Poorly fitting shoes (shoes that need to be stretched) will often have prominent creasing patterns.  I know from experience.

post #25579 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

Poorly fitting shoes (shoes that need to be stretched) will often have prominent creasing patterns.  I know from experience.

 

Well the issue is that it's only my one toe that causes an issue, so I don't want to go to a bigger size because of one problem area. Does that make sense? The other shoe just has normal crease marks. 

post #25580 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by masernaut View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

Which would be considered more casual, black Sanford or black Strand? Blucher vs. Balmoral?

Balmorals are always more formal than bluchers. Black is the most formal of colours fyi

+1
post #25581 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHD28 View Post

How is the quality of those JOSABANK shoe trees compared to the official AE ones?

Ordered the Merlot McAllisters from Shoebank this morning and they're arriving tomorrow... This is the 3rd AE pair for me in 2 months.

The Grown-Up Shoe Game is worse than crack. Before AE I was a recovering Sneaker addict.

Good work, enjoy your shoes. Most shoe trees are similar, provides they are cedar and right size, and they do look very similar to AE ones. Could be made from woodlore and rebranded.
post #25582 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefleX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Poorly fitting shoes (shoes that need to be stretched) will often have prominent creasing patterns.  I know from experience.

Well the issue is that it's only my one toe that causes an issue, so I don't want to go to a bigger size because of one problem area. Does that make sense? The other shoe just has normal crease marks. 

To be honest, those creases are not that bad.
post #25583 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian43 View Post

 

Ordered the Merlot McAllisters from Shoebank this morning and they're arriving tomorrow... This is the 3rd AE pair for me in 2 months.




Tell me about it, bought my first pair of AE's 3 months ago and now I have 12 pair. Shhh what my wife doesn't know won't hurt



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

wow.....even for SF standards...wow

WOW indeed with capitals.
post #25584 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

This is a trick question right? The answer is that it doesn't matter, because you should not be buying either of those shoes in black.

Sigh.

Haven't we moved beyond this?

He can do as he pleases. And we certainly don't know what his wardrobe requirements are...
post #25585 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Sigh.

Haven't we moved beyond this?

He can do as he pleases. And we certainly don't know what his wardrobe requirements are...

 

He is right though, I shouldn't be buying either pair. Ever since I saw that black was the most formal color, I have stayed away from my black cap toes unless its a very formal occasion. The only reason I was asking is because ebay has a great deal on a pair of black sanfords in my size and was very tempted on buying them.

thanks for all the help!

post #25586 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


To be honest, those creases are not that bad.


Yea and that is with a flash on too. Without a direct beam of light they look good. 

post #25587 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Sigh.

Haven't we moved beyond this?

He can do as he pleases. And we certainly don't know what his wardrobe requirements are...

 

Sigh.  MSulinski is asking a good question to avoid a wasted purchase due to the tendency of new posters to think they need to wear black shoes when other colors may be more appropriate.  Maybe OP would regret the purchase of a black casual shoe in a few months.  Maybe not.  Either way, giving it a little thought before making the purchase is a good idea. 

post #25588 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefleX View Post

 

Well the issue is that it's only my one toe that causes an issue, so I don't want to go to a bigger size because of one problem area. Does that make sense? The other shoe just has normal crease marks. 

 

I understand completely.  My left foot is slightly wider than my right foot.  It's not noticeable in a pair of well fitted shoes, but very noticeable when I try to squeeze into something a little too narrow (ahem . . AE 8 last and C&J).  The end result is a left shoe with triple creases or a wide crease and a right shoe with a normal crease.  For what it's worth, I wear those two shoes less and less and have been drifting more to the brands and lasts that fit me better.  I have also come to realize that shell is much more comfortable due to the way it moulds to my foot and does not put pressure on the wide part of my foot.  You may want to hold off on your next purchase for awhile to see if your feelings about the 5 last and calfskin change with time.

post #25589 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Sigh.

Haven't we moved beyond this?

He can do as he pleases. And we certainly don't know what his wardrobe requirements are...
I can't think of many wardrobe requirements that involve a black derby or a black Oxford that has heavy brogueing.

This struck me as a beginner question, so I figured there is a good chance the poster may not have considered that a black casual shoe doesn't make a lot of sense for most people. If he is from London and looking for variety in his black shoes, then my apologies.
post #25590 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

I understand completely.  My left foot is slightly wider than my right foot.  It's not noticeable in a pair of well fitted shoes, but very noticeable when I try to squeeze into something a little too narrow (ahem . . AE 8 last and C&J).  The end result is a left shoe with triple creases or a wide crease and a right shoe with a normal crease.  For what it's worth, I wear those two shoes less and less and have been drifting more to the brands and lasts that fit me better.  I have also come to realize that shell is much more comfortable due to the way it moulds to my foot and does not put pressure on the wide part of my foot.  You may want to hold off on your next purchase for awhile to see if your feelings about the 5 last and calfskin change with time.


Well, I just got Strands and McAllisters of the same last. Because they are lighter, it will probably be less noticeable. The Park Avenues after break in for me are very comfortable though so I don't really mind. It's really not as prominent as it is in the picture due to flash. Sooner or later I would like to upgrade to shell for PA's but for now I'm content. I just wanted to make sure the Cobbler wasn't destroying the leather. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...