or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 166  

post #2476 of 70737

Several Allen Edmonds shoes are on sale at Amazon (20 to 50+ percent off ) plus additional 20% off at check out.

post #2477 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASK88 View Post

So I have done a bit of searching and reading through this thread but I still have a question about the PA #5 last fit. I tried on a pair of Park Avenues the other day in anticipation of the Feb 7 sale and sized down on length to a 9.5D for a pretty decent feeling fit. I measured in at 10D on the store's shoe sizer. BUT while the right shoe felt perfectly fine, my left foot felt a tad bit squeezed in the toe box. I usually wear a medium/average width but lack experience on sizing a nicer shoe like this. I was told they appeared to fit as they should and I may not be used to the stiffer feel of the shoe. Understanding this is entirely subjective, could anyone tell me if I should really try an E and possibly adjust upward in width? I've read here and in other threads that most people usually size down one length and size up one width. Feeling the exterior of the left shoe, I had a little bit of space on my left foot so while it felt a little awkward it did not appear to be squeezed? 



Funny, I've been going three rounds with the PAs myself.  The AE fit guide (download the PDF from their website) puts me at an 11C.  The best fit so far is in a 10.5D.  My first four toes have some wiggle room.  The little toe is captured and gets compressed when walking.  This is my first pair of AEs, and I don't know how the fit will change after break in.  I expect the leather to stretch and soften slightly.  I also expect the cork midsole to adjust to the contour of my foot.  I'm in wait and see mode.

 

Print the AE fit guide as a starting point.  If the shoes are returnable, order two or three sizes.  Keep the best fit and return the others.  That or get cozy at your local retailer and spend some more time in the shoes.  Walk around a little, but also try standing still (straight up without leaning on anything).  Shift your weight to one foot for a minute or two and then the other.  See how it feels then.

post #2478 of 70737

Here's a question for you folks.  I need wide width shoes.  A lot of wide width shoes look awfully chunky and often ugly.

 

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Fairfax (see avatar) that are regular width that I squeezed into and stretched out just a tiny bit, which I can now wear pretty comfortably for a full day, believe it or not.

 

That being said, I want a pair of Park Avenues in black, and I figure I should probably just buy a pair that fits from the start.

 

In your experience, do wide width Allen Edmonds shoes look too fat and ugly, or do they look just as good as the regular width shoes?

post #2479 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by byan107 View Post

Several Allen Edmonds shoes are on sale at Amazon (20 to 50+ percent off ) plus additional 20% off at check out.

Which ones?
post #2480 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post

Here's a question for you folks.  I need wide width shoes.  A lot of wide width shoes look awfully chunky and often ugly.

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Fairfax (see avatar) that are regular width that I squeezed into and stretched out just a tiny bit, which I can now wear pretty comfortably for a full day, believe it or not.

That being said, I want a pair of Park Avenues in black, and I figure I should probably just buy a pair that fits from the start.

In your experience, do wide width Allen Edmonds shoes look too fat and ugly, or do they look just as good as the regular width shoes?

Well, taste is pretty subjective, a lot of people don't like the way AE's look. That being said, if you like the AE styling, going wide will have a minimal effect on the shoe. I personally wear 10.5 EEE and the shoes look fine in comparison to D width.
post #2481 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


Well, taste is pretty subjective, a lot of people don't like the way AE's look. That being said, if you like the AE styling, going wide will have a minimal effect on the shoe. I personally wear 10.5 EEE and the shoes look fine in comparison to D width.


Thank you, sir.  I love many of the Allen Edmonds styles, and coincidentally, I am dealing with 10.5 D vs. 10.5 EEE, so you basically answered every question I could possibly have.

 

Thanks again!

post #2482 of 70737
Look for my review of the Katmai on AE's site soon. It's pretty bad.
post #2483 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post

Look for my review of the Katmai on AE's site soon. It's pretty bad.

Is it worse than the reviews of the Amok? Those were pretty bad...
post #2484 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Is it worse than the reviews of the Amok? Those were pretty bad...
Yes, worse.

Pics included
post #2485 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


Well, taste is pretty subjective, a lot of people don't like the way AE's look. That being said, if you like the AE styling, going wide will have a minimal effect on the shoe. I personally wear 10.5 EEE and the shoes look fine in comparison to D width.


 

Agreed.  I don't see the wider shoes being chunky or ugly.  My associate wears a 12 EEE, and it looks fine.  However, increasing the width also increases the girth.  I tried a 10EEE, and even with the laces pulled in I had lots of extra room.  They didn't have a 10.5E in stock.  For comparison, the AE rep stated that going from a 10.5D to a 10.5E would result in about 1/4" increase in girth including extra space in the heel.

post #2486 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


Well, taste is pretty subjective, a lot of people don't like the way AE's look. That being said, if you like the AE styling, going wide will have a minimal effect on the shoe. I personally wear 10.5 EEE and the shoes look fine in comparison to D width.


 

Agreed.  I don't see the wider shoes being chunky or ugly.  My associate wears a 12 EEE, and it looks fine.  However, increasing the width also increases the girth.  I tried a 10EEE, and even with the laces pulled in I had lots of extra room.  They didn't have a 10.5E in stock.  For comparison, the AE rep stated that going from a 10.5D to a 10.5E would result in about 1/4" increase in girth including extra space in the heel.

post #2487 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post


 

Agreed.  I don't see the wider shoes being chunky or ugly.  My associate wears a 12 EEE, and it looks fine.  However, increasing the width also increases the girth.  I tried a 10EEE, and even with the laces pulled in I had lots of extra room.  They didn't have a 10.5E in stock.  For comparison, the AE rep stated that going from a 10.5D to a 10.5E would result in about 1/4" increase in girth including extra space in the heel.


 

Good to know.  Thank you.

post #2488 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post



 
Agreed.  I don't see the wider shoes being chunky or ugly.  My associate wears a 12 EEE, and it looks fine.  However, increasing the width also increases the girth.  I tried a 10EEE, and even with the laces pulled in I had lots of extra room.  They didn't have a 10.5E in stock.  For comparison, the AE rep stated that going from a 10.5D to a 10.5E would result in about 1/4" increase in girth including extra space in the heel.
Can the heel space be reduced with a heel cup or heel cushion?
post #2489 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv2177 View Post

Yes it is taken straight from the top and it's kinda obvious once you pay a little attention to it you see the front of the toe is different.

Now I see it. I agree, I'd be considering a return as well. However, it took you pointing it out for me to notice it so there is virtually no chance that anyone else would notice the imperfection. But if it bothers you, you might as well return to avoid the irritation every time you wear them. Unless...as stated earlier they fit impeccably well. In that case, I'd likely still keep 'em. That's too bad as they were a fantastic price, are somewhat unique and not a shoe that AE normally has significant stock on hand. I'm waiting for the next nordstrom sale to give them a shot. I like the walnut so much.
post #2490 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Now I see it. I agree, I'd be considering a return as well. However, it took you pointing it out for me to notice it so there is virtually no chance that anyone else would notice the imperfection. But if it bothers you, you might as well return to avoid the irritation every time you wear them. Unless...as stated earlier they fit impeccably well. In that case, I'd likely still keep 'em. That's too bad as they were a fantastic price, are somewhat unique and not a shoe that AE normally has significant stock on hand. I'm waiting for the next nordstrom sale to give them a shot. I like the walnut so much.

ya i m debating myself because it kinda irritates me when I see them. but the price is great. the fit is pretty awesome on the snuggy side but it fits good.

the players with walnut is just great. but again, if this will be $200 again during the Nordy sale, then I guess I am welling to pay another $50 to get it as 1st quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...