or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1648  

post #24706 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

I keep reading the McTavish generally requires sizing down by half a size compared to other 5 last shoes. The store with them on sale only has my usual 5 last size, so I'm out of luck with that shoe (In Canada so can't try on in store). The wait for another sale begins!

 

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that!

post #24707 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvisa2002 View Post


I totally agree with this. All I wanted was a pair of black cap-toe for interview about 9 months ago. Now I own 4 pairs of AEs. This forum is addictive, I may need an intervention sneaky2.gif.

 

same here, got my park avenues about a month ago.  awaiting response from allen edmonds on price match, otherwise i'll pray that by the time nordstrom opens the gates to us commonfolk, there will be shoes left for me to buy.

post #24708 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by red81 View Post

 

same here, got my park avenues about a month ago.  awaiting response from allen edmonds on price match, otherwise i'll pray that by the time nordstrom opens the gates to us commonfolk, there will be shoes left for me to buy.

 

Will Nordstrom only honor the sale price for in-stock items? They won't give you the sale price if they have to order your size? I understand they only stock D widths. Maybe I misunderstood the past few posts.

post #24709 of 70737
New burgundy/merlot Ashland, via eBay. Very pleased for what I paid! (first pic flash, second pic no flash - sorry for crappy images)

J

post #24710 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminimjer View Post

I'll have to give them a call. Tried emailing customer service and was turned down. 

 

just emailed two stores nearby , got a yes on both of them, they even said they'd ship out and hold the shoes for me.

 

so tempted to ditch work to drive over there now....must resist....

post #24711 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminimjer View Post

So what are the odds that there are any decent picks left when the sale hits the common folk without a Nordstrom card? Hoping to get a pair of Strands.

 

My guess is that the Strands will still be in stock. This is not a limited or discontinued item. Last year I noticed that some sizes did show out of stock during the sale, but it was just temporary and a day later is was back in stock at the sale price. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAdam View Post

 

Will Nordstrom only honor the sale price for in-stock items? They won't give you the sale price if they have to order your size? I understand they only stock D widths. Maybe I misunderstood the past few posts.

You should be able to order any size that they have listed on their website (which I think is all sizes made by AE). This sale is available on-line too. At my local Nordstroms, they rarely have the exact pair of shoes I'm looking for, and they order it. Sometimes it comes from another Nordstrom's store, and sometimes directly from AE. Sometimes I just order from the website myself, especially if I know exactly what I want.

post #24712 of 70737

i don't see why they wouldn't order them in any width you'd like for the price.  nordstrom and allen edmonds have great customer service, i'm sure they'd accomodate within reason.

post #24713 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminimjer View Post

I'll have to give them a call. Tried emailing customer service and was turned down. 

 

Well, that's what you get for going through official channels at company headquarters. smile.gif  I don't think the company "officially" price matches the Nordstrom sale.  Perhaps because they don't want to be seen as siphoning off traffic to Nordstrom's store or site, one of AE's largest retailers.

 

However, "unofficially" some AE retailers have matched prices, certainly in cases where the customer asks for the same color as Nordstrom is featuring.  I got my walnut Strands that way last year.  Either way, if you are getting anything other than a D width, your order will be drop shipped from Wisconsin.  Plus, if you live in a state that has a Nordstrom's but not an AE brick and mortar store, the "match" actually nets out as being cheaper since you pay no sales tax or shipping.  My "match" therefore was actually about $20 cheaper last year.

post #24714 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

Just that you shouldn't polish it or you'll likely stain your pants (I asked a long time ago and was warned not to). I think any leather conditioner/cleaner should be enough. So AE Conditioner/Cleaner or Saphir Renovateur to clean, or just AE Leather Lotion.

 

What belt seconds did you get and for how much? I've never tried.

I got the wide dress in merlot and the Manistee in black.  They were $39 each as seconds during the tent sale. 

post #24715 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

Just that you shouldn't polish it or you'll likely stain your pants (I asked a long time ago and was warned not to). I think any leather conditioner/cleaner should be enough. So AE Conditioner/Cleaner or Saphir Renovateur to clean, or just AE Leather Lotion.

 

What belt seconds did you get and for how much? I've never tried.

I got the wide dress in merlot and the Manistee in black.  They were $39 each as seconds during the tent sale. 

post #24716 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

 

Here we go again. I got my third round of Merlot McAllister firsts, and am still seeing problems. As before, they have the same obvious ridges, and the pinking/stitching is a little wonky again:

 

 

Additionally, the back left panel on the right shoe looks quite different, as if it's a darker, rougher leather that isn't able to sit correctly:

 

 

 

And finally, and I think worst of all, the inside leather of the left shoe is wavy in such a way that they bow out off of my foot:

 

 

 

 

I'm pretty discouraged. Should I just give up trying to get a pair of firsts that I'm comfortable width? Which of these problems would y'all find unreasonable? Is this toe cap ridge here to stay?

 

Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

Unless you paid (near) full retail, I'd recommend letting it go or not buying that shoe anymore. No mass-produced, item with that much detail is going to be perfect...ESPECIALLY if it's leather.

post #24717 of 70737

Do they fit well?  Are they comfortable?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

 

Here we go again. I got my third round of Merlot McAllister firsts, and am still seeing problems. As before, they have the same obvious ridges, and the pinking/stitching is a little wonky again:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

Additionally, the back left panel on the right shoe looks quite different, as if it's a darker, rougher leather that isn't able to sit correctly:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

And finally, and I think worst of all, the inside leather of the left shoe is wavy in such a way that they bow out off of my foot:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm pretty discouraged. Should I just give up trying to get a pair of firsts that I'm comfortable width? Which of these problems would y'all find unreasonable? Is this toe cap ridge here to stay?

 

Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

post #24718 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmann View Post

 

My guess is that the Strands will still be in stock. This is not a limited or discontinued item. Last year I noticed that some sizes did show out of stock during the sale, but it was just temporary and a day later is was back in stock at the sale price. 

 

You should be able to order any size that they have listed on their website (which I think is all sizes made by AE). This sale is available on-line too. At my local Nordstroms, they rarely have the exact pair of shoes I'm looking for, and they order it. Sometimes it comes from another Nordstrom's store, and sometimes directly from AE. Sometimes I just order from the website myself, especially if I know exactly what I want.

 

This.  Nordstrom does this sale every year.  Both Nordstrom and AE can estimate the volume of shoes that will be sold and adequately prepare.  There will be Strands and Park Avenues for you to buy when the sale opens to the public.  So, for all of you freaking out about this, come down off the ledge and put away the sleeping bag and other gear you were planning to use to camp out in front of Nordstrom.

post #24719 of 70737

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this... I recently picked up a pair of AE Strands in walnut. They are some magnificent shoes, but when I was lacing them up, I noticed some darkening in the leather flap that covers the metal eyelets. The darkening is right over the eyelets, almost like the metal caused it.  Is that normal and just a property of the leather that it's contact or pressure on another surface would cause discoloration? Or should I send them back?

 

Thanks in advance for any info!

 

-Scott

post #24720 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmann View Post

 

My guess is that the Strands will still be in stock. This is not a limited or discontinued item. Last year I noticed that some sizes did show out of stock during the sale, but it was just temporary and a day later is was back in stock at the sale price. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

This.  Nordstrom does this sale every year.  Both Nordstrom and AE can estimate the volume of shoes that will be sold and adequately prepare.  There will be Strands and Park Avenues for you to buy when the sale opens to the public.  So, for all of you freaking out about this, come down off the ledge and put away the sleeping bag and other gear you were planning to use to camp out in front of Nordstrom.

 

That's good advice New Shoes. For those eagerly awaiting July 19, you could just a Nordstrom's card and then buy them today. The debit card is free, and as a bonus you get $100 of tailoring each year (more if your purchase a lot), and some cash coupons based on how much you spend. And of course early access to these types of sales. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...