or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1621  

post #24301 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Those are beautiful boat shoes bucksfan, congrats! Close enough to being AE's Michael and Kyle purchased the company back from AE a couple of years ago so in reality that is still an AE stamp ;-)

I remembered there was a tie-in, but couldn't remember the specifics. Thanks Cold Iron.
post #24302 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

Hoping you all can help me. I am looking to pick up my first pair of shell cordovans. My issue is I am torn between many options. I plan on using these as a three season casual shoe so am considering the Daltons, the Leeds, and the MacNeils in burgundy cordovan. 

 

I am also considering Alden's lineup mostly because I like their finishing better than AE's for cordovan. Cold Iron and others have shared some great shots of AE cordovan but I just don't know if I want to put in all the leg work. I spent many years in the army getting mirror shines on my boots, but when spending $700 on a pair of shoes I kind of want them to pop right out of the box.

 

That said, I am partial to AE's styles (with the exception of the MacNeils which I find a bit pointy). See how confused I am?! Any help??

 

Not sure if this is any consolation, your first pair of shell shoes are rarely ever your last.  

post #24303 of 70737

Gentlemen, I need some sizing assistance. I wear 7.5E in Strand & McAllister and was wondering how well a 7.5D in the Byron would fit?

post #24304 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

Hoping you all can help me. I am looking to pick up my first pair of shell cordovans. My issue is I am torn between many options. I plan on using these as a three season casual shoe so am considering the Daltons, the Leeds, and the MacNeils in burgundy cordovan. 

I am also considering Alden's lineup mostly because I like their finishing better than AE's for cordovan. Cold Iron and others have shared some great shots of AE cordovan but I just don't know if I want to put in all the leg work. I spent many years in the army getting mirror shines on my boots, but when spending $700 on a pair of shoes I kind of want them to pop right out of the box.

That said, I am partial to AE's styles (with the exception of the MacNeils which I find a bit pointy). See how confused I am?! Any help??

Alden does a great job with shell, and definitely puts a different finish on it than other makers. However, I wouldn't make your buying decision completely based on the level of shine out of the box. Shell can shine well, but most importantly it shines differently. One of the best things about shell cordovan is its ease of care after the first few wears. Yes, in the beginning you will need to do a bit of brushing, combined with a damp paper towel or rag (or begin cold iron's regimen). But, after that all it takes is a quick wipe down and brush and they look great.

I have the 3 you are considering, in fact I have the Leeds in both black and burgundy shell. If you dislike the pointy toe on the 7 last then look to the Cambridge instead of the MacNeil. I'd focus instead on fit and comfort. The reality is that any cordovan shoe will require about the same care after the first few wearings - it's only the are in the beginning that's materially different (Alden vs everyone else).
post #24305 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnsk123 View Post

Thoughts on AE's penny loafers? Looking to get a pair for the office. 

I would go with the Patriots. I have the Burgundy calf with tap sole (I actually have a couple shiny pennys in these) and the Brown Shell Cordovan. Both are great shoes. The can be just a casual loafer, or can be dressed up with a fun summer suit sockless and look really good. IMO, this is your best bet. 

post #24306 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

My walnut cordovan Daltons are one of the best shoe decisions I have ever made.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I concur. About a month or so back I got a pair of Burgundy Shell Cordovan Dalton seconds from the shoebank. There was a minor scratch, nothing visible. I love these boots. Way better than my calf Daltons. Oh, if only all my shoes were Shell. 

 

Warning! Shell is very addictive and dangerous... It is like heroin... Once you have a taste, you can't stop.

post #24307 of 70737

What has been everyones experience with the MTO offer Mr. Grangaard made us? I placed an order on 4/26, 9 1/2 weeks ago, for a pair of Walnut Shell Macneils. I still haven't got them yet. I emailed Allison this morning to have her check the status of my order. Just curios what you gentleman had experienced with the MTO process. This is my first MTO, so I have no comparison. 

post #24308 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

Hoping you all can help me. I am looking to pick up my first pair of shell cordovans. My issue is I am torn between many options. I plan on using these as a three season casual shoe so am considering the Daltons, the Leeds, and the MacNeils in burgundy cordovan. 

I own only three shell cordovan shoes: burgundy Daltons, black Leeds, and burgundy MacNeils. I'm wearing the Daltons right now. If one of the six 14AA-sized people in the world broke into my house and stole all my shoes, the first ones I'd replace would be the Leeds (in burgundy). Nothing shows off shell like a PTB, and they don't draw attention except to those in the know... I kind of like that about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

What has been everyones experience with the MTO offer Mr. Grangaard made us? I placed an order on 4/26, 9 1/2 weeks ago, for a pair of Walnut Shell Macneils. I still haven't got them yet. I emailed Allison this morning to have her check the status of my order. Just curios what you gentleman had experienced with the MTO process. This is my first MTO, so I have no comparison. 

I confirmed the order on April 26 for my MacNeils and sent an email June 21 (exactly eight weeks) to see what was up -- Allison called me a few hours later to take my credit card information, and according to FedEx they shipped June 26 to hit my doorstep June 28. Well worth the wait. I anticipate you'll be getting a phone call within the next three or four hours. Good luck!
post #24309 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHD28 View Post

Gentlemen, I need some sizing assistance. I wear 7.5E in Strand & McAllister and was wondering how well a 7.5D in the Byron would fit?

 

What last is the Byron? I also wear 7.5E in Strand & McAllister (5 last) so if the Byron is on the same last as some of my other shoes I can perhaps guide you.

post #24310 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAdam View Post

What last is the Byron? I also wear 7.5E in Strand & McAllister (5 last) so if the Byron is on the same last as some of my other shoes I can perhaps guide you.
The Byron is on the 4 last. I like mine very much, but can't help with sizing advice.
post #24311 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

What has been everyones experience with the MTO offer Mr. Grangaard made us? I placed an order on 4/26, 9 1/2 weeks ago, for a pair of Walnut Shell Macneils. I still haven't got them yet. I emailed Allison this morning to have her check the status of my order. Just curios what you gentleman had experienced with the MTO process. This is my first MTO, so I have no comparison. 

 

My order was relatively quick.  It depends on whether or not the leather is available, and I keep hearing that shell cordovan is in short supply.  

post #24312 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

My walnut cordovan Daltons are one of the best shoe decisions I have ever made.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Someone's posting of their walnut cordovan Daltons inspired me to get a pair of walnut cordovan boots.

 

Thinking it was impossible to get the Daltons, I decided to get one of the last remaining pair of Riders I could find.

 

post #24313 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Someone's posting of their walnut cordovan Daltons inspired me to get a pair of walnut cordovan boots.

 

Thinking it was impossible to get the Daltons, I decided to get one of the last remaining pair of Riders I could find.

 

 

Looks like a decent compromise!

post #24314 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

Looks like a decent compromise!

Thank you.

 

 

I think the walnut cordovan just looks amazing.

post #24315 of 70737

I've decided that my chukkas will be the RL Saunders, however they are $259 right now and they were $159 during the tent sale. So my wait for the next shoebank sale begins. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...