Maybe I need to be a little bit more specific.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 10:03 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1617post #24242 of 707377/2/13 at 11:30amQuote:
The Dundee of course. In all 5 flavors of shell offered.
Cambridge after brushing. Best way I have found to store ties for travel. Shouldn't 7 fold ties smell like shell? :-)
:post #24243 of 707377/2/13 at 11:35am
I would love a pair of olive neumoks but I already have distressed brown mctavishes so I feel it's a bit redundant. Maybe a less casual wing tip is in order. I have bourbon strands, so maybe walnut mcallisters. Or go the otherway and get something sans-brougue.post #24244 of 707377/2/13 at 11:35amI might at some point go for the MTO option. Honestly, while I love the initial look of calfskin shoes, I've felt less and less like they hold up to my usage. Basically, suburban "office" where it's an old farm house. I'm always out in the yard or chasing the dogs, or going on walks. CXL and shell really hold up to that, but calfskin gets wet from the grass instantly, because of all the dew. So at this point, unless I'm in a suit for a client meeting, I'm only wearing my 721/744s or CXL moc-toe shoes. Slowly selling off my AE calfskins because of this.
AE CXL, well, I'd want to see how they handle the leather before I really commit. Alden does beautiful work with it, but they make it super thin and delicate (like the speedhooks clearly are going to get pulled out of the leather, and judging from many people's reports, it does relatively often). So, I'd love to see how AE handles it before putting down the money.post #24245 of 707377/2/13 at 12:22pmQuote:
For suede the AE Katmai is still available in size 9.5D and 10D on the AE website for $157. Also at Lands End in size 9-12 D width only. The pictures on the AE website are of course poor, it isn't quite as shaggy as it looks there IRL.
Great chukka but a bit casual IMO, eventually I will have a MTO Dundee done in lined snuff.post #24246 of 707377/2/13 at 12:34pmpost #24247 of 707377/2/13 at 12:44pmQuote:
I think the looming Independence Day holiday has everyone on vacation or working hard to squeeze 5 days into 3...
I'm in the former category. But, for the sake of conversation, look what came today - I know it's not AE... but the stamps in the shoe are the same font....
Rancourt for Brooks Brothers shell cordovan boat shoes... if anyone is wondering.post #24248 of 707377/2/13 at 12:44pm
This isn't AE specific but is as good a place to ask as any.
While picking up a repair at our local cobbler today, I was looking over his small rack of "abandoned property" he has for sale. He has a pair of what appear to be (from the sole and inside) almost brand new black stich cap bluchers for which he'd take $30. I wear a 10.5 E in the AE five last and occasionally an 11D in LWB's of various makers. These are 11.5D. I keep postponing buying a new black stitch or punch cap because, well, something more "fun" always seem to be available and I don't need plain black all that often anymore.
Anyway, I tried them on and was surprised to find my right (and larger foot) fit fairly well. However, with the left there is a little heel slippage. Despite the fact I walk very little in my dress shoes, I don't want anything that's going to be an annoyance. But, plugging a hole in my rotation for almost nothing is tempting.
I've passed on them for now while I sleep on it.
Is there some sort of trick to reducing heel slippage? Would a tongue pad be any help?post #24249 of 707377/2/13 at 12:47pmpost #24250 of 707377/2/13 at 12:57pmpost #24251 of 707377/2/13 at 1:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by wdahab
I might at some point go for the MTO option. Honestly, while I love the initial look of calfskin shoes, I've felt less and less like they hold up to my usage. Basically, suburban "office" where it's an old farm house. I'm always out in the yard or chasing the dogs, or going on walks. CXL and shell really hold up to that, but calfskin gets wet from the grass instantly, because of all the dew. So at this point, unless I'm in a suit for a client meeting, I'm only wearing my 721/744s or CXL moc-toe shoes. Slowly selling off my AE calfskins because of this.
AE CXL, well, I'd want to see how they handle the leather before I really commit. Alden does beautiful work with it, but they make it super thin and delicate (like the speedhooks clearly are going to get pulled out of the leather, and judging from many people's reports, it does relatively often). So, I'd love to see how AE handles it before putting down the money.
I've been impressed with my CXL Bayfields, and impressed with AE's speedhooks vs. Alden's.post #24252 of 707377/2/13 at 1:07pmQuote:
Are those dark brown or black? Park Avenues are dressier than Fifth Avenues, by strict definition, so I would consider them as an in between option since you already have these. If your Fifth Avenues are dark brown, then you will really have redundancy.post #24253 of 707377/2/13 at 1:08pmpost #24254 of 707377/2/13 at 1:09pmQuote:
In-between your walnut Strands and your black 5th aves? How about something other than a cap-toe - like a burgundy brogued wingtip (McAllister / Cambridge or Macneil)?post #24255 of 707377/2/13 at 1:10pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 26 seconds ago
- › Viyella Glen Plaid size M NEW With Tags. 3 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 4 minutes ago
- › Chelsea boots & snow/salt 6 minutes ago
- › Davek Solo Umbrella Black/Yellow 9 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 12 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Chrysalis Chatsworth 13 minutes ago
- › Makr Fold Weekender in Umber 16 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 17 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway