Yes, but they also offered some great styles that are still available today . . . such as the Fifth Avenue and McAllister.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/31/17 at 1:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:14 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1608post #24106 of 707376/28/13 at 8:54ampost #24107 of 707376/28/13 at 9:13amQuote:Originally Posted by MidwestSteve
Need some help getting that awesome mirror shine. This was the first time I had shined these shoes appropriately with Saphir, so I applied Renovateur once, then cream on the entire shoe and brushed with a horsehair brush. Repeated three times. Even after vigorous brushing the shoes were a bit dull, so I used an Amazon microfiber cloth to wipe off the excess cream polish, so I think I used too much cream. After that, the shoes looked pretty good.
Next I put on one coat of Saphir wax using a dry microfiber cloth, and used a different section of that cloth to vigorously buff the shoe. When I was done it looked like all the cream and wax had been removed. Did I buff too much?
I also tried the technique of applying a base coat of Saphir wax with dry cloth, then 10 coats of wax with a damp cloth. No luck for most of the shoe. I did have a mirror shine on the leather near the sole, but not on the top of the shoe. Although I thought I was using a minimal amount, maybe it was still too much wax?
Any ideas where I’ve gone wrong?
For expert advice, go to the Shoe Care Thread: CLICK HEREpost #24108 of 707376/28/13 at 9:18amQuote:Originally Posted by AT83
Question for you all.
Blue spiaggia vs Blue neumok
Clearance price and nordstrom sale price shouldn't be too far apart. Which would be better for jeans and khakis with polos and button down dress shirts. Might also try either with no show socks and shorts but that would be pretty advanced work for me. I am attracted to the rubber sole for all weather traction, but not sure about it being red. I could always topy the neumok for damp and winter wear in the Chicago area while the suede spiaggia might be too vulnerable despite the sole. In the past I wore a pair of brown grain leather cap toes with rubber soles but they became too tight and got sold off. By fall my mto cxl Bayfields should arrive and provide another nice casual option and damp approved sole.
I have blue Neumoks and blue Strandmoks (similar to spiaggia?). Only worn the Strandmoks once, and they are like wearing slippers - combination of the vibram sole and suede. But the Neumoks are some of my absolute favourite shoes. Love them with jeans, and with blue or natural khakis. The blue neumoks have the butyl sole, which I believe is a little better suited to wet pavement that the regular leather sole too...Strandmoks certainly stand out, Neumoks not quite so much - they're a little more subdued. Glad to have both!post #24109 of 707376/28/13 at 9:22amQuote:Originally Posted by Count de Monet
I have a pair from Naragansett. Excellent quality, cut to order. However, they aren't super "dressy" ie no stitching on edges, no super polished sheen. My burgundy is too red to suit me for wearing with my burgundy shoes but great for weekends. I wear the brown all the time, including my Jeffersons today (just link two posts above together)'
My burgundy belt from Naragansett doesn't match my burgundy shoes at all. I was highly disappointed in the color. The walnut belt I purchased matches my Strands perfectly, though I agree that it is not very dressy.post #24110 of 707376/28/13 at 9:27amQuote:Originally Posted by JermynStreet
With all due respect, this is not repairable and I think this advice is incorrect. These shoes indicate a serious crack in the upper that clearly demonstrates that the integrity of the hide has been compromised (through the lasting process, probably). I would say that if there is cracking in this part of the vamp, there almost certainly has to be an increased probability that the surrounding hide is also compromised. There are a lot of shoes floating around on eBay and the gentleman's money would be better spent on an uncompromised pair.
I have revised and edited my original post with an AE Chat transcript. You are correct!
Davidpost #24111 of 707376/28/13 at 9:30ampost #24112 of 707376/28/13 at 9:34ampost #24113 of 707376/28/13 at 9:36ampost #24114 of 707376/28/13 at 10:19ampost #24115 of 707376/28/13 at 10:35amQuote:
In what ways were the 10's too tight? Just width? I'll defer to the more experienced people here, but it seems as though those are too long for you. Consider the 10-E's.post #24116 of 707376/28/13 at 10:38amQuote:
These shoes only come in D's and EEE's (according to the Nordstrom's website).
They just overall felt too tight. All toes but the big toe felt crunched.
With the 10.5's if I wear normal athletic socks they almost feel a little tight.post #24117 of 707376/28/13 at 10:47amQuote:
The "Players" right? Those do come in E width, just maybe not on the website right now. Give Nordstroms a call, I believe they should be able to get it for you.
Don't forget that you can return those Nordstroms even you've worn them.post #24118 of 707376/28/13 at 11:04ampost #24119 of 707376/28/13 at 11:26ampost #24120 of 707376/28/13 at 11:33am
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 1 second ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 13 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 36 seconds ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 2 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 10 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 11 minutes ago
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...