or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1583  

post #23731 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post

 

Well like yourself I can count on one hand the stores within a reasonable drive that carry AE... even less with any selection.. and zero with my size. So being busy, I'd rather do my best to discern the colour from photos and then take a leap of faith vs driving an hour each way to judge the particular browness of a shoe. Bourbon by the way, is walnut that is burnished.

Well evil, if the Kenilworth Bourbon is indeed Busnished Walnut, I'll be in heaven because that's exactly what I'm looking to get!  I just got a little nervous earlier when I searched Kenilworth Bourbon in google and came across this horrid greenish dark brown color...

 

Cheers!

post #23732 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

 

Absolutely agree with MWS (tough to disagree with MWS, though... ;-)). With all due respect to BB, the sales associates in DC are sub-par. I don't know if the regional manager is a bean-counter (and therefore overly anal about numbers, numbers, NUMBERS), but on multiple occasions, I have had to deal with either pushy, inattentive, or unknowledgeable SAs desperate to make a sale. Just last week, I went to BB on Connecticut and M, I had one SA give me a lecture on why it was important to buy "local" rather than online (the SA did not mention, however, that he earns a substantial commission on every "local" purchase--from him!). Alas, I digress from the topic of Allen Edmonds shoes, but I do think that it is worth mentioning that the DC AE store provides a far superior purchasing experience than any of the DC BB Stores (Brian at the Connecticut Ave. AE store is a total relationship type of manager. He is always calm, helpful, and earnestly believes in the product. Mike Maduka and Alex are also excellent sales associates, and their service is commendable, too.). In my experience, I have learned to stick with AE for all purchases. For me, the service, relationship building, and experience are worth more than the money saved by going to a BB sale.

 

Just my 2 ¢.

 

+1 on the Connecticut Avenue store. The service and conversation I had with Brian was impeccable. Perhaps they get so many suits/names/loaded tourists there that the salesmen are fat and happy and relaxed, which reflects on the store atmosphere and service. Whatever the case, it's an excellent little shop.

post #23733 of 70737

Hi guys,

First post to the forum.

 

 

I ordered two pairs (10.5 D's) of AE's from Nordstroms during the sale (Walnut PLAYERS and Black CLIFTONS).  I received the Cliftons today and have a couple questions:

 

1.

Is this loose stitching a defect?  It's consistent on both sides of both shoes.

 

 

 

2.  Is there too much room in the ankles?  I returned a pair of Strands because they looked too loose, similar to these.  NOTE: I have very flat feet.

 

 

post #23734 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeselcyde View Post

Hi guys,
First post to the forum.


I ordered two pairs (10.5 D's) of AE's from Nordstroms during the sale (Walnut PLAYERS and Black CLIFTONS).  I received the Cliftons today and have a couple questions:

1.
Is this loose stitching a defect?  It's consistent on both sides of both shoes.







2.  Is there too much room in the ankles?  I returned a pair of Strands because they looked too loose, similar to these.  NOTE: I have very flat feet.







For the love of Pete, please put some socks on! Lol. I'll let others with better fit knowledge have a go at this. J
post #23735 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudman43 View Post


For the love of Pete, please put some socks on! Lol. I'll let others with better fit knowledge have a go at this. J

It was too hard to see the gap with socks on.  

 

I am partial to socks though, lol.

post #23736 of 70737

socks are overrated icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

 

post #23737 of 70737

They look loose....can you put some socks on a tighten them up a little to make it comfortable?  

 

I would't worry about the stitching, I have that on some AEs and it's OK. 

post #23738 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post

They look loose....can you put some socks on a tighten them up a little to make it comfortable?  

That's the thing....they are already super comfortable (just as comfortable with socks) but I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some shoes when they flare out in the ankle like that and "look bad".  These and the Player's I ordered will be my first dress shoes/most expensive shoes I own.  I showed concern at Nordstrom's when trying on the walnut pair in my size and the manager pulled up his pant legs and showed me his small gap on his outer heel.  However, the other guy working there was wearing some Player's and he had none of that.

post #23739 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeselcyde View Post

That's the thing....they are already super comfortable (just as comfortable with socks) but I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some shoes when they flare out in the ankle like that and "look bad".  These and the Player's I ordered will be my first dress shoes/most expensive shoes I own.  I showed concern at Nordstrom's when trying on the walnut pair in my size and the manager pulled up his pant legs and showed me his small gap on his outer heel.  However, the other guy working there was wearing some Player's and he had none of that.

The gap is a bit much, but if you have socks on and tighten the laces a little more it might be fine.  Try that and post another pic if you can. 

post #23740 of 70737

As a fellow flat foot, I will tell you that some bowing is to be expected even if you don't see it in other make ups on the same last.  In most cases, properly fitted jeans or trousers will cover that part of the shoe. The most important aspect is whether or not the shoes fit comfortably.  If they fit well and you don't have excessive heel slip, don't worry about it and enhoy the shoes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeselcyde View Post

Hi guys,

First post to the forum.

 

 

I ordered two pairs (10.5 D's) of AE's from Nordstroms during the sale (Walnut PLAYERS and Black CLIFTONS).  I received the Cliftons today and have a couple questions:

 

1.

Is this loose stitching a defect?  It's consistent on both sides of both shoes.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2.  Is there too much room in the ankles?  I returned a pair of Strands because they looked too loose, similar to these.  NOTE: I have very flat feet.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeselcyde View Post

That's the thing....they are already super comfortable (just as comfortable with socks) but I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some shoes when they flare out in the ankle like that and "look bad".  These and the Player's I ordered will be my first dress shoes/most expensive shoes I own.  I showed concern at Nordstrom's when trying on the walnut pair in my size and the manager pulled up his pant legs and showed me his small gap on his outer heel.  However, the other guy working there was wearing some Player's and he had none of that.

post #23741 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

As a fellow flat foot, I will tell you that some bowing is to be expected even if you don't see it in other make ups on the same last.  In most cases, properly fitted jeans or trousers will cover that part of the shoe. The most important aspect is whether or not the shoes fit comfortably.  If they fit well and you don't have excessive heel slip, don't worry about it and enhoy the shoes.

 

 

I received the Cliftons today and so far in the 20 minutes I've had them they are super comfortable (more comfortable than the strands I had for 2 weeks).  

 

I'll post some pics with socks on.

post #23742 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post

They look loose....can you put some socks on a tighten them up a little to make it comfortable?  

 

I would't worry about the stitching, I have that on some AEs and it's OK. 

 

Here are some with socks.  No heel slippage at all.  Very comfy.  Also, can anyone comment on the loose stitching from my first post?

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #23743 of 70737

If you purchased those shoes from Nordstrom, then yes, that would be considered a defect and I would request a prompt exchange.

post #23744 of 70737

I'm about to order a pair of the Boca Ratons off of the AE website.  I haven't been able to actually try on a pair though as there isn't a store that carries them anywhere around me.  I did try on both the Strand and the Clifton though (in 10D) and the Strand was too narrow but the Clifton fit well.  Does anyone have experience to compare the width of the Boca Ratons with the width of either the Strand or the Clifton? Do the Boca Ratons fit similarly to either of these shoes?

 

Thanks!

post #23745 of 70737

I've got a question about sizing for the Dundees. I have a pair of McAllister on the 5 last in 10E that fit me well. Would you size the Dundees the same? Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...