Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1528  

post #22906 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Have over shoes fallen out of favor?


 

I think overshoes would be the best bet, unless its torrential downpour. I need a pair, hoping they will be on sale during the upcoming Tent Sale.

post #22907 of 70737

Question about Mr. Grangaard's MTO offer: How is pricing structured? Does he give us the regular price of the shoe or does he base in on how much customization is being done?

 

Im looking to basically do the Fifth Street boot in Walnut calf.

 

Thanks for the help.

post #22908 of 70737

If anything, wouldnt a bit of adverse weather give your AEs the patina that is so highly sought after? I would wear my AEs anywhere, as long as you take the proper care after exposure I dont see what harm could come of it. Overshoes seem like an unnecessary burden; where do you put them when you get inside? Do you hold them in your hands? Its just all a bit too inconvenient for me, really. I prefer braving the elements for a minute or two versus saddling myself with extra gear.

 

 

And what horrible catastrophes have so numerously befallen NJ as to have them declare gas pump attendants as mandatory?

post #22909 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

If anything, wouldnt a bit of adverse weather give your AEs the patina that is so highly sought after? I would wear my AEs anywhere, as long as you take the proper care after exposure I dont see what harm could come of it. Overshoes seem like an unnecessary burden; where do you put them when you get inside? Do you hold them in your hands? Its just all a bit too inconvenient for me, really. I prefer braving the elements for a minute or two versus saddling myself with extra gear.

 

 

And what horrible catastrophes have so numerously befallen NJ as to have them declare gas pump attendants as mandatory?

 

Well I think if you have a backpack, briefcase, or messenger bag you can easily place the overshoe in there. Or just keep them on, they aren't terrible looking (SWIMS of course). I haven't been living in the NY/NJ area long enough to know why gas attendants are mandatory, maybe it was just thought of one day and now all the stations do it. We also have a surcharge for using a credit card, usually .10 more a gallon which i think is redonkulous! 

 

The stat of New Jersey has many things that will leave you scratching you head… jug handles for example. STUPID!

post #22910 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

Question about Mr. Grangaard's MTO offer: How is pricing structured? Does he give us the regular price of the shoe or does he base in on how much customization is being done?

 

Im looking to basically do the Fifth Street boot in Walnut calf.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

 

I suggest contacting AE with your MTO request.  They will quote you a price with no obligation to purchase.

post #22911 of 70737
post #22912 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by guasc1 View Post

For my Torontonians fellow SFers...
I just visited the Harry Rosen outlet in Mississauga and scored a pair of Lasalle firsts for 164 dollars taxes included.
Good selections in all sizes.
Max

What colours were there? I may go tomorrow.
Edited by tietherope - 6/8/13 at 1:55pm
post #22913 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post

Do any of you use the Dalton and/or Fifth Street as a foul weather boot? I'm looking for something dressy I can put a topy on and apply some Obenauf’s HDLP to. Is this crazy or should I just go with something with a rubber sole?  

What is toply?

post #22914 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

What colours were there? I may go tomorrow.

I got dark brown, but I saw also black and chili. I haven't searched much in other sizes (I'm a 8.5) but the shelves were pretty full.
In 8.5 I saw Bradley's, a wingtip which I can't recall the model name, and a ton of other brands (Cucinelli, Santoni, Prada, etc).

This was an unexpected surprise, as I was only driving my father in law to shop for a wedding and I got redirected but a smart sales person.
post #22915 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Have over shoes fallen out of favor?


 

People wear overshoes, I guess,  People use umbrellas too.  Not me.  I suppose I'm fortunate that if it's raining I'm not going to spend too much time out in it.  I can handle a quick dash through the rain without overshoes or an umbrella.  If I was forced to spend extended periods of time out in the rain, I might consider changing my shoes or my situation in general.

post #22916 of 70737
I just purchased 2nd quality black Ashtons, burgundy Scottsdales, two pair of AE shoe trees and leather conditioner/cleaner for less than $550 with tax. Adding that to my chili Ashtons will make a great start for my AE collection.
post #22917 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

What is toply?

It's a rubber half sole that you add to your leather shoes to reduce wear and add some traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

If anything, wouldnt a bit of adverse weather give your AEs the patina that is so highly sought after? I would wear my AEs anywhere, as long as you take the proper care after exposure I dont see what harm could come of it. Overshoes seem like an unnecessary burden; where do you put them when you get inside? Do you hold them in your hands? Its just all a bit too inconvenient for me, really. I prefer braving the elements for a minute or two versus saddling myself with extra gear.
Usually when I am wearing my SWIMS I am wearing them to and from work and just stick it in my workspace when I get to work. If I know I am going to be somewhere where I cannot stick them somewhere I choose other shoes to wear. I wear my SWIMS so I don't have to do so much work polishing them up again after the rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

Plus I find it rediculous when I hear people don't know how to pump gas... Really?!
You'd be surprised how many New Yorkers don't even have a driver's license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post

People wear overshoes, I guess,  People use umbrellas too.  Not me.  I suppose I'm fortunate that if it's raining I'm not going to spend too much time out in it.  I can handle a quick dash through the rain without overshoes or an umbrella.  If I was forced to spend extended periods of time out in the rain, I might consider changing my shoes or my situation in general.

Yes, you have to take into consideration that some people have to walk some distance when the weather is foul. My previous walk to the closest train station was about 12 minutes at a normal pace. For some people, and probably the majority here, they only walk to their car, from their car to their office, and the reverse.
post #22918 of 70737
I have some dark brown shell Sanfords that need new soles soon. I feel like black single soles are a little incongrous -- too formal for the shoe. So I am thinking about getting double soles, which could either be black or light brown. Thoughts?


OFZUhz4.jpg

Second, why doesn't AE make the Fairgate anymore? Awesome blucher with a plain captoe and a double sole. I love these things.

img[
post #22919 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootskier View Post

I have some dark brown shell Sanfords that need new soles soon. I feel like black single soles are a little incongrous -- too formal for the shoe. So I am thinking about getting double soles, which could either be black or light brown. Thoughts?


OFZUhz4.jpg

Second, why doesn't AE make the Fairgate anymore? Awesome blucher with a plain captoe and a double sole. I love these things.

img[

Question could also be why they don't make the Sanford anymore. I love those shoes.
post #22920 of 70737

They have sanfords every now and then during the outlet sales

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...