I am at 17 shell shoes\boots currently and only have had serious water welts with one of them, my black shell Dundee's. They are the only ones I use Defender on for that very reason, because I'm not sure. Someone on the Alden of Carmel site suggested several thin coats of wax for protection and I do have a few that I have done that to, my black shell PA's and burgundy Cambridge. I have not had any issues with them and water using just a few thin coats of wax over a period of a year or more. But they also never seemed to have water issues either.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 3/18/17 at 7:27pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 12:33 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1507post #22591 of 707376/3/13 at 8:47ampost #22592 of 707376/3/13 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by BootSpell
I'm probably in the minority but I still really enjoy calf. I have a few boots in shell and am still on a patient hunt for the more rare shell colors. I love shell but will buy both shell AND calf in the future.
I particularly am fond of CXL. Natural CXL ages so nicely with incredible patina. One thing about calf to me is the feel of it. Shell feels nice and smooth but somehow very good calf seems more luxurious to the touch. People made fun of a post I made quite awhile ago () about enjoying the incredible tactile sensation of calfskin. And I still do. Sitting cross-legged in meetings or whatever, the luxurious sensation of good calf relieves boredom! And I don't think shell just has that same feel. But it's all so subjective...
I agree that from an appearance perspective, shell is king.Quote:
Nothing wrong with this. Your wallets will thank you.post #22593 of 707376/3/13 at 8:50am
Following up on this...Quote:Originally Posted by robbyCan I get some advice?I got a good deal on a pair of new Navy/Tan Finches on closeout (not factory seconds). I absolutely love the style and fit, but after wearing them for just a couple of hours I notice they are breaking in very asymetrically from an aesthetic standpoint. The right shoe has barely any crease to it, even when bent, while the left shoe already has several enormous creases that span across the entire toebox and down to the outsole.Creasing per se isn't something that bothers me, but I have two concerns I was hoping some of you guys could weigh in on:1) If the leather quality varies greatly between the two shoes, is the left shoe likely to get more and more beat up while the right one continues looking new, or is it more likely that with time it will even out?2) Because these shoes are part of the "rough" collection, AE advises that no polish or cream is used on them. It would be nice though if there were some way to restore the original color in the creased area so that there isn't so much contrast on the creasemarks. Is there a solution for this or am I asking the shoe to be something that it isn't?Photos for reference:Quote:Quote:
I checked my new strands and all of my other AE leather shoes and none of them exhibit this behavior. How would you guys feel if your new shoes broke in like this? I'm trying to figure out if this is a defect or if I'm being too anal.
Updated/recent photo:post #22594 of 707376/3/13 at 9:07ampost #22595 of 707376/3/13 at 9:33ampost #22596 of 707376/3/13 at 9:35ampost #22597 of 707376/3/13 at 9:54ampost #22598 of 707376/3/13 at 9:59ampost #22599 of 707376/3/13 at 10:13amQuote:Quote:
That is the Schautal in tan suede. I assume it is made for the German AE market, but that is just an assumption. It is pretty much the MacNeil in tan suede, but it seems to be built on the 3-73 last based on the model number (assuming they use the same numbering system for their shoes in Germany). It has a double leather sole, brown edge trim, cream colored glove leather lining. I tried them on and found them quite cozy, and I think they are a great value if you are looking for a suede wingtip.post #22600 of 707376/3/13 at 10:28amQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
That is the Schautal in tan suede. I assume it is made for the German AE market, but that is just an assumption. It is pretty much the MacNeil in tan suede, but it seems to be built on the 3-73 last based on the model number (assuming they use the same numbering system for their shoes in Germany). It has a double leather sole, brown edge trim, cream colored glove leather lining. I tried them on and found them quite cozy, and I think they are a great value if you are looking for a suede wingtip.
Thanks for the abundance of information!post #22601 of 707376/3/13 at 10:53am
Good afternoon gentlemen, would any of you happen to know what model this is?
I found it on this webpage.... http://www.rockefellercenter.com/shop-and-eat/allen-edmonds/post #22602 of 707376/3/13 at 11:07amQuote:Originally Posted by guasc1
Good afternoon gentlemen, would any of you happen to know what model this is?
I found it on this webpage.... http://www.rockefellercenter.com/shop-and-eat/allen-edmonds/
Would love to know too. That's a good lookin' shoe!post #22603 of 707376/3/13 at 11:15ampost #22604 of 707376/3/13 at 12:20pmpost #22605 of 707376/3/13 at 12:37pm
True, very true. But eventually even your wallets can turn to shell if your not careful...
I still like and appreciate other materials, calf, cowhide, suede, CXL, etc. which I still own and purchase. It does not have to be an exclusive agreement. But I do have to admit that the shell will try to take over, be careful.....
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 1 minute ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Prince Charles in single-breasted?? 4 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 6 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 6 minutes ago
- › Monk straps: Any regrets? 7 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 10 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...