or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1168  

post #17506 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post

 

 

 

 

Thanks for all of your advices. I'm planning on going to the opening of the new AE store in NYC (I believe it will be at 43rd St. and 6th Ave.) next weekend and buy a black Park Avenue by then, as I need one for an upcoming wedding in June.

Is there some kind of grand opening sale? There are 3 other AE stores within a 5 minute walk of this location that you could go to that are open now.

post #17507 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post

What AE's would you gents recommend for a black suit/tuxedo?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

As black suits tend to be formal a nice cap toe like to Park Ave would be a classic choice.  Depending on your suit, I would hesitate to wear any brouge or wingtip shoe, but the Flatiron has a shape that would allow the brogue to not bring down the formality of the suit. 

For a tux you should stay away from any cap toe, brogue, wingtip, etc and wear a long, narrow, plain toe evening shoe.  Formal shoes are frequently crappy plastic things, but AE has the Mayfair.  I don't prefer patent leather, so I'd go for the Kenilworth (in black of course!) and put a spit-shine on them that would wow even my old Chief from boot camp.  To be honest, very few people would know that you shouldn't wear dress shoes for formal wear so PA or Flatirons would go unnoticed by 98% of people in the room.  Just us pricks from SF will notice. 

post #17508 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Is there some kind of grand opening sale? There are 3 other AE stores within a 5 minute walk of this location that you could go to that are open now.

 

I'm not sure; but I hope so. tongue.gif I've only been to the tiny AE store at the back or the Rockefeller Center, and I hope the new store will be much spacious than that.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

As black suits tend to be formal a nice cap toe like to Park Ave would be a classic choice.  Depending on your suit, I would hesitate to wear any brouge or wingtip shoe, but the Flatiron has a shape that would allow the brogue to not bring down the formality of the suit. 

For a tux you should stay away from any cap toe, brogue, wingtip, etc and wear a long, narrow, plain toe evening shoe.  Formal shoes are frequently crappy plastic things, but AE has the Mayfair.  I don't prefer patent leather, so I'd go for the Kenilworth (in black of course!) and put a spit-shine on them that would wow even my old Chief from boot camp.  To be honest, very few people would know that you shouldn't wear dress shoes for formal wear so PA or Flatirons would go unnoticed by 98% of people in the room.  Just us pricks from SF will notice. 

 

Thanks! Most likely, I'll be going for a black suit and black PA's. And I'll probably get a less versatile pair of Kenilworth's in the future for tux events.

post #17509 of 70737

A good idea! 
 

post #17510 of 70737
Can we begin a rumor that will hopefully pressure the CEOs to make something come true? Can we start a rumor that there will be an Allen Edmonds-Filson collaboration? Rugged shell cordovan loafers? Yes please. Btw just sitting in the St. Louis MO airport and the idea popped into my head as I took this picture.
post #17511 of 70737
Cold Iron your talk about the black shell park ave have pushed me over the edge that I had to order a pair from Kristle. They ship Monday I will put just a hint of navy wax.
post #17512 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post

 

I'm not sure; but I hope so. tongue.gif I've only been to the tiny AE store at the back or the Rockefeller Center, and I hope the new store will be much spacious than that.

 

 

 

Thanks! Most likely, I'll be going for a black suit and black PA's. And I'll probably get a less versatile pair of Kenilworth's in the future for tux events.

The Rockefeller Center store is actually pretty big. It is one of the largest AE locations I've been to. There is even a shoe-shine stand there. There is one on 44th and Madison that is the size of a closet. Maybe that is the one you are thinking of?

 

I'm not sure getting a blucher to wear with a tuxedo is the best option. Unfortunately, I don't think AE really makes a suitable tuxedo shoe. Does it have to be AE?

post #17513 of 70737
I would love AE to make a plaintoe Flatiron. I like the looks but without the design. I think in black it would look fantastic.
post #17514 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbstc View Post

I would love AE to make a plaintoe Flatiron. I like the looks but without the design. I think in black it would look fantastic.


Yes- it is a good looking design- much more formal looking.  I could do without the burnishing on the toe.  It's not a game-ender, but it takes it out of the formal world to me. 

post #17515 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

Can we begin a rumor that will hopefully pressure the CEOs to make something come true? Can we start a rumor that there will be an Allen Edmonds-Filson collaboration? Rugged shell cordovan loafers? Yes please. Btw just sitting in the St. Louis MO airport and the idea popped into my head as I took this picture.

I 2nd this idea!
post #17516 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbstc View Post

I would love AE to make a plaintoe Flatiron. I like the looks but without the design. I think in black it would look fantastic.

The Kenilworth is basically the Flatiron with a plaintoe (albeit on a slightly different last).

post #17517 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post

 

I know that for many SFers, the ne plus ultra of AE shoes is the walnut Strand. As nice as it is, I think it just may be a little too loud for me. I'm sort of thinking that I may want either a black shoe in a more casual style (i.e. a blucher), or something in a dark or mid brown (i.e. different from the chili and burgundy shoes that I already have). Any suggestions?  

Firefox -  for what it's worth, I went with the Bourbon strands as my first AE purchase and I think they are just a little more versatile than the Walnut as they are darker. The bourbon might just be right for you.

 

I only have the strands and a pair of Merlot PA's right now, so my next shoe will probably be a black one, although I'm holding out hope for some capuccino shell McAllisters to drop in the near future.


Edited by cdmcallister - 3/17/13 at 2:38pm
post #17518 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGalt View Post

The Kenilworth is basically the Flatiron with a plaintoe (albeit on a slightly different last).

It doesn't have the same toe shape and that's what I'm looking for. I like C&J shoes but prefer to buy AEs just because of tradition and the Flatiron are the closest thing they have ever produced to a CJ looking shoe.
post #17519 of 70737

Guys that have the blue Neumok, what kind of pants do you prefer to wear it with? I just bought them online ($135 shipped!)...thinking they might look great with N&F duck selvedge.

post #17520 of 70737
Sorry for the double post...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...