Is the Soles4Souls promotion eligible on factory second purchases? Has anyone tried it?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 8:00 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1143post #17132 of 707373/11/13 at 7:08ampost #17133 of 707373/11/13 at 7:11ampost #17134 of 707373/11/13 at 7:12amQuote:Originally Posted by zerostyle
Does anyone know of a shoe similar to Alden's longwing in the tobacco color?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Like this? http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp
I love that shade of brown.
Any other options from AE or others in the < $300 price point?
What I've seen from AE and don't like:
- Walnut color is too light
- Burnished brown is too dark
- Haven't seen bourbon in person, but I'm guessing that it's a bit darker
- The MacNeil longwing from AE just doesn't have as nice of a shape as the Alden
I looked at Meermin's longwing, but the leather seems kind of boring and plastic looking in person, such as here: http://cdn.styleforum.net/a/a0/a0692875_IMG_0287.jpegQuote:
Yes I think it is very close in color too. The Larchmont is offered in bourbon. But is on the 3 last and to me looks more like a modern Fast Frigate instead of a good old fashioned gunboat LWB. If the McNeil ever comes out in cappuccino shell I will be all over it.Quote:
Think of it this way, they were limited edition and likely never to be made again, to even find a pair that fit you at this point is rare. You will likely never see anyone else ever wearing them. And easily one of my favorite dress boots. In the winter I have even worn them twice a week I like them so much.
Resistance is futile.... Especially on SF where we are all here to enable help you.post #17135 of 707373/11/13 at 7:14amQuote:
A downward stroke of the brush seems to work most of the time. I also steal a mini q-tip from my baby's changing table sometimes. They sell swabs with a tiny tip for infants- but a toothpick would seem practical too!post #17136 of 707373/11/13 at 7:21am
Good news! Thanks!
EDIT: Just read the fine details on the program;
"Any brand of gently worn men's, women's or children's shoes can be donated. No purchase necessary to donate shoes. Offer must be redeemed at the time of donation. Offer not redeemable for cash. Limit one $35 discount per pair of Allen Edmonds purchased. Offer only redeemable on Allen Edmonds shoes. Offer not valid on previous purchases. Not redeemable with any other offer. Discount not eligible on belts or other accessories. Offer only valid at participating Allen Edmonds Retail Stores, Outlet Stores, allenedmonds.com and select authorized dealers. Offer valid2/22/13-3/10/13. Only valid on current factory-second shoes at Allen Edmonds Outlet Stores. Soles4Souls Inc. is a 501(c)(3) recognized by the IRS and donating parties are eligible for tax advantages."post #17137 of 707373/11/13 at 7:26amQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
Your shoe care regimen is simple and reasonable, and you should get well over a decade of service from them using this method. The reason that the polish in the broguing disappeared is because the moisture from the polish was absorbed into the leather, and the remaining residue contracted. The leather within each brogue hole needs to stay well hydrated because the full grain of the leather is exposed since the holes are created by a punch being driven through the full depth of the leather. People who try to avoid getting polish into the holes are doing a great disservice to their shoes. As the leather becomes better hydrated through subsequent polishings it will likely not disappear as readily because the fibers will be better nourished. Getting the polish out of the broguing isn't a big deal. If the holes are so clogged up that it becomes difficult, then too much polish is being applied. If the horsehair brush brush or stencil dauber won't get the excess out using a good brushing, then a quick swipe with a toothpick will take care of it.
This. I've never worried about getting polish out of the holes of my Strands.post #17138 of 707373/11/13 at 7:46ampost #17139 of 707373/11/13 at 8:11amQuote:Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Non Allen-Edmonds shoe, but this is interesting to me, and maybe to others here. Meermin just announced a new black captoe cordovan shoe. hm......:
Wow, those look quite nice. And they are only $416.00! Quite a bit cheaper than any AE or Alden Shell.post #17140 of 707373/11/13 at 8:16amQuote:
Actually, a little less, because you get to deduct VAT. Shipping to the US is 35 euro for up to 2 pairs.
I think they use Comipel instead of Horween shell. Lots of discussion in general on the Meermin board: http://www.styleforum.net/t/277707/meermin-carmina-2nd-brand/4680#post_6199531post #17141 of 707373/11/13 at 9:25amQuote:Originally Posted by JermynStreet
First brag on the thread. Called shoebank today, spoke to Nathan. Ended up getting 2 pairs of Patriot Shell (Burgundy +black) for $179/piece. He said once every few years they release some shell for a new product. He inspected them and sent them to me. Excited and will post some pics up once I recieve. Oh, and BTW there is one more pair of Shell patriots in brown (size 9 D) in case anyone wants them.
Thanks for this tip! I just snagged the pair in brown with some cordovan care cream. Burgundy would have been better, but for this price I couldn't pass it up. This will be my second pair of shell in a week! I couldn't use the Soles4Souls promotion, though. I guess after a certain markdown the promotion becomes invalid.post #17142 of 707373/11/13 at 9:44ampost #17143 of 707373/11/13 at 10:00ampost #17144 of 707373/11/13 at 10:08ampost #17145 of 707373/11/13 at 10:38amQuote:Originally Posted by PerCC
Quadcammer - is there a reason why you're so condescending and pretentious? I don't think I've read a single post of yours that wasn't either snarky or rude.
To add to discussion, I think having a multitude of brushes is a matter of personal choice and should not be considered "overkill" - some people like to be very meticulous when caring for their investments. I myself have two brushes, but I also only have two pairs of shoes. I do agree with you that two or three tops should be good, as similar shades should be fine with the same brush.
You know what some people might call overkill? 30+ pairs of shoes.
Cause I'm an asshole and I'm ok with it.Quote:
No, you said a brush each time you purchase a pair of shoes. Are you new? 30 pairs of dress shoes is nothing around here.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 second ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › ***the Epicurean knits thread*** 13 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 14 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 19 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 20 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 23 minutes ago
- › Carmina Uetam Brown Suede String Loafer 80228 - BNIB (8.5UK) 24 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 30 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...