or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 1074  

post #16096 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

 

Totally agree with you guys on the yuck factor.  However the discontinued 0 last line fits my foot perfectly, so I'm willing to take the risk to have a used pair re-crafted.  The 333 last comes close, but it's still not the 0 last.

 

That's quite understandable.  No judgement from my perspective!

post #16097 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Drogo View Post

Some photos of my Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and Strand, both of which were purchased from the November 2012 Shoebank factory seconds sale ($300 + shipping for two pairs) and both are size 8.5E.

ae03.jpg
ae04.jpg
ae07.jpg
ae08.jpg
ae09.jpg
ae10.jpg

The below photo is after I finally got around to pouring blood, sweat, and tears into applying the first two coats of polish a couple weekends ago. It took me three hours since it was my first time ever polishing shoes. I figure I'll get better and the shoes will get shinier with every subsequent coat... or at least I'm hoping so. wink.gif
ae11_zpsb83058a5.jpg

 

That's a great looking pair of shoes you have there, and your shine looks fantastic in my opinion!  Hope you enjoy them.

post #16098 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

Before polishing further, read this and this, and watch this. You should be able to do it in about 15 minutes after you got the hang of it.

Christian B, many thanks for these promising links! That's very reassuring to know that I only need to invest 15 minutes each time, instead of hours again... crazy.gifbiggrin.gif Definitely going to read up and try my hand at these methods. The basic procedure I followed this first time around was:

-Remove laces
-Brush off the shoes and ensure they were otherwise clean and ready to accept polish
-Apply generous coat of polish using cloth (base coat) onto first shoe
-Let first shoe dry while repeating above step on second shoe
-When both shoes were dry, buff using cloth (I don't have a horsehair brush or anything to that effect), which gave me a reasonable shine right off the bat
-Apply second coat of polish with generous amounts of watery saliva (I was sipping water throughout working on the shoes) in tiny circles in a small area at a time until each area achieved a glossy shine (this took SO much work)
-Let dry with shoe trees reinserted
-Lace up shoes and take pride in work

As for what I used, I bought the cheapest possible products I could find at Wal-Mart. I picked up a tin of Moneysworth & Best black shoe polish and a Tana shoe cloth:

mbpaste_l.gif

Leather_PolishingCloth.png

For my Allen Edmonds Strands (walnut colour), I picked up a tube of Moneysworth & Best Brillo self shine shoe cream... the same one as pictured below but in a neutral colour, and obviously a fresh Tana shoe cloth:

media-4520-25330-shoe-cream-250x250.jpg

And of course, I provided an inexhaustible supply of "elbow grease" and saliva. lol8[1].gif

Question about shoe cloths. Do you guys launder them in the washing machine after each shine? The one I used for polishing the black Park Avenue is now covered in dried polish. Or do you buy new ones each time you need to shine your shoes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

That's a great looking pair of shoes you have there, and your shine looks fantastic in my opinion!  Hope you enjoy them.

Thanks MoneyWellSpent for the kind words. smile.gif If I do get around to polishing the Park Avenue pair further, and if I do polish the Strand pair with the tube of neutral cream I have, I'll be sure to post more photos. smile.gif
post #16099 of 70737

Got a pair of the Fifth Streets, my first boot!

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

post #16100 of 70737

Congrats!  Looks great. You know you can't stop at one, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

Got a pair of the Fifth Streets, my first boot!

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

post #16101 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

Got a pair of the Fifth Streets, my first boot!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Wow, those are sharp in real life!
post #16102 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Drogo View Post

Christian B, many thanks for these promising links! That's very reassuring to know that I only need to invest 15 minutes each time, instead of hours again... crazy.gifbiggrin.gif Definitely going to read up and try my hand at these methods. The basic procedure I followed this first time around was:

-Remove laces
-Brush off the shoes and ensure they were otherwise clean and ready to accept polish
-Apply generous coat of polish using cloth (base coat) onto first shoe

Everyone has their own way, but I think generally you should not be applying generous amounts of (wax) polish. Not sure if this is what you are doing above.
post #16103 of 70737
Hello Gents,

Upon the advice of many in this thread, I finally purchased my first pair of AE shoes (Strand in Walnut calf). I am very happy with the purchase, and I appreciate everyone's insight on how to navigate the ShoeBank (I purchased Seconds). On this order, I also purchased the Delray in Black, but unfortunately they have to go back because there is too much gap at the sides of the shoes and some heel slippage with these in an 11.5D. The toe box feels perfect, so is there any hope for me with these in a different size?

The strands feel great and they should only get better over time. I think that the 5 last is perfect for my foot shape. Is there a list that details all AE models on the 5? Otherwise, do any of you have suggestions of 5 last models you own and love? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #16104 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_International View Post

Is there a list that details all AE models on the 5?

 

You can get such a list by going to the Strand and click the welted 5-65 Last link. Luckily, there are plenty to choose from!

post #16105 of 70737

I haven't really heard people discussing the Neumora. Does anyone have any experience with this shoe and is it only in bourbon? 

post #16106 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan17 View Post

I haven't really heard people discussing the Neumora. Does anyone have any experience with this shoe and is it only in bourbon? 

 

It comes in Black and Brown.  I have the Bourbon samples, a little roomier than other shoes in same size, but overall fit well.  The last is not my favorite, but good for the price I paid.

post #16107 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan17 View Post

I haven't really heard people discussing the Neumora. Does anyone have any experience with this shoe and is it only in bourbon? 

 

It's a little squarer than I prefer. I think the discontinued Mora would've been more to my liking.

post #16108 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post

Congrats!  Looks great. You know you can't stop at one, right?


Its terrible! I now own the Strands, Park Aves and the Fifth street in my size and I'm always on the hunt for more value priced. Bought the strands and Fifths on sale and were totally worth even the full fledged price.

 

As an aside, I got the Fifth Aves (brown like the pictured boots) in a 10C before I had key'd in on my size. I really wear a 9-1/2D so if anyone wants a lightly worn pair for sale or trade hit me up!

post #16109 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtaylor View Post

 

It comes in Black and Brown.  I have the Bourbon samples, a little roomier than other shoes in same size, but overall fit well.  The last is not my favorite, but good for the price I paid.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

It's a little squarer than I prefer. I think the discontinued Mora would've been more to my liking.

What last is it in? 
I own Magnanni 'Miro' double monks and they're great but have no captoe which was originally what I wanted. 
Not sure if I should just stick with what i've got. 

post #16110 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan17 View Post

What last is it in? 

I own Magnanni 'Miro' double monks and they're great but have no captoe which was originally what I wanted. 

Not sure if I should just stick with what i've got. 

If you are asking about the Moras, they were/are on the 8 last.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...