No, the rough leathers are just slightly looser than their calf skin counter parts (speaking as someone who owns two pair of Neumoks).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/31/17 at 1:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:46 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 948post #14207 of 707371/6/13 at 6:22pmQuote:
Strands in walnut
Delrays in dark brown
Bayfields in brown CXL
Daltons in burnished walnut
Johnston & Murphy black captoe's
Johnston & Murphy burgundy mid-wings
If anything I'm in need of a new pair of black plain cap toes.post #14208 of 707371/6/13 at 6:23pmpost #14209 of 707371/6/13 at 6:25pmQuote:
For that price though wouldnt it be nice to just add them to the collection :)post #14210 of 707371/6/13 at 6:26pmpost #14211 of 707371/6/13 at 6:37pmpost #14212 of 707371/6/13 at 6:40pmQuote:
Is the leather rough? AE's description on the website says:Quote:Whichever leather you choose, each is extremely malleable, promising to give you a personal fit and that sought-after lived-in look from the first day you lace up the Neumok.
I figured that meant it wouldn't have the same problem conforming to the lasts that the Rough Collection leathers do.post #14213 of 707371/6/13 at 6:42pmQuote:
Interesting. How did the traditional 5 lasts (mis)fit you? Maybe we can reverse engineer the different between them and the Neumoks.
[Sorry, in hindsight I should've multi-quoted.]post #14214 of 707371/6/13 at 6:44pmQuote:
I have Mcallisters and Mctavishes in the 5 last and I size down a half size in all of them. I tried on the Neumoks going down half a size too and they fit perfectly.
To be clear, my normal size is 12E but I went down a half size to 11.5E for the 5 last shoes that I mentioned and they fit well.
So relative to those other 5 last shoes, I don't size down.post #14215 of 707371/6/13 at 6:45pm
Thanks for the input guys, looks like theres not much between them to worry about.
I was thinking, how good would it be if AE would provide a shoe fit guide for each actual pair or at least each actual last? Their interactive printout is cool but pretty ineffective, it says I should be a 10.5 but that would be easily 1.5 sizes too big at least based off the strands/daltons im working off.post #14216 of 707371/6/13 at 6:45pm
The "rough" leathers are soft and comfortable, yes. But they don't stretch the way calf does, at least to my experience. My calf Strand and PAs are noticeablely snugger than my Neumoks but not by much. Part of it is that the Neumoks are unlined, so they have more "give" to them than a lined shoe, the suede in particular.post #14217 of 707371/6/13 at 7:15pmQuote:
Well, I don't know if there's exactly a "gap" in your collection, but the amount of broguing on the Strands differentiates it enough from plain captoes that I'd feel it was worth adding, and at $150, you can bet I'd grab a pair (I don't have Strands in black either).post #14218 of 707371/6/13 at 7:18pmpost #14219 of 707371/6/13 at 7:29pmpost #14220 of 707371/6/13 at 8:18pmQuote:
I'm sorry for disagreeing, but there seem to be more differences. Certainly, some are aesthetic, in the form of chunkier, heavier soles and rougher finishing around the seams, as well as those you mentioned. However, the leather on some of them (McTavish and Elgin) seem a lot stiffer, and AE reps will confirm that leather characteristic. Thus, they don't conform as tightly to the last and may result in a looser fit. Some of the unlined Neumoks get past it and conform more tightly. I know my Jingle Bell Moks fit a lot more snugly than my McTavish, and a lot more like my other 5-last shoes from the more classic lines.
I guess that's not completely disagreeing, but still, I think that's a minor part of the rough label.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 5 minutes ago
- › Suit sleeve length 15 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 16 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 19 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 23 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 27 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 34 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 52 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 53 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 55 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...