No, the rough leathers are just slightly looser than their calf skin counter parts (speaking as someone who owns two pair of Neumoks).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Today at 5:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 6:47 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 948
Styleforum Top Picks
Strands in walnut
Delrays in dark brown
Bayfields in brown CXL
Daltons in burnished walnut
Johnston & Murphy black captoe's
Johnston & Murphy burgundy mid-wings
If anything I'm in need of a new pair of black plain cap toes.
For that price though wouldnt it be nice to just add them to the collection :)
I haven't fit in any of the 5 lasted shoes that I have tried on but I took a chance on the snuff suede neumoks during an Amazon sale and they fit me TTS.
I've noticed no difference between my Strands and Fifth Avenues, though I've only tried on the latter at home.
Is the leather rough? AE's description on the website says:
I figured that meant it wouldn't have the same problem conforming to the lasts that the Rough Collection leathers do.
Interesting. How did the traditional 5 lasts (mis)fit you? Maybe we can reverse engineer the different between them and the Neumoks.
[Sorry, in hindsight I should've multi-quoted.]
I have Mcallisters and Mctavishes in the 5 last and I size down a half size in all of them. I tried on the Neumoks going down half a size too and they fit perfectly.
To be clear, my normal size is 12E but I went down a half size to 11.5E for the 5 last shoes that I mentioned and they fit well.
So relative to those other 5 last shoes, I don't size down.
Thanks for the input guys, looks like theres not much between them to worry about.
I was thinking, how good would it be if AE would provide a shoe fit guide for each actual pair or at least each actual last? Their interactive printout is cool but pretty ineffective, it says I should be a 10.5 but that would be easily 1.5 sizes too big at least based off the strands/daltons im working off.
The "rough" leathers are soft and comfortable, yes. But they don't stretch the way calf does, at least to my experience. My calf Strand and PAs are noticeablely snugger than my Neumoks but not by much. Part of it is that the Neumoks are unlined, so they have more "give" to them than a lined shoe, the suede in particular.
Well, I don't know if there's exactly a "gap" in your collection, but the amount of broguing on the Strands differentiates it enough from plain captoes that I'd feel it was worth adding, and at $150, you can bet I'd grab a pair (I don't have Strands in black either).
I'm sorry for disagreeing, but there seem to be more differences. Certainly, some are aesthetic, in the form of chunkier, heavier soles and rougher finishing around the seams, as well as those you mentioned. However, the leather on some of them (McTavish and Elgin) seem a lot stiffer, and AE reps will confirm that leather characteristic. Thus, they don't conform as tightly to the last and may result in a looser fit. Some of the unlined Neumoks get past it and conform more tightly. I know my Jingle Bell Moks fit a lot more snugly than my McTavish, and a lot more like my other 5-last shoes from the more classic lines.
I guess that's not completely disagreeing, but still, I think that's a minor part of the rough label.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- › Engineered Garments FW 15 34 seconds ago
- › WAYWRN Composite -- 20 thumb minimum 54 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 6 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 6 minutes ago
- › Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 9 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › NWT Stone Island TORTOISE SHELL OVD Trousers | Size:30 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories