I'm referring to the bottom of the shoe. Sorry for not being clear about that.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 10/11/16 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 850post #12737 of 7073711/28/12 at 11:15ampost #12738 of 7073711/28/12 at 11:19amQuote:Originally Posted by BootSpell
Pictures will get you in trouble!! Did you get the waxy brown or the dark brown? Either is a great choice. And $195?? That's way crazy! I think I paid $270 when they were on sale last month. I'm just not crazy about the grey ones. Well, I guess they're okay but I think I'd find them not versatile enough. The Long Branches are a great boot to just kick about in. Most of my boots have leather soles so these are great when the weather's not so good. Hope you really enjoy them.
I would jump on those Brantley's if they were available today.
I got the waxy brown, same as yours. I was surprised by the price as well. They were already marked down to $275.00, and the Jeffersonville, Ohio outlet was willing to give me an additional 30% off for Black Friday. What you are describing is pretty much what I intend them for (jeans on weeknights/weekends during fall and winter, or maybe for work if it is going to be very wet). I wear chinos to work every day, so they should be fine for wet work days IMO. I agree on the grey ones as well. No offense to anyone who gets them, but up close in person the grain has a strange appearance to me. It's hard to put your finger on it, but it almost doesn't quite look like leather. The grey Aberdeen and McTavish are the same way. They are almost synthetic looking in their appearance (which you can't tell from the photos).post #12739 of 7073711/28/12 at 11:21ampost #12740 of 7073711/28/12 at 11:25amQuote:Originally Posted by jch1
I know that my question isn’t completely relevant in this thread, but this is really the only one I frequent here on SF, so I figured I’d post here as well. I have a pair of Paul Stuart Stuart’s choice shoes which are crafted by Grenson to their Masterpiece standards. It appears as if the sole of the shoes have some sort of soft, fabric-like top layer which is now wearing away. Does anybody know how to describe this properly? Are there any cobblers in Chicago, or anywhere for that matter, who can resole shoes to include this feature? I plan on contacting the store I purchased them from as well, just wanted to see if anybody had thoughts on SF.
You may need to post some pictures of that. I haven't ever seen this either, and an internet search didn't really bring up much. My first impulse, however, is to say that you will not be able to have a local cobbler replicate that. It is probably some sort of special concept thought up by Paul Stuart to make them different. Can you send them back to Grenson?post #12741 of 7073711/28/12 at 12:17pm
How versatile are the black McAllisters? I wanted the merlot originally but it looks like I can get a good deal on the black pair. What do you guys think of the black wingtip? As far as suits I have a classic grey and a dark navy suit.post #12742 of 7073711/28/12 at 12:27pmQuote:
You really won't find much love in these threads for black wingtips. They are as heavy on the broguing as you can get, which puts them amongst the most casual dress shoes. However, black balmorals are considered most formal. So they sort of cancel each other out, which makes them not really fit a wardrobe niche very well. Not to mention that the broguing is hard to appreciate because the darkness of the black makes it hard to see as well. The merlot is far more versatile if you can overlook the savings you are seeing on the black pair.post #12743 of 7073711/28/12 at 12:36pmpost #12744 of 7073711/28/12 at 12:38pmpost #12745 of 7073711/28/12 at 12:46pmQuote:
I'll confess, they look good in the pictures. My only experience with a black brogue was when I tried on the Strand in black (only for fitting purposes, because they didn't have my size in walnut), and I really didn't like how they looked on my feet. I think that an exception to what I said above is if you have regular needs for black shoes, or if if you have all of your bases covered with other shoes, then these may be fine to have so that you can throw in some variety. However, if you are looking for a versatile shoe when building a young collection, there are better options.post #12746 of 7073711/28/12 at 12:49pmQuote:
Unfortunately, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think I was extremely lucky with the find I posted above. I think the grey ones are at that price because they aren't selling and they are trying to unload them, otherwise $200.00 is an extremely low price for a boot. $275.00 for seconds is probably as good as it will get for a while unless you can combine that with another sale offer like I did.post #12747 of 7073711/28/12 at 1:00pmpost #12748 of 7073711/28/12 at 1:05pmQuote:
You can still get it through Land's End. http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-bayfield-captoe-boots~228873_-1.htmlpost #12749 of 7073711/28/12 at 1:12pmpost #12750 of 7073711/28/12 at 1:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
I am in no way affiliated with Allen Edmonds.
I did a search here and nothing came up, so I would like all those who enjoy their Allen Edmonds shoes to participate in this thread.
With respect to the rich boys here, this thread is for the rest of us, to also enjoy our shoes too.
As most men in North America (if not the world) cannot afford to buy Alden and up,
we do have our own 'High End' shoe options; that being primarily Allen Edmonds.
I would respectfully request that no one make silly, immature or negative commentary on this thread. (Plenty enough of that on other threads ad nauseum.)
There is a great thread over at AAAC of one of their members' visit to the Allen Edmonds factory this year (2009)
The thread is titled My Trip to Allen Edmonds a.k.a. The CEO Factory Tour
Link is here >> http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=95708
Please take the time to browse through the 5 pages on that thread. I am sure there is something for everyone, in particular some 'sneak previews' of AE's 2010 Spring lineup.
Some of those models I think may even win over some of the 'hard-boiled' anti-AE souls on here.
Sample photo of AE 2010 Spring Releases (courtesy of AAAC member gman-17)
I personally own over a dozen pair of AE's, and though I occasionally drool over Lobbs (etc),
I have to be practical in my spending, and there is no other company that can give the same quality for the price, than AE. (2nd runner-up to the Florsheim Kenmoor)
Discussion & photos of your favourite Allen Edmonds shoes is requested.
Discussion of all things positive is encouraged. Please share your favourite AE's with us.
What do you like on your favourite models? etc. whether old or newer models.
To those who do not like /suppport AE product, thank you for -not- participating in this threadIs this in any way related to the Edmonson Blog?
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other... 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 10 minutes ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 10 minutes ago
- › Suit tailor in Kuala Lumpur 18 minutes ago
- › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking... 20 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 20 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones Bradford Cordovan Dark Brown 10E UK 20 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 22 minutes ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 23 minutes ago
- › Malaysian bespoke 29 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...