Those look great. Nice winter weather boot!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/31/17 at 1:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 9:58 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 738post #11057 of 7073710/13/12 at 6:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by jch1
Further, will the difference between full and split toes really have a substantial effect on the shoes? There's nothing wrong with this, but I've noticed people appear to be becoming more and more concerned with things that aren't really all that important. Just wear, take care, and be happy!Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
I have had experience with both as well. I have to say that I prefer the full toe trees on my AE models. I think that there is a misconception that the tree has to fill up every last bit of the shoe. It doesn't. It just needs to take up the majority of the space, be large enough to straighten out the shoe and keep it from bowing up, and smooth out the creases on the toe. My experience with the combination trees is that they are a bit more finnicky and sometimes don't fully expand within the shoe, which isn't a problem with the full toe trees. I remember someone saying that they didn't think the full toe trees are not as good with 7 lasted shoes as well, but they seem great on my Sanfords.
I find it just be very shoe-specific as to which trees fit best, assuming you're not getting lasted trees designed for that exact shoe. I like the full toe trees, but sometimes they won't fit. And the split-toes are finicky, as well. So I've ended up with an assortment.
My experience has been that split-toes are good for loafers, as they are usually narrower, and boots, as I often can't get the full toe trees to fit. But I like to use the full toe trees when I can.
Better to have trees than no trees. And I think don't sweat exact fit too much, as long as you aren't damaging the shoes with them.post #11058 of 7073710/13/12 at 6:43pmpost #11059 of 7073710/13/12 at 9:34pmpost #11060 of 7073710/13/12 at 9:44pmpost #11061 of 7073710/13/12 at 9:47pmpost #11062 of 7073710/14/12 at 2:32ampost #11063 of 7073710/14/12 at 5:55am
The Strand, Kenilworth, Larchmont, Flatiron, and Neumora in bourbon calf become available starting tomorrow according to the AE Fall supplement catalog. Not sure if that date will still hold, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new bourbon color looks in the wild! Might just have to get a new pair of Strand's or Larchmont's.post #11064 of 7073710/14/12 at 7:08ampost #11065 of 7073710/14/12 at 7:55amQuote:
Today is your lucky day!post #11066 of 7073710/14/12 at 8:03amQuote:Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Mario, I'm glad you threw this out there. I think all this talk and asking for advice about sizing and stretching in general is mostly nonsense and probably leading people in a bad direction.
People should get their feet properly measured and default to that shoe size, unless recommended specifically by the manufacturer (e.g..: this last always runs 1/2 small). If you have to mess around with the sizing, then the shoe is just not right for your foot. Sizing up or down in length or width just creates other problems. This is one of the reasons AE makes different lasts - to accommodate different foot types.
And if CXL stretched so much as to change the sizing, do you think reputable manufactures like AE would be using it, or at least not giving out advice?
Seriously, all these gyrations are way out of hand. They will only lead people to trouble.Quote:
the sizing advice given by SF Affiliate Oak Street Bootmakers for their CXL shoes says to account for a fair bit of stretching due to the leather.post #11067 of 7073710/14/12 at 8:19amQuote:Originally Posted by Jigg
Today is your lucky day!
Wow, should have been careful what I wished for. There goes my money in the next sale.
How are the combination soles?post #11068 of 7073710/14/12 at 8:42amQuote:
I've only worn the LB's once but I can tell you that they are extremely comfortable (expectedly more than the leather-soled Daltons) and I know that I will get great use out of them. Keep them!post #11069 of 7073710/14/12 at 8:54amQuote:
I have the combination sole on my Cronmoks and I prefer it over the leather sole because they are much more durable in wet weather. If I'm ever caught in the rain in my leather soled AEs without my Swims, I can always count on the water seeping through the leather outsole and into the insole. I at least feel a bit more protected with the combination tap sole.post #11070 of 7073710/14/12 at 8:55am
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 3 minutes ago
- › How would you style this? 5 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 7 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 13 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 19 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 21 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 27 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 29 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 31 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway