• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie, large shoes, need opinions...

jsorel

Reaction score
I am new here and I just want to thank everyone for posting. I came across lots of good info, tips and ideas on this website.

After reading many threads, I still have some questions. My new job's office dress code is "business casual." In the field, suits are required occasionally, depending on clients. Since I am very tall, I have a hard time finding anything that fits. I wanted to ask you guys for opinions about shoes. Coats and ties are not required for office days, but button down shirts are. Originally, I intended on getting 2 pairs of decent shoes that I could wear all the time. I narrowed the choices down to AE PAs (come in 16s) and JM Meltons (come in 16s). I was looking to get a black pair and a burgundy or darker brown pair. I doubt that I'll be able to find many used pairs because of my size, so I'd probably have to pay retail (a very common scenario). I have somewhat limited budget, but I don't mind buying a good quality. I would wear dress pants and dress shirts to work.

1. Would either pair be an overkill for the business casual days (more than 2/3 of the time)?

2. Would it make more sense to buy more expensive (hopefully better quality) PAs in dark brown/merlot and to get less expensive Meltons in black? (to avoid getting two more expensive pairs and perhaps get another pair for office days only).

3. What other shoes could I wear on office days w/o standing out too much (no pan intended)?

I realize that I shouldn't wear the same pair back to back.

Thank you guys very much.

hth2002

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsorel
I am new here and I just want to thank everyone for posting. I came across lots of good info, tips and ideas on this website. After reading many threads, I still have some questions. My new job's office dress code is "business casual." In the field, suits are required occasionally, depending on clients. Since I am very tall, I have a hard time finding anything that fits. I wanted to ask you guys for opinions about shoes. Coats and ties are not required for office days, but button down shirts are. Originally, I intended on getting 2 pairs of decent shoes that I could wear all the time. I narrowed the choices down to AE PAs (come in 16s) and JM Meltons (come in 16s). I was looking to get a black pair and a burgundy or darker brown pair. I doubt that I'll be able to find many used pairs because of my size, so I'd probably have to pay retail (a very common scenario). I have somewhat limited budget, but I don't mind buying a good quality. I would wear dress pants and dress shirts to work. 1. Would either pair be an overkill for the business casual days (more than 2/3 of the time)? 2. Would it make more sense to buy more expensive (hopefully better quality) PAs in dark brown/merlot and to get less expensive Meltons in black? (to avoid getting two more expensive pairs and perhaps get another pair for office days only). 3. What other shoes could I wear on office days w/o standing out too much (no pan intended)? I realize that I shouldn't wear the same pair back to back. Thank you guys very much.
1) Both shoes would be overkill in black for business casual. I think you need one very formal shoe for suit days, and 2 shoes for office days to rotate every other day. 2) Either shoe in black would be too formal in my opinion. Brown or Burgundy for both. Or you can get them in black and an extra pair for office days only like you said. 3) What does everybody else wear for shoes? If they are wearing boat shoes, then you don't want to be wearing balmorals and bluchers. If you want to save money on the Allen Edmonds shoes, email or call the Allen Edmonds Shoe Banks with your shoe size and width for the discontinued and seconds(shoes with minor imperfections that aren't noticed usually) for sale. They will email , then you can google the discontinued shoes to see what they look like. Prices will be $100-179 for most shoes. The longer a shoe stays in the inventory, the larger the discount. Port Washington, WI (Larger than the Mequon location) http://www.allenedmonds.com/mens/all...ington-1.shtml Mequon, WI http://www.allenedmonds.com/mens/all...n-mequon.shtml [email protected] If you want to get a 20% discount right now, you can go to Jos A Banks store. Ask them about the 20% corporate discount. Call first, because some locations do not carry Allen Edmonds shoes. If nobody carries the AE shoes, you can order the shoes through their Allen Edmonds catalog at the store. They can deliver it to the store for $5. If you try them on and don't like the fit, return it there. It's also safer to deliver it the store than your home, if you are concerned with mail theft. I am not a shoe expert, so please disregard everything I said also.
smile.gif
I have only started buying Allen Edmonds recently. I have been wearing cheap beaters from DSW for the last year.

jsorel

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the links and the information about their outlet stores. I ended up visiting one of the AE shoe bank stores in WI today and had a great experience. I was able to find PAs (black and Merlot) in 16s, which fit really well, and also Delreys (chili and brown). They were seconds, so the price was lower and additionally all the shoes in their store were $35 off. I went from owning a pair of silly kenneth coles to having 4 solid pairs of shoes. It didn't stop there. When I got home, I came across Cliftons on Amazon for $136. My wife approved the purchase given that they only had 1 pair left in my size (16s). I am very happy. I rarely find deals in my size.

An HR person said dress pants and button-down shirts were appropriate (no coat or tie). What's the general consensus for PA's (brown or merlot) with such attire?

Thanks.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PAs with wool trousers and a dress shirt will work nicely. In the colder months throw on a sweater. The purchase isn't complete without matching straps and shoe trees. Keeping your shoes treed and boxed will extend their lifespan significantly.

hth2002

Reaction score
That's awesome! Now that you have great shoes, be sure to get shoe trees for every pair. Put them in shoe trees, when you get home. Shoes shouldn't be worn on consecutive days, or the uppers will wear out and develop excessive creasing. Shoe polish as needed. It can get addicting to polish them up and admire the beauty of newly shined shoes. Be careful, don't make your wife jealous of the shoes.
laugh.gif
I would polish each shoe before wearing them. It's good to soften the leather and protect the uppers with a coating of polish. Full brogued balmorals, bluchers, and slip-ons are usually more appropiate for shirt and trousers only, but everybody has their own style. Most people will probably not care. The merlot PA are less formal than the black, so it may work.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd the above...I think AE Park Avenues are a great choice, particularly in black, for a business casual dress code. Plus, they'll be incredibly versatile if/when you need to wear a full suit.

My 2 cents regarding getting a second pair of AE in lieu of the J&M--do it. I'm not sure if there was a particular reason you wanted to get one pair of AE and a second, likely, cheaper pair, but shoes are certainly an investment item and if you're just starting out with work attire, I think you'd be well served to invest in a second pair of AE in the brown/burgundy color you've talked about.

That's not to say that J&M would be a bad choice, but I bought my first pair of AE some three years ago and they're still going strong--I doubt you'd get the same longevity with J&M though my opinion is based on second hand (from the forums) accounts of their quality. Hope that helps.

EDIT: Just saw your second post--congrats on your finds! I love my Delrays.

jsorel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
PAs with wool trousers and a dress shirt will work nicely. In the colder months throw on a sweater.

The purchase isn't complete without matching straps and shoe trees. Keeping your shoes treed and boxed will extend their lifespan significantly.

Thank you. I did end up buying trees and matching belts.

Originally Posted by hth2002

Full brogued balmorals, bluchers, and slip-ons are usually more appropiate for shirt and trousers only, but everybody has their own style. Most people will probably not care. The merlot PA are less formal than the black, so it may work.

Soon, I will find out what everyone wears and I really hope I can wear my brown shoes as well as my merlot PAs and thus avoid buying a pair of black bluchers (for now at least).

Originally Posted by superego
I love my Delrays.

I like them too. I realize my shoes are big (16s), but they look very proportional. I think they are very versatile shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads