or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Differentiating real from fake mother of pearl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Differentiating real from fake mother of pearl - Page 2

post #16 of 32
MOP or other? Can you tell from the photos? I did the click test and compared to RLPL shirt buttons and am still unsure...


post #17 of 32
Uh, Kent, I hope this isn't your subtle way of suggesting that you'll be issuing a recall on your MOP cufflinks.
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLlikes View Post
MOP or other? Can you tell from the photos? I did the click test and compared to RLPL shirt buttons and am still unsure...



It's hard to tell from photos.
post #19 of 32
To clarify, the cuff links I posted are from Brooks Bros clearance center, not from Kent.
post #20 of 32
Thread Starter 
Yes, those are not ours. Compare our antique Japanese MOP cuff links.



I noticed that the rings on yours are not soldered shut. They might pull apart and separate after some wear.

I find clicking the buttons against each other to be the most reliable way of telling. Maybe your BB shirts aren't MOP either?
post #21 of 32
I don't think they look like MOP but i'm not shure. If you bite them, it sould not only feel hard but rather like if you were biting a stone. There is a vast difference in feel to a plastic button.
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post
Maybe your BB shirts aren't MOP either?

The links are BB, the shirt buttons to which I compared them are RL Purple Label.

I like the idea of soldering the rings shut. A bohemian glass set of links that I got from you suffered the pulling apart fate. Good to know that you are now soldering them.

Nice antique Japanese MOP cuff links, by the way.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
Tiger, what do you mean by "click"?
It's about the sound when performing the bite test.
He means "click"=MOP as opposed to "clack"=plastic. Trust me, it works 100%.
post #24 of 32
Thread Starter 
I've never had good success with the bite test. Plus it's a little awkward to do this in a store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLlikes View Post
I like the idea of soldering the rings shut. A bohemian glass set of links that I got from you suffered the pulling apart fate. Good to know that you are now soldering them.
Sorry to hear about this. All of our cuff links are soldered shut. Perhaps the solder failed. Please send them back for repair and I will compensate you for shipping. Please email me at sales@kentwang.com to arrange this.
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post
Sorry to hear about this. All of our cuff links are soldered shut. Perhaps the solder failed. Please send them back for repair and I will compensate you for shipping. Please email me at sales@kentwang.com to arrange this.

As I recall, I got these from you when you had just switched from the elastic string attachments to the metal links. Here they are:





I ordered 3 squares from you over the weekend. I'll send these cuff links back to you later this week.
post #26 of 32
Just updating this to reaffirm that Kent is a true gentleman. There should be no doubt that he takes care of his customers. He sent me an email this afternoon saying he will replace the broken link cufflinks at no charge. Above and beyond expectations! Thanks again Kent - no doubt you will get more of my business in the future!

As for my BB cufflinks, I'll try clicking them together to see if the sound is any different than with buttons that I know to be true mop.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLlikes View Post
MOP or other? Can you tell from the photos? I did the click test and compared to RLPL shirt buttons and am still unsure...
Just hold them up against your lips, Mother-of-pearl will feel cool while plastic will feel the same temperature as the room you are in.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax View Post
Just hold them up against your lips, Mother-of-pearl will feel cool while plastic will feel the same temperature as the room you are in.
Yeah. You don't need to click and clack and tap and rub.
post #29 of 32
I usually just hold the buttons up to the light. Plastic will have uniform coloration and reflectivity while mother of pearl has more variation.
post #30 of 32
the "cool to the touch" test works best for me. The "click" and bite test dont really tell me anything
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Differentiating real from fake mother of pearl