• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key word is fit, not slim/skinny.

It looks bad when everyone, from hipsters to the obese, attempt to sausage themselves into a slim fitting garment that just looks awkward and juvenile. I heard some dumbass ask if the down coat is slim fitting. I hope he freezes.

Bellison

Reaction score
it's not flattering for fat people to wear tight/very fitted clothes--that's obvious. But slim looks great on people with fit bodies. Not every man in America is 5'9", 250 pounds.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will agree that the fit dosen't work for everybody but looks great on most men. I do not like the skinny style as far as lapels and ties go but as far as fit I do.

Mr.P

Reaction score
Yes and no. I myself am quite thin, so anything that does not have, as you say, a 'slim' look will appear to be baggy on me. So, for me, and many people like me, 'slim-fit' clothes are simply clothes that fit, as opposed to clothes that look like a tent.

However, I agree that there is a trend of wearing clothes that are slim beyond fitting well. I am not one to endorse men wearing skin-hugging jeans and t-shirts that look like they were made for pre-adolescent girls. But I would be equally appalled by someone with a slim physique wearing a shirt that, when tucked in, droops down his legs because of the amount of excess fabric on it.

Everything should be exercised in moderation. Italian tailoring has always been slimmer than English tailoring, but it still fits well. It complements the physique. You seem to be associating the term slim-fit with the aforementioned skin-tight jean-clad youths, which is a gross generalisation.

Originally Posted by intent
The key word is fit, not slim/skinny.

The word 'fit' doesn't actually describe anything. It simply implies that a piece of clothing fits its wearer. But people have different physiques, which is why companies adopt the terms 'slim-fit', 'petite' (for women), and 'big and tall'.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see where you're going. I agree that a slim look is best left to slim builds

But there are certainly style tricks to slim down your appearance without looking foolish, which I don't consider trendy

Stuff like accentuating vertical lines, proper tie knots, waist suppression, etc are elements that should never go out of style

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.P
Yes and no. I myself am quite thin, so anything that does not have, as you say, a 'slim' look will appear to be baggy on me. So, for me, and many people like me, 'slim-fit' clothes are simply clothes that fit, as opposed to clothes that look like a tent.

However, I agree that there is a trend of wearing clothes that are slim beyond fitting well. I am not one to endorse men wearing skin-hugging jeans and t-shirts that look like they were made for pre-adolescent girls. But I would be equally appalled by someone with a slim physique wearing a shirt that, when tucked in, droops down his legs because of the amount of excess fabric on it.

Everything should be exercised in moderation. Italian tailoring has always been slimmer than English tailoring, but it still fits well. It complements the physique. You seem to be associating the term slim-fit with the aforementioned skin-tight jean-clad youths, which is a gross generalisation.

+1 I agree with all of this. I'm a thin guy, so even slim fit can be too big. There is also an important distinction between something that fits and something that is tight. Tight clothes, particularly on men, are unattractive, but I find shirts that look like someone is wrapped in a parachute to be equally as off-putting, albeit in a different way.

billsayers

Reaction score
I still like the slim-fitting trend. It only looks foolish if people who are not naturally thin try to wear it.

However, there is a big difference between slim-fitting and too small/tight. If your clothes prevent freedom of movement, you should consider sizing up.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sure am tired of people complaining about it.

Modern Gatsby

Reaction score
Somebody is just mad they can't wear the slim clothes. Go to the gym...

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.P

This.

Sometimes I'm a little annoyed by the trend, but I love that there are so many more slim options in menswear. It's nice that Brooks Bros. and other shirt makers are finally starting to slim down their shirts.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
I fully support the slim fit / look.
20 years of baggy crap clothes is enough.
It's time for the fat bodies to get off the computer, off the sofa, out of fast food joints and into the swimming pools & health clubs.
No mercy. This ofcourse includes myself.
shog[1].gif
fat is not sexy and is not healthy.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Slim fit is more flattering for me given that I'm slim; however, I avoid ultra slim fits.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27

+1
i find it funny that it is always the fatter people who complain about trends for slim people. never vice versa.
i am not slim, i am fat currently , but when i get a chance to be slim, i would wear only slim. it is not a trend and it is very good looking that is why it is so popular. just eat less and get slimmed.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27

/thread

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modern Gatsby
Somebody is just mad they can't wear the slim clothes. Go to the gym...
You don't know what I look like, junior. I'm against skinny lapels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads