or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?

post #1 of 162
Thread Starter 
The key word is fit, not slim/skinny.

It looks bad when everyone, from hipsters to the obese, attempt to sausage themselves into a slim fitting garment that just looks awkward and juvenile. I heard some dumbass ask if the down coat is slim fitting. I hope he freezes.
post #2 of 162
it's not flattering for fat people to wear tight/very fitted clothes--that's obvious. But slim looks great on people with fit bodies. Not every man in America is 5'9", 250 pounds.
post #3 of 162
I will agree that the fit dosen't work for everybody but looks great on most men. I do not like the skinny style as far as lapels and ties go but as far as fit I do.
post #4 of 162
Yes and no. I myself am quite thin, so anything that does not have, as you say, a 'slim' look will appear to be baggy on me. So, for me, and many people like me, 'slim-fit' clothes are simply clothes that fit, as opposed to clothes that look like a tent.

However, I agree that there is a trend of wearing clothes that are slim beyond fitting well. I am not one to endorse men wearing skin-hugging jeans and t-shirts that look like they were made for pre-adolescent girls. But I would be equally appalled by someone with a slim physique wearing a shirt that, when tucked in, droops down his legs because of the amount of excess fabric on it.

Everything should be exercised in moderation. Italian tailoring has always been slimmer than English tailoring, but it still fits well. It complements the physique. You seem to be associating the term slim-fit with the aforementioned skin-tight jean-clad youths, which is a gross generalisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
The key word is fit, not slim/skinny.

The word 'fit' doesn't actually describe anything. It simply implies that a piece of clothing fits its wearer. But people have different physiques, which is why companies adopt the terms 'slim-fit', 'petite' (for women), and 'big and tall'.
post #5 of 162
I can see where you're going. I agree that a slim look is best left to slim builds

But there are certainly style tricks to slim down your appearance without looking foolish, which I don't consider trendy

Stuff like accentuating vertical lines, proper tie knots, waist suppression, etc are elements that should never go out of style
post #6 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Yes and no. I myself am quite thin, so anything that does not have, as you say, a 'slim' look will appear to be baggy on me. So, for me, and many people like me, 'slim-fit' clothes are simply clothes that fit, as opposed to clothes that look like a tent.

However, I agree that there is a trend of wearing clothes that are slim beyond fitting well. I am not one to endorse men wearing skin-hugging jeans and t-shirts that look like they were made for pre-adolescent girls. But I would be equally appalled by someone with a slim physique wearing a shirt that, when tucked in, droops down his legs because of the amount of excess fabric on it.

Everything should be exercised in moderation. Italian tailoring has always been slimmer than English tailoring, but it still fits well. It complements the physique. You seem to be associating the term slim-fit with the aforementioned skin-tight jean-clad youths, which is a gross generalisation.

+1 I agree with all of this. I'm a thin guy, so even slim fit can be too big. There is also an important distinction between something that fits and something that is tight. Tight clothes, particularly on men, are unattractive, but I find shirts that look like someone is wrapped in a parachute to be equally as off-putting, albeit in a different way.
post #7 of 162
I still like the slim-fitting trend. It only looks foolish if people who are not naturally thin try to wear it.

However, there is a big difference between slim-fitting and too small/tight. If your clothes prevent freedom of movement, you should consider sizing up.
post #8 of 162
I sure am tired of people complaining about it.
post #9 of 162
Somebody is just mad they can't wear the slim clothes. Go to the gym...
post #10 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Yes and no. I myself am quite thin, so anything that does not have, as you say, a 'slim' look will appear to be baggy on me. So, for me, and many people like me, 'slim-fit' clothes are simply clothes that fit, as opposed to clothes that look like a tent.

This.

Sometimes I'm a little annoyed by the trend, but I love that there are so many more slim options in menswear. It's nice that Brooks Bros. and other shirt makers are finally starting to slim down their shirts.
post #11 of 162
I fully support the slim fit / look.
20 years of baggy crap clothes is enough.
It's time for the fat bodies to get off the computer, off the sofa, out of fast food joints and into the swimming pools & health clubs.
No mercy. This ofcourse includes myself. fat is not sexy and is not healthy.
post #12 of 162
Slim fit is more flattering for me given that I'm slim; however, I avoid ultra slim fits.
post #13 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy27 View Post
I sure am tired of people complaining about it.

+1
i find it funny that it is always the fatter people who complain about trends for slim people. never vice versa.
i am not slim, i am fat currently , but when i get a chance to be slim, i would wear only slim. it is not a trend and it is very good looking that is why it is so popular. just eat less and get slimmed.
post #14 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy27 View Post
I sure am tired of people complaining about it.

/thread
post #15 of 162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Gatsby View Post
Somebody is just mad they can't wear the slim clothes. Go to the gym...
You don't know what I look like, junior. I'm against skinny lapels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?