or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What ball-point pens are we using?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What ball-point pens are we using? - Page 2

post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Yes, but lever fillers make great squirtguns!

Haha! I remember that. We would get in lots of trouble for having fountain pen fights. The nuns would slap us around. We used to ask them why we couldn't use ballpoints like the kids at the public schools. They would usually quip back that ballpoints were for Protestants, and hence barbaric, or something like that.

M8
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Haha! I remember that. We would get in lots of trouble for having fountain pen fights. The nuns would slap us around. We used to ask them why we couldn't use ballpoints like the kids at the public schools. They would usually quip back that ballpoints were for Protestants, and hence barbaric, or something like that.

M8

No wonder you went over to the dark side.
post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike

Rotring makes excellent pens/pencils.

koji
post #19 of 68
I have a Montblanc Meisterstuck Classic Platinum Fountain Pen That is actually my girlfriend's pen, but she gave it to me since she doesn't use it. I also have some Pilot G2's that I stuck Montblanc Rollerball ink refills into. The ink is much better and the cost of the G2+MB refill (a couple dollars each) is hard to beat.
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl
I have a Montblanc Meisterstuck Classic Platinum Fountain Pen


That is actually my girlfriend's pen, but she gave it to me since she doesn't use it.

I also have some Pilot G2's that I stuck Montblanc Rollerball ink refills into. The ink is much better and the cost of the G2+MB refill (a couple dollars each) is hard to beat.

They came out with a limited edition Chopin fountain pen that I was drooling over in the catalogue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mont-Blanc-Frede...QQcmdZViewItem

koji
post #21 of 68
my mother in law gave me my mont blanc. she gives me the best gifts, which makes me hate her all the more - because now when I use it I have to think of her.
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
my mother in law gave me my mont blanc. she gives me the best gifts, which makes me hate her all the more - because now when I use it I have to think of her.

Oh, but you know that's why she did it. They're diabolical, those mothers-in-law.
post #23 of 68
I use a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck rollerball at home. When I am out though, I use my beloved Bic Crystal ballpoints. For a cheap pen, they write very well (much better than the regular white Bic pens...I don't know why, they should write the same, but don't) I tend to lose pens so I don't dare take my Mont Blanc out of the house. I got it at a gunshow for 60 bucks. (I only use black ink...blue ink is for chumps!)
post #24 of 68
A habituation to disposable pens makes you prone to losing the precious ones.

If you make a habit of using only valuable things, you will never lose them.
post #25 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
A habituation to disposable pens makes you prone to losing the precious ones. If you make a habit of using only valuable things, you will never lose them.
Well put, and applicable to not only pens. I intend on picking up a fountain pen once the budget allows. For now, there are many other things to buy.
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
my mother in law gave me my mont blanc. she gives me the best gifts, which makes me hate her all the more - because now when I use it I have to think of her.

Yeah, I have to put up with my mother-in-law too

But considering what I get to do to her daughter, I guess it's okay!

M8
post #27 of 68
This is the rollerball I use most often. It's a nice pen, with good heft, and a relatively inexpensive pricetag.

post #28 of 68
Some of us are left-handed and thus unable to get the knack of using fountain pens

I carry a Cross Ion Gel Pen in my front pocket...

http://www.cross.com/Catalog/PenDeta...k%20Rollerball

Other than that, I have many nice pens that I have received as gifts over the years, so I just tend to grab whatever is handy.
post #29 of 68
Okay pen geeks, what makes a "gel pen" then? Thank you for explaining why I hate cheap ballpoint pens (I knew I hated them, didn't know why). You forgot to mention the smell of those cheap Bics. Yuck. I have tried using fountain pens and couldn't get used to it, though I didn't give it much of a try, and also got a pen and ink set as a kid with different colors of Windsor & Newton ink. I remember those bottles being really cool.



My favorite pen for everyday use is a Sanford Uniball Gel Grip, medium black. Writes very smoothly, thick enough to be comfortable, ink doesn't smudge once dry.
post #30 of 68
I have a vintage Parker that I found in a pocket of an old suit at a thrift store. Nothing too fancy, but cooler than the average white Bic pen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What ball-point pens are we using?