Related Forum Threads
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! Last post on 5/5/12 at 7:39am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BNWT Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Shirts - Size BB1 and BB2 Last post on 12/8/11 at 9:37pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Most under $25 Last post on 2/14/12 at 6:53pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Brooks Brothers - What to buy? What to avoid? Last post on 8/3/14 at 10:46am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:09 pm in Classic Menswear
The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Knitwear
Last edited: 11/11/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts - Page 39
Styleforum Top Pickspost #572 of 63311/5/12 at 2:01pmQuote:
CPaul, I'm about 6'2" and 180-185lbs. I'd say my build is "average"; not particularly big in the chest/arms/legs, but not stick thin either. The 16/36 ESF shirt I'm wearing now fits great, although I wouldn't want it any smaller. If there is a BB store near you, they should have ESF "tester" shirts that you can try on to check out the fit. That's what I did. If not, you could always take a guess, and return the order if it's off.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I think the shirts are short enough to wear untucked, although this may be a matter of personal preference. Some may find the back a tad too long to wear untucked, but I think it would work.
One other odd thing I noticed; the fabric of one of the shirts feels different than the other two. All three are non-iron, but the fabric of one of the shirts feels lighter and softer, while the other two feel a little heavier and "crisper". I wondered if the lighter shirt was actually a "must iron" that had been improperly tagged, but after a preliminary washing, I can confirm that it's also non-iron.post #573 of 63311/5/12 at 2:36pmpost #574 of 63311/7/12 at 11:56amQuote:
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I agree that they would probably look better without it, but on the flip side, the barrel cuffs fit a lot better (i.e. more snugly) than many of the other OTR shirts I've tried.post #575 of 63311/7/12 at 7:13pmpost #576 of 6331/12/13 at 10:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Firefox
Finally got my shirts. They fit great, even after a washing. My only complaints are the absence of a plackett button (which is strange, since even lower-quality dress shirts usually have one) and the laundry tag on the bottom front (it's short enough that I could almost get away with wearing it untucked as a casual shirt). But in terms of fit, it's pretty much the best I've tried to date. No bagginess around the arms or waist, which has always been my biggest beef, and the sleeves are the perfect length.
Now, if only the local store had a better selection of ESF shirts. After shipping and customs duties, I actually paid more than I would have in-store. I wonder if the store can order in patterns/sizes that they don't have in stock...
How much were the duties (as a percentage of purchase price) when you ordered from BB online? The stores in TO don't carry my size, I hoped they'd be able to order to the store so I could avoid duties, no such luck. Ordered two 16.5-37 shirts this morning. I'll post my impressions if anyone in the over 6'5" crowd is interested.post #577 of 6331/17/13 at 7:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by UrsusREX
How much were the duties (as a percentage of purchase price) when you ordered from BB online? The stores in TO don't carry my size, I hoped they'd be able to order to the store so I could avoid duties, no such luck. Ordered two 16.5-37 shirts this morning. I'll post my impressions if anyone in the over 6'5" crowd is interested.
It was pretty brutal. The cost of the actual merchandise was about $186 US. The total fees came to $77.53 (!). That consisted of $37.21 of customs duties (since the shirts are made overseas) and $29.02 HST. Topping it off was a FedEx "rod fee" of $11.30 (including HST), which is essentially a FedEx "FU" fee for not having a customs account.
If one were to buy made-in-North America stuff, they would likely avoid the customs. And the rod fee can be avoided if you have a FedEx shipping account. But otherwise, it's prohibitively expensive. And I guess that's why the Canadian BB retail store can charge higher prices even with the dollar at par.post #578 of 6331/17/13 at 9:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by UrsusREX
How much were the duties (as a percentage of purchase price) when you ordered from BB online? The stores in TO don't carry my size, I hoped they'd be able to order to the store so I could avoid duties, no such luck. Ordered two 16.5-37 shirts this morning. I'll post my impressions if anyone in the over 6'5" crowd is interested.Hmm this is very interesting me to that they could not bring in what you wanted.....That was actually the very FIRST thing I was told when I went into the store here in Vancouver. I was looking for a couple specific pants, and was told by the employee helping me that anything I find that I wanted online, just let him know, and he will bring it in so I don't have to pay any duties, he was very aware of how brutal they were. Odd that your store won't do the same....post #579 of 6331/20/13 at 7:20pmpost #580 of 6331/20/13 at 7:27pmQuote:
Dress shirt oxford may be more refined, with a finer weave and a luster. Sport Shit Oxfords are usually brown and smell pretty badly. Can often stain your skin and the interior of your suits, also causing them to become brown and smelly.
I'd recommend Dress Shirt for sure.post #581 of 6333/7/13 at 6:35pmpost #582 of 6333/10/13 at 1:52amQuote:
they are completely different fits. if you like ESF you will not like Slim fit. i think the difference in body and arms are like 2"!post #583 of 6333/20/13 at 8:50pmpost #584 of 6333/21/13 at 9:20am
- Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts
Styleforum Top Picks
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 20 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 3 minutes ago
- › Cleanout! Drake's, Panta, Bigi et al. Ties (and some squares) 8 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 14 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 15 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...