Related Forum Threads
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! Last post on 5/5/12 at 7:39am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BNWT Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Shirts - Size BB1 and BB2 Last post on 12/8/11 at 9:37pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Most under $25 Last post on 2/14/12 at 6:53pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Brooks Brothers - What to buy? What to avoid? Last post on 1/7/14 at 11:42am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SWEATERS, ETC - Tons of Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! - Updated 7/23 Last post on 4/28/14 at 6:48pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12
Last edited: 1/4/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts - Page 39
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #572 of 63011/5/12 at 2:01pmQuote:
CPaul, I'm about 6'2" and 180-185lbs. I'd say my build is "average"; not particularly big in the chest/arms/legs, but not stick thin either. The 16/36 ESF shirt I'm wearing now fits great, although I wouldn't want it any smaller. If there is a BB store near you, they should have ESF "tester" shirts that you can try on to check out the fit. That's what I did. If not, you could always take a guess, and return the order if it's off.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I think the shirts are short enough to wear untucked, although this may be a matter of personal preference. Some may find the back a tad too long to wear untucked, but I think it would work.
One other odd thing I noticed; the fabric of one of the shirts feels different than the other two. All three are non-iron, but the fabric of one of the shirts feels lighter and softer, while the other two feel a little heavier and "crisper". I wondered if the lighter shirt was actually a "must iron" that had been improperly tagged, but after a preliminary washing, I can confirm that it's also non-iron.post #573 of 63011/5/12 at 2:36pmpost #574 of 63011/7/12 at 11:56amQuote:
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I agree that they would probably look better without it, but on the flip side, the barrel cuffs fit a lot better (i.e. more snugly) than many of the other OTR shirts I've tried.post #575 of 63011/7/12 at 7:13pmpost #576 of 6301/12/13 at 10:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Firefox
Finally got my shirts. They fit great, even after a washing. My only complaints are the absence of a plackett button (which is strange, since even lower-quality dress shirts usually have one) and the laundry tag on the bottom front (it's short enough that I could almost get away with wearing it untucked as a casual shirt). But in terms of fit, it's pretty much the best I've tried to date. No bagginess around the arms or waist, which has always been my biggest beef, and the sleeves are the perfect length.
Now, if only the local store had a better selection of ESF shirts. After shipping and customs duties, I actually paid more than I would have in-store. I wonder if the store can order in patterns/sizes that they don't have in stock...
How much were the duties (as a percentage of purchase price) when you ordered from BB online? The stores in TO don't carry my size, I hoped they'd be able to order to the store so I could avoid duties, no such luck. Ordered two 16.5-37 shirts this morning. I'll post my impressions if anyone in the over 6'5" crowd is interested.post #577 of 6301/17/13 at 7:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by UrsusREX
How much were the duties (as a percentage of purchase price) when you ordered from BB online? The stores in TO don't carry my size, I hoped they'd be able to order to the store so I could avoid duties, no such luck. Ordered two 16.5-37 shirts this morning. I'll post my impressions if anyone in the over 6'5" crowd is interested.
It was pretty brutal. The cost of the actual merchandise was about $186 US. The total fees came to $77.53 (!). That consisted of $37.21 of customs duties (since the shirts are made overseas) and $29.02 HST. Topping it off was a FedEx "rod fee" of $11.30 (including HST), which is essentially a FedEx "FU" fee for not having a customs account.
If one were to buy made-in-North America stuff, they would likely avoid the customs. And the rod fee can be avoided if you have a FedEx shipping account. But otherwise, it's prohibitively expensive. And I guess that's why the Canadian BB retail store can charge higher prices even with the dollar at par.post #578 of 6301/17/13 at 9:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by UrsusREX
How much were the duties (as a percentage of purchase price) when you ordered from BB online? The stores in TO don't carry my size, I hoped they'd be able to order to the store so I could avoid duties, no such luck. Ordered two 16.5-37 shirts this morning. I'll post my impressions if anyone in the over 6'5" crowd is interested.Hmm this is very interesting me to that they could not bring in what you wanted.....That was actually the very FIRST thing I was told when I went into the store here in Vancouver. I was looking for a couple specific pants, and was told by the employee helping me that anything I find that I wanted online, just let him know, and he will bring it in so I don't have to pay any duties, he was very aware of how brutal they were. Odd that your store won't do the same....post #579 of 6301/20/13 at 7:20pmpost #580 of 6301/20/13 at 7:27pmQuote:
Dress shirt oxford may be more refined, with a finer weave and a luster. Sport Shit Oxfords are usually brown and smell pretty badly. Can often stain your skin and the interior of your suits, also causing them to become brown and smelly.
I'd recommend Dress Shirt for sure.post #581 of 6303/7/13 at 6:35pmpost #582 of 6303/10/13 at 1:52amQuote:
they are completely different fits. if you like ESF you will not like Slim fit. i think the difference in body and arms are like 2"!post #583 of 6303/20/13 at 8:50pmpost #584 of 6303/21/13 at 9:20am
- Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 1 minute ago
- › FSoT: Seiko Skx031 Black Bay homage 3 minutes ago
- › Seiko Black Bay homage 4 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 6 minutes ago
- › The Great Cascadia Boot Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › 3sixteen Denim Series, Bracelets, Shirts... 11 minutes ago
- › Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › recreating a david evans pattern - tie to be made by cappelli 23 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 30 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)