Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAquascutumtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandBarbourtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandBelvesttagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandBrionitagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandBrooks Brotherstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandCanalitagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandIsaiatagged by josephnunn, 8/25/14
- brandIvy Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicKitontagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11More
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:58 pm in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SWEATERS, ETC - Tons of Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! - Updated 1/25 Last post on 12/20/14 at 6:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Yesterday at 2:46 pm in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 4-25 Price Drops on Kiton (suit and shirt) Last post on 4/26/11 at 12:20am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!) - Page 41post #601 of 132711/12/12 at 4:24pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #602 of 132711/14/12 at 7:29pmHandled Sartorio by Kiton suit, better tailoring than mainline but craftsmanship is so so, not very neat finishing. But the main complaint is a fabric. It is a rag. Dull color, cheap and worn looking wool that should not be used for suits of this price-range.
So Sartorio suit is ok if fabric is satisfactory. the cut is a bit like Zegna with low button stance.post #603 of 132711/14/12 at 7:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Medwed
Handled Sartorio by Kiton suit, better tailoring than mainline but craftsmanship is so so, not very neat finishing. But the main complaint is a fabric. It is a rag. Dull color, cheap and worn looking wool that should not be used for suits of this price-range.
So Sartorio suit is ok if fabric is satisfactory. the cut is a bit like Zegna with low button stance.
So when you say "better tailoring" you mean it fits YOU better than mainline? I'm only wondering because you follow that up with the craftsmanship being so so and the fabric being a rag etc.post #604 of 132711/15/12 at 6:59ampost #605 of 132711/15/12 at 11:54amQuote:
Should I have used "more flattering cut" rather than tailoring? Perhaps. My gripe with mainline are: ugly roll on third button that makes it neither 2+1 nor 3 buttons, and unexplainable length of the suit jacket coupled with banana shaped pants (too wide in a seat and thigh tapering sharply to 7.4") a-la Cozak pants.post #606 of 132711/16/12 at 4:29pmQuote:
Caruso makes RLBL. I have a couple of RLBL suits and bought a Caruso made suit off Ebay. What I got was a completely different cut from the RLBL Anthony cut. They might be able to do it MTM, but I'd try to make sure the person measuring you knows what you want, super high arm holes, tapered sleeves, etc.post #607 of 132711/17/12 at 7:31pm
This is my first post. I’ve been lurking for a while and I want to thank many of you for greatly enhancing my sartorial knowledge.
A couple of years ago, I made a conscious adult decision to start dressing much more stylishly in most situations. I started by evaluating and selecting the styles, colors, patterns and fit that best compliment my physical characteristics (42L with an 8-inch drop). I also assessed my wardrobe and ended up donating all the items that didn’t fit me properly or were of mediocre quality. Then I made a list of new clothing items that I wanted to acquire and carefully revamped my wardrobe choosing clothing made with quality fabrics, materials, construction and tailoring. I started with a brand new Navy Blue BB Golden Fleece Fitzgerald suit (made in Italy) and a new pair of Black Allen Edmonds Strand dress shoes, and worked my way up from there. I now have three fully canvassed, hand tailored staple suits (including one MTM), four fully-canvassed, hand tailored sport coats and numerous shirts, ties, shoes, coats and accessories.
This and other threads have been very valuable in helping me build a quality wardrobe so far. I’ve also become very partial to Italian fabrics, styles and designers over the past few years. I definitely feel more comfortable and confident in well-tailored, quality attire and accessories that I’ve carefully selected to match my individual style. It’s still a work in progress though.
I didn’t intend to hijack this thread for my first post either…post #608 of 132711/19/12 at 6:21amHello all,
Sorry for the (possibly) off-topic but I am in the process of getting a suit on a very short notice (don't ask) and I am currently considering either one from Lanvin or one from Balenciaga. Thanks to this (highly informative) thread, I am aware that Lanvin suits (the mainline at least) is made by Caruso, but who makes Balenciaga suits? I would think their quality would be on par with the "Very good suits", but I have found no evidence on who the actual manufacturer is.
Thank you in advance and again, I am sorry for the off-topicpost #609 of 132711/19/12 at 7:10ampost #610 of 132711/22/12 at 4:28amI ended up getting a Lanvin suit. Since I would like to know the manufacturer I though I should upload a picture of the inside tags in case someone can recognize whether it is made by Caruso or Pal Zileri. Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend!
2012-11-22 12.51.39.jpg 1975k .jpg file
2012-11-22 12.51.39.jpg 1975k .jpg filepost #611 of 132711/22/12 at 7:16ampost #612 of 132711/22/12 at 11:41ampost #613 of 132711/22/12 at 11:58ampost #614 of 132711/22/12 at 1:12pmThank you for your help "othertravel".
To be honest, i was hoping for a Caruso made suit. I don't know that much about Pal Zileri I'm afraid. I think (and hope I'm right) that is is at least fully canvased since for 2k, a half-canvassed suit would be a rip-off. Do you by any chance how it compares to a Caruso-made Lanvin suit or if it stands closer to Zileri White label (would be my guess unfortunately) or Sartoriale? Thanks again and if anyone has any more info please chip-inpost #615 of 132711/22/12 at 2:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Archimedes
Thank you for your help "othertravel".
To be honest, i was hoping for a Caruso made suit. I don't know that much about Pal Zileri I'm afraid. I think (and hope I'm right) that is is at least fully canvased since for 2k, a half-canvassed suit would be a rip-off. Do you by any chance how it compares to a Caruso-made Lanvin suit or if it stands closer to Zileri White label (would be my guess unfortunately) or Sartoriale? Thanks again and if anyone has any more info please chip-in
I was in a store in SF that sold Pal Zileri mainline and also handled made to measure orders as well.. Same fit as Canali Mainline and I feel the same level of quality.. I was told by the SA that there more than 250 stitches canvas wise... so I would put it a step below Isai if that helps, atleast from what the SA told me and the feel of it.. but really good fabrics though..
- The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)
Styleforum Top Picks
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12
- › ESPN=UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano... 7 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 47 seconds ago
- › GET LIVE=Rousey vs Zingano Live ufc 54 seconds ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › FREE TV=Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano Live ufc 1 minute ago
- › HD TV???////BYU VS Gonzaga Live ncaa basketball League 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 3 minutes ago
- › BYU VS Gonzaga Live Stream 3 minutes ago
- › Proposal Stage, 2 weeks!: Viberg for Styleforum preorders Round1 -... 6 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...