Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAquascutumtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandBarbourtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandBelvesttagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandBrionitagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandBrooks Brotherstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandCanalitagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- brandIvy Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicKitontagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11More
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 4-25 Price Drops on Kiton (suit and shirt) Last post on 4/26/11 at 12:20am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SWEATERS, ETC - Tons of Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! - Updated 7/23 Last post on 4/28/14 at 6:48pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Today at 4:41 am in Classic Menswear
- Tom Ford - Contrast Collar - Blue Striped - French Cuff - 42, 16 1/2 Last post on 4/16/12 at 8:59pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!) - Page 81post #1201 of 130312/22/13 at 12:18pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #1202 of 130312/22/13 at 12:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by dirnelli
I just posted a new review on my blog about after-sales service from various RTW brands, a topic not yet addressed in this thread:
Is the cost of alteration done whether by in-house tailors or not covered in the price of the items they sell?post #1203 of 130312/22/13 at 1:05pmBasic alterations at the time of purchase are almost always included in the price of RTW clothes from reputable brands -- except for Boggi which charges extra even for a trouser cuff.
Returning for alterations as I did, years after the purchase, is highly unusual and not budgeted by any brand I've ever heard of.post #1204 of 130312/22/13 at 1:41pmQuote:
If the item was purchased from the physical store or from it's online website, I can agree that it's exceptional customer service that they do free alterations even after months or years from when it was purchased.
But if it was bought somewhere else, especially from a secondary market, I wouldn't consider it lack of customer loyalty if they refused to do any free alterations.post #1205 of 130312/22/13 at 1:56pmYou're right, rather than speak of loyalty, I guess I'm calling out the after sales shortfalls of some of these brands compared to their top-tier branding campaigns.
I mean, hey, if Canali, Smalto and Cifonelli flagship stores will alter some suits that I didn't even buy there, while Ralph Lauren. Zegna and Corneliani won't, it just goes to show who is customer-centric and who is not.
Special call-out to Ralph Lauren flagship because the suit I brought in was purchased there.post #1206 of 130312/22/13 at 2:31pmpost #1207 of 130312/23/13 at 12:07am
Yes, in the Ralph Lauren mansion, not some franchisee. Tailors on location and all.
Completely inconsistent policy:
They had already done alterations for free for me -- at that time, I dealt with the same salesman who had initially sold me the suit. (I even ordered the waistcoat made-to-measure.) But when I went back after weight loss, the store manager said they were going to charge me this time around.
My initial obliging salesman had left Ralph Lauren in the meantime, and this manager didn't want to play along with what his salesman had done for me the first time. But the tailor who took down my new measurements was the same as before, he knew the whole history and seemed pretty willing to oblige once again. It was not until the following day that I got a no-go phone call from the manager, who was not even present the day before when we had taken down the new measurements with his obliging tailor.
Thanks to the internet and forums like SF, what some RTW brands think they are saving on the one hand, they can end up losing in e-reputation on the other hand. They would do well to view customer experience as a whole, over the duration, not just a fire-and-forget at the moment of sale. Hopefully, with enough posts like these, they will start to treat every customer as a brand ambassador. (The brands that I thanked in my blog review would appear to already be working at that level.)
If I bothered to write-up this anecdote, it's mainly because it runs so contrary to what you would expect from Ralph Lauren, given how much emphasis they have put on the customer experience in their flagship stores. Heck, I'm even on their private sales mailing list, which not every customer gets to be on. I'm also invited to Ralph Lauren sponsored events via co-branded mailing lists with the major blogs in Paris. You'd think some alert would pop-up on their computer screen before calling me back the next day with a complete 180.
As a social experiment, I may walk in again some day if I hear there is a new manager, just to see if the new guy flips back the other way. When brands seem to run such inconsistent after sales policies, you just never know what to expect, you could always get lucky.post #1208 of 130312/30/13 at 9:19pmpost #1209 of 130312/30/13 at 9:44pmpost #1210 of 130312/30/13 at 9:52pmpost #1211 of 13031/12/14 at 10:27ampost #1212 of 13031/12/14 at 10:43pmTo add content to this thread, here are some reviews of Japanese RTW suit brands by SeamasterLux (Ring Jacket, United Arrows, etc.):
http://paul-lux.tumblr.com/post/72234938183/menswear-in-tokyopost #1213 of 13031/26/14 at 2:55pmpost #1214 of 13031/27/14 at 12:33ampost #1215 of 13031/27/14 at 12:29pmQuote:
FSC suits are made by Martin Greenfieldand should be ranked accordingly.
- The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)
Styleforum Top Picks
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12
- › Leather jacket confusion 10 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 11 minutes ago
- › How many pairs of jeans do you own? 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 13 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 15 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 19 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 24 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 30 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 31 minutes ago
- › French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and... 32 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)