or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Any thoughts on the new Club Monaco Draper-esque suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any thoughts on the new Club Monaco Draper-esque suit?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm in the market for a new suit. I'm very seriously considering going the MTM route for the first time. Perhaps TaT or Steven Aver? (any other economical recommendations are welcome). I do want something slimmer, and was wondering what people thought of this: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...ens-suits.html http://www.clubmonaco.com/092009/m1.asp (unfortunately I can't seem to find any pictures of anyone actually wearing the damn thing)
post #2 of 13
For something similar, looks like you'd want to go with TaT.
post #3 of 13
Not sure if things have changed between the summer and fall lines at Club Monaco. I haven't tried on the new stuff, but the summer jackets that I tried on were, for me, really awkward. Very high buttoning point, short jacket length, low armholes, slim but boxy shape, stiff construction. The fall line is, supposedly, going to be better, but it's really the sort of thing that you need to try on. Some of their stuff is quite good, and quite good value, but some of it is just garbage.
post #4 of 13
I'd probably go with TaT but if you're looking at mall type brands, you might consider Banana Republic.

I also noticed that Macy's house brand (Alfani?) is selling suit separates that look somewhat Mad Men inspired.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Stiff View Post
Not sure if things have changed between the summer and fall lines at Club Monaco. I haven't tried on the new stuff, but the summer jackets that I tried on were, for me, really awkward. Very high buttoning point, short jacket length, low armholes, slim but boxy shape, stiff construction. The fall line is, supposedly, going to be better, but it's really the sort of thing that you need to try on. Some of their stuff is quite good, and quite good value, but some of it is just garbage.

Many of these characteristics embody the true "Mad Men" cut, so it's likely intentional. Contrary to what some believe Black Fleece is much more Mad Men than RL Black Label. The suits at Club Monaco fit like a Thom Browne black fleece. I tried one from each company on back-to-back today, very similar. Obviously CM is copying TB. The CMs are slightly longer and are all single vent. They also come surgeons cuffs, which is a nice feature but you can't adjust the sleeve length at all b/c the 4th button is probably 1/4 inch from the end of the sleeve. Either way, for about $500 its worth it if thats the cut you are looking for, and the CM will likely go on sale in a month. CM has three styles, light grey, grey-black mix and navy stripe.
post #6 of 13
Surgeon's cuffs on RTW have got to be the single most infuriating trend of the past 5 years.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenkin View Post
Surgeon's cuffs on RTW have got to be the single most infuriating trend of the past 5 years.

I could not agree with you more. Personally I find Surgeon's Cuffs rather annoying.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVoer View Post
Obviously CM is copying TB.

Close - CM's head menswear designer actually worked for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece before going over to CM. I own a pair of the navy cotton pants from the Wright line and I like them quite a bit. The jackets weren't doing much for me though.
post #9 of 13
I wonder why TB gets all the credit for the short jacket look then?
post #10 of 13
Don Draper would never buy anything that buttoned at his nips or flashed his ass.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat View Post
Don Draper would never buy anything that buttoned at his nips or flashed his ass.

I'm not so sure about that I've seen him wear quite a few three button suits that are rather short.
post #12 of 13
The suits not bad I like the cut but for this time of year would go with a slightly darker color.
post #13 of 13
Guys, I'm not sure if you guys are aware but Thom Browne used to be at Club Monaco (owned by Ralph lauren) for a while before moving on to his own label thus the similarities and inspiration.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Any thoughts on the new Club Monaco Draper-esque suit?