or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Are You Going to Get a Swine Flu Shot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are You Going to Get a Swine Flu Shot?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I'm conflicted at the moment. Not a big fan of immunization shots but I also hate being sick.
post #2 of 25
lol. no.
post #3 of 25
No. I haven't had a flu shot since I was kid.
post #4 of 25
Doctor told me I had to. Didn't care one way or the other since I was there already.
post #5 of 25
aren't some people coming down with Guillen Barre as a result of the shot?
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
Doctor told me I had to. Didn't care one way or the other since I was there already.

kind of doubt you got a swine flu shot

also living on a college campus, YES
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post
Guillen Barre

Ascending paralysis
post #8 of 25
According to my own doctor (35 years & running), These flus are man made. They are cultivated in laboratories by our loving governments & used as biological warfare against us.
In their evil deeds they do speak some truth by 'warning' us before they cull the herd with loving TV ads 'Its flu season. We love you, get your shot.'
It has already been exposed ages ago about mercury in the vaccines.
Many states will use intimidation such as 'your kids have to get their shots. Its the law.'
It is not the law at all. Do your research. Know thy enemy.
The flu's are real. but their origins are purely man made.
Google it. It's all documented.
And, no..I will not ever get any vaccine.
Excersize and proper diet (tons of raw veggies) and some Selenium w-Beta Carotine to further boost the immune system are the best tactics and are natural.
If you use public transit, avoid people who cough, sneeze, slobber, etc.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered View Post
According to my own doctor (35 years & running), These flus are man made. They are cultivated in laboratories by our loving governments & used as biological warfare against us.
In their evil deeds they do speak some truth by 'warning' us before they cull the herd with loving TV ads 'Its flu season. We love you, get your shot.'
It has already been exposed ages ago about mercury in the vaccines.
Many states will use intimidation such as 'your kids have to get their shots. Its the law.'
It is not the law at all. Do your research. Know thy enemy.
The flu's are real. but their origins are purely man made.
Google it. It's all documented.
And, no..I will not ever get any vaccine.
Excersize and proper diet (tons of raw veggies) and some Selenium w-Beta Carotine to further boost the immune system are the best tactics and are natural.
If you use public transit, avoid people who cough, sneeze, slobber, etc.

post #10 of 25
Ive never taken a flu shot and never will. On the off-chance you do contract the flu as a healthy adult, what's the big deal? A couple days of puking and the price is right on TV.

If it gets that bad, I'll just have my woman give me a saline IV.

I am rather pissed she is being forced into a getting a shot as a healthcare worker in NY. Some panel of bureaucrats get caught up in the hysteria, and so they can 'send the right message' to the public, they coerce their workforce into injecting themselves with a dead virus under penalty of termination. It all comes down to some official wanted to be seen as 'doing something,' and proactive to his boss.
post #11 of 25
My 7.6 works in a 90% hispanic 90% below poverty school with confirmed cases of H1N1. I will kop this vaccine.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post
aren't some people coming down with Guillen Barre as a result of the shot?

I know this was a problem with the swine flu vaccine in the 70s. My uncle had a swine flu vaccine back then, and he wound up with Guillain Barre. I hadn't heard that it was an issue with this round of vaccines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post
I am rather pissed she is being forced into a getting a shot as a healthcare worker in NY. Some panel of bureaucrats get caught up in the hysteria, and so they can 'send the right message' to the public, they coerce their workforce into injecting themselves with a dead virus under penalty of termination. It all comes down to some official wanted to be seen as 'doing something,' and proactive to his boss.

I agree that the hysteria is a bit much, but I don't have a problem with healthcare workers being required to get the vaccine. I'm young and healthy, if I get the flu it will probably be no nig deal. However, healthcare workers deal with people for whom the flu, regardless of strain, could be deadly.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
I'm young and healthy

and you have a higher probability to get problems than others, it's a misbelief that old and weak people will be more affected. they will be more infected, yes - but young and healthy people have a huge chance to die within 1 or 2 days. the old and weak are sick for a week or 2, but they survive. so yes, I will get a flu shot ..
post #14 of 25
yeah, 25 people so far this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
I know this was a problem with the swine flu vaccine in the 70s. My uncle had a swine flu vaccine back then, and he wound up with Guillain Barre. I hadn't heard that it was an issue with this round of vaccines.



I agree that the hysteria is a bit much, but I don't have a problem with healthcare workers being required to get the vaccine. I'm young and healthy, if I get the flu it will probably be no nig deal. However, healthcare workers deal with people for whom the flu, regardless of strain, could be deadly.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldarchon View Post
and you have a higher probability to get problems than others, it's a misbelief that old and weak people will be more affected. they will be more infected, yes - but young and healthy people have a huge chance to die within 1 or 2 days. the old and weak are sick for a week or 2, but they survive. so yes, I will get a flu shot ..

That's not true in this case. Young people have a higher probability of contracting swine flu because they've never been exposed to it. They're using 24 as a cutoff for "young people." This group wasn't alive for prior H1N1 pandemics, nor have they received H1N1 as a part of their flu vaccines. As a consequence, their body has no immunity for it. People over this age have likely either had a vaccine with H1N1 as part of the cocktail, or they've been otherwise exposed. They may not have a full-strength immune response, but they're more likely to be able to resist it than younger people.

Because of all of the above, people under age 24 are more likely to become infected, thus the emphasis on vaccination for this group. However, they are not more likely to have complications (as has been the case in past pandemics).

FWIW I plan to get the seasonal flu vaccine. It's free through work. If they offer an H1N1 vaccine I'll take that as well. I'm a big proponent of the concept of herd immunity, so I really think everyone who can get a vaccine should go ahead and do it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Are You Going to Get a Swine Flu Shot?