or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Whats the most you've spent on a T-shirt?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whats the most you've spent on a T-shirt? - Page 3

post #31 of 92
$120 each for several Lad Musician tees. It is definitely more than just an overpriced designer tee shirt-- the fabric quality far exceeds anything you can buy from AA or Alternative. Even my wife whom NEVER comments on the fabric quality of shirts I wear commented on it when she touched it for the first time. And the nicer quality fabric not only feels softer and smoother, it looks better too!

I'll never understand why so many people insist their button down shirts be of the highest quality with mother of pearl buttons and high quality fabrics, yet for t-shirts AA is somehow the perfect tee. I suppose if one wears button down shirts all the time and rarely wears t-shirts, then this attitude makes sense. However, for myself I wear tee shirts far more often than button downs so I feel it makes sense to spend the most money on what I'll get the most wear out of.

The other issue is there aren't many truly high quality tee shirts sold in the US. Most of the expensive t-shirts which are readily available are overpriced brand name crap of low quality-- e.g. Ed Hardy or Nom de Guerre which is printed on Fruit of the Loom tees!). Considering what most people have experience with, it is understandable why AA looks like a great choice and anything more than $25 is overpriced.
post #32 of 92
Maybe $25. I don't see the point of breaking the bank on a tee. It's not something that ages well and it seems like the quality/construction ceiling is pretty low to justify any more than maybe $40 or $50.
post #33 of 92
Are they a cotton/cashmere blend? If they're 100% cotton then...uhhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1 View Post
$120 each for several Lad Musician tees. It is definitely more than just an overpriced designer tee shirt-- the fabric quality far exceeds anything you can buy from AA or Alternative. Even my wife whom NEVER comments on the fabric quality of shirts I wear commented on it when she touched it for the first time. And the nicer quality fabric not only feels softer and smoother, it looks better too!

I'll never understand why so many people insist their button down shirts be of the highest quality with mother of pearl buttons and high quality fabrics, yet for t-shirts AA is somehow the perfect tee. I suppose if one wears button down shirts all the time and rarely wears t-shirts, then this attitude makes sense. However, for myself I wear tee shirts far more often than button downs so I feel it makes sense to spend the most money on what I'll get the most wear out of.

The other issue is there aren't many truly high quality tee shirts sold in the US. Most of the expensive t-shirts which are readily available are overpriced brand name crap of low quality-- e.g. Ed Hardy or Nom de Guerre which is printed on Fruit of the Loom tees!). Considering what most people have experience with, it is understandable why AA looks like a great choice and anything more than $25 is overpriced.
post #34 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post
Maybe $25. I don't see the point of breaking the bank on a tee. It's not something that ages well and it seems like the quality/construction ceiling is pretty low to justify any more than maybe $40 or $50.

What do you mean by a tee does not age well? Are you referring to what happens to a shirt's shape and fabric over time after repeated wearings/washings?

Many of the higher quality Japanese tees hold their shape and the fabric doesn't pill much at all after repeated washings. But most of the cheaper tees like AA certainly do deteriorate quickly if worn and washed frequently.
post #35 of 92
Pretty much. Granted my experience with the higher end tees is almost non-existent, but no amount of babying has prevented most of my tees from pilling or look a bit shabby after enough wears.
post #36 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinbro View Post
Are they a cotton/cashmere blend? If they're 100% cotton then...uhhh...
They are 100% cotton that easily feels as soft as a cotton/cashmere blend, yet far smoother and almost silky like. When I first felt the fabric I thought it must be a blend of silk, rayon, or something else, but it claims to be 100% cotton. Oh well, I figured most people on this forum would not approve. My friends all think I'm crazy for paying $20/lb or more for coffee, but that's what most of the better Ethiopian and Kenyan beans cost. But hey, you can get Starbucks beans at Costco for $5/lb and its not too bad, right? Fact is, tee shirts made out of really high quality cottons and with nice construction quality cost more than $25. Please show me the tee for $25 that has equal (or better) fabric than the Lad shirts. I maintain that it does not exist. The closest I have personally seen is MofM 100% cotton tees for $60. The fabric quality is not quite as good as Lad, but it is close. So it is likely a better value.
post #37 of 92
Yeah, I mostly posted that to see how defensive you'd get since I know they're just cotton. I just bought a Wings+Horns long sleeve for ~$70 so I'm not judging.
post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinbro View Post
Yeah, I mostly posted that to see how defensive you'd get since I know they're just cotton. I just bought a Wings+Horns long sleeve for ~$70 so I'm not judging.

Yeah, I bought one of the new W+H long sleeve tees too. While I like it well enough, the fabric quality is not as good as the Lad or MofM shirts that I have. However the W+H shirt has the more unique looking fabric and is warmer, so I figured it would be good to have for winter.

What about tee shirts that are made of materials other than cotton or polyester? Depending on the fabric type would people here be willing to pay more than the magic $25 price point? For example, I have a MofM tee shirt that is made out of a wool and rayon blend. It feels almost like a thin, short sleeve sweater yet looks totally like t-shirt.
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinbro View Post
Yeah, I mostly posted that to see how defensive you'd get since I know they're just cotton. I just bought a Wings+Horns long sleeve for ~$70 so I'm not judging.

'Just cotton'

'Just coffee beans'

'Just porterhouse steak'

'Just fish'

'Just wood'


The textile industry is crying right now, I don't see how people who spend so much on clothes can be so ignorant.
post #40 of 92
I would love to try a Lad tee seeing how BB1 vouches for them, but I'm afraid I'll get hooked on and wear them exclusively.

For now I'm content with the Uniqlo V-necks, and I thikn they keep their shape real well for what it's worth.

Anyone here tried enzymes wash before to achieve that worn/used look that is used
by a lot of designers out there? I would love to try that myself.
post #41 of 92
approximately $300 for a MMM skew-neck cut on bias pocket tee. I'd buy another in grey or white if they came out more often, it got a lot of use in different outfits, more so than a button up for me.
post #42 of 92
You're right, what is it like Xenox? I don't even think you understand that my post was meant as a light-hearted poke at him.

But please, without google, tell me about the textile industry, the cotton industry, and why a Lad tee is worth $120. I'll save you the time and tell you that you, in fact, don't know shit all why or how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoX101 View Post
'Just cotton'

'Just coffee beans'

'Just porterhouse steak'

'Just fish'

'Just wood'


The textile industry is crying right now, I don't see how people who spend so much on clothes can be so ignorant.
post #43 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1 View Post
Yeah, I bought one of the new W+H long sleeve tees too. While I like it well enough, the fabric quality is not as good as the Lad or MofM shirts that I have. However the W+H shirt has the more unique looking fabric and is warmer, so I figured it would be good to have for winter.

What about tee shirts that are made of materials other than cotton or polyester? Depending on the fabric type would people here be willing to pay more than the magic $25 price point? For example, I have a MofM tee shirt that is made out of a wool and rayon blend. It feels almost like a thin, short sleeve sweater yet looks totally like t-shirt.

I actually like rayon blend or even very slight poly or nylon blend in cottons, both can increase durability and color retention in darker colors, help keep shape better, and sometimes increase the cooling factor and the fabrics don't have to look cheesy if made right. Textiles have come a long way.
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinbro View Post
You're right, what is it like Xenox? I don't even think you understand that my post was meant as a light-hearted poke at him. But please, without google, tell me about the textile industry, the cotton industry, and why a Lad tee is worth $120. I'll save you the time and tell you that you, in fact, don't know shit all why or how.
Yes I understand your joke, but you believe your words. I think I should clarify, I didn't mean ignorance in the way of not knowing the specifics of the textile industry, but in that there is no difference between one cotton and another. I don't know the specific reasons for why Cotton A costs more than Cotton B, honestly I couldn't tell you, I'm not in the industry and haven't done much research on it. But it is painfully clear to me simply by feeling the fabric of say an Ann Demeulemeester asymmetric cardigan; that the cotton its made of, which gives no resistance to the body and drapes extremely well, is on a different level to the cotton t-shirts they sell at target.
post #45 of 92
$75 on the 45 RPM t-shirt I'm wearing right now. It was marked down from $150, so...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Whats the most you've spent on a T-shirt?