• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy traditional trench coat

BareSolid

Reaction score
I don't want some fashion forward thing, I want the authentic, REAL ternch coat. The classic. But I can't bloody find it anywhere. Most of the ones I've seen barely go past the crotch and are made of some crap material with fake buckles and plastic buttons and whatnot.

So, this is why I need your help!

Where can I find a good classic trench coat online for a decent price? i.e. less than £500

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
POLO.COM
BrooksBrothers.com
Burrberry.com
Aquascutum from Yoox.com

BareSolid

Reaction score
Couldn't find any on the web sites. Point me to the specific Burberry/Aqua link?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a Grenfell coat. More traditional than recent Burberry's or Aquascutum. If you can get your hands on a vintage/deadstock Invertere it's even better.

Artigas

Reaction score
Make sure the armholes are sufficiently high, so your movement won't be impeded as you raise your rifle or scramble over the top of the trench wall.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know a guy if you want beltless

small_200px-The_Raincoat_part_2_Kramer_Morty_Seinfeld.png

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Get a Grenfell coat. More traditional than recent Burberry's or Aquascutum. If you can get your hands on a vintage/deadstock Invertere it's even better.

Thank you very much!

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog

I was always told that Burberry invented the trench coat. Even if they didn't, they are make very nice trench coats that are very easy to find; the OP needs to look places other than their second rate website. A store maybe even.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Just found this company:

http://www.raincoatsdirect.co.uk/web...tegoryId=10401

They say their trenches are hand-made in England and sell for £275, with a 10 per cent discount that's £247.50 (if I have got that right). The coat looks to fill all the traditional criteria. I shall phone them to confirm that their coats have horn buttons, or whether they are imitation horn.

Anyone heard of them before?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Only royalists wear real horn.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Just found this company:

http://www.raincoatsdirect.co.uk/web...tegoryId=10401

They say their trenches are hand-made in England and sell for £275, with a 10 per cent discount that's £247.50 (if I have got that right). The coat looks to fill all the traditional criteria. I shall phone them to confirm that their coats have horn buttons, or whether they are imitation horn.

Anyone heard of them before?

Hand made in England?

If it sounds too good to be true....

marshtj

Reaction score
I am interested in their Fly front coat, but I'm not sure about which color to order. I like the black, but there is a tread that alludes to black coats only being for very formal or funeral situations. What do you think about the stone color? Or, is beige ok if I exclusively wear grey suits with black shoes?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marshtj
I am interested in their Fly front coat, but I'm not sure about which color to order. I like the black, but there is a tread that alludes to black coats only being for very formal or funeral situations. What do you think about the stone color? Or, is beige ok if I exclusively wear grey suits with black shoes?

I'd probably be more likely to go for beige myself. It seems more 'human' than stone (khaki) as a colour for a coat.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Vintage Burberry is the real deal (Thomas Burberry invented the trench coat for soldiers in WWI; hence the name "trench" coat). If you want to be uber-traditional about it, look on eBay for old-stock Burberry examples.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Vintage Burberry is the real deal (Thomas Burberry invented the trench coat for soldiers in WWI; hence the name "trench" coat). If you want to be uber-traditional about it, look on eBay for old-stock Burberry examples.

Good point. I don't really like second-hand gear, mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads